“Great value and location for Johns Hopkins patients”

Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
“Great value and location for Johns Hopkins patients”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I've had to come to Baltimore for several visits to Johns Hopkins and have found this hotel to be wonderful. The service is excellent with a very friendly and helpful staff. The location is ideal both for proximity to the hospital and to Inner Harbor for a bit of relaxation. The shuttle service is quite handy and reliable. I found the rooms to be nice, clean, and comfortable. The fact that it is a renovated bank makes it quite charming.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hiebaltimore, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for the opportunity to visit with us and we look forward to your returning again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Arabic first
Mays Landing, New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband & I just did the weekend in Baltimore. I found this hotel on priceline. I was a little leary, reading some of the comments, but how surprised were we! They provide a nice breakfast, and they also offer a free shuttle service to anywhere within a one mile radius from the hotel. That was great, as we had dinner reservations (that was within the 1 mile) so we didn't have to worry about loosing our parking spot or drinking & driving. The rooms are a bit small but managable... free WiFi.., but overall it was great! Nice hotel for the price... and breakfast included!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to have you visit with us.
Central Islip, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I spend about 70 nights a year in hotels. So after making the reservation on Hotwire I read the reviews and like many others, was questioning my choice. How pleasantly surprised I was to find a beautiful hotel in a very convenient location. What may be unnerving to people is the hotel's proximity to the I-83 overpass which does throw shadows on the street below. There is a hotel shuttle on the hour and the Charm City Circulator - a free city shuttle bus - stops right on the side of the hotel and will take you to Johns Hopkins, Harbor East, etc. The Juvenile Justice center doesn't present any problems to hotel guests (it is a court/detention facility after all, people are on their best behavior and there are plenty of cameras and law enforcement around). There is normal, not excessive city street noise after 10 pm. I stayed on the 5th floor and had no problems with "shaking". This property has no real kitchen so take the "breakfast" with a grain of salt. The dining area was adequately sized with plenty of seating. The carry-out location across the street had good food, was reasonable and seemed to be clean. I had a rental car and came back one night around 12:30 am and found a spot in the lot. Overall I think some of the reviewers of this hotel have unrealistic standards and make their "perceptions" reality. Good value, very clean property, enjoyed my stay, would definitely stay again. Lighten up people!

Room Tip: Top floor had nice views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your visit.
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I booked the hotel on Hotwire and then read the reviews on trip advisor. I wanted to get my money back. Bad reviews. Unsafe. Bad attitudes. Here the real story, my 16 year old daughter and I were delayed in Chicago last night for hours and our flight arrived BWI at 1am. I frantically called the hotel to see if the "front door" would be unlocked and was assured by James that it would be unlocked and that they were anticipating our late arrival. Upon arrival, the hotel lobby was nice and Dave and James were efficient, professional and pleasant. Our room was above average and we just finished breakfast which was yummy! Let's say there taste in lobby music rocks! Old blue eyes! Holiday inn espress works for us. Good job team!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Mary12348
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate hearing about yourexperience well visiting with us.
Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Clean, good value, nice breakfast, close enough to downtown harbor area. Unsafe neighborhood (next to juvenile court), broken glass from cars by parking area. They only have 30 parking spots in their private lot. If you come later in the day you park on the street by the meters. The desk staff was great in the morning, terrible at night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MichiganMainejunkie
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear MichiganMainejunkie,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are always happy to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had during your stay. We want our guests to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our staff at all times. Your comments will help us improve our service to become a better hotel.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Half of my tv channels do not work. Wireless is spotty and very slow. I'm on the 5th floor and can feel the building shake!!! Link on my emailed conformation took me to another part of Gay street. It was an extremely bad part of town. Since I was walking from the train, I was panicking as it was getting dark. I called the hotel only to be placed on hold all 3 times I called. I will never stay here again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Jim C,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments. I want to assure you we work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. Please accept my sincerest apology if we fell below your expectations on this day particularly with the internet connection and the staff service. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Gaithersburg
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is a recent entry into the Charm City pantheon of accommodations that are beginning to arise along the eastern edge of downtown. In the case of the Holiday Inn Express, the guest will spend the night in what was once the 20th Century Old Town Bank- the night deposit box is still fixed into the buildings northwest corner. The neighborhood, which is a few blocks east of City Hall and adjacent to the historic Jonestown district, can be best described as “under development.”

Whatever grandeur it once had is still present as one steps into the soaring lobby; look up and gaze at the beautiful gilded ceiling supported by massive Corinthian columns. (See below.) To the left, is the Registration Desk; to the left is the breakfast lounge, where hungry guests may gorge on a complimentary breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, cereal, breads, fruits and coffee.

The rooms are clean, functional and comfortable, with many of them offering nice views of the downtown. In fact, my room provided me a nice view of the aforementioned City Hall (See Picture). The bathroom was large enough and stocked with the usual compliment of toiletries and fluffy towels. That said, there were no problems and my stay was enjoyable.

As stated in previous reviews, the hotel offers a free shuttle that can whisk you about the town. Should you not wish to avail yourself of this service, but lack cab fare, please note that the free Charm City Circulator Bus (Green Route), which loops between Fells Point and Johns Hopkins Campus, runs right by the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank NeedPivo
Looking forward to your returning in the future. Thank you for your comments.