“nice hotel for family with teenagers and pets” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown

Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Long Island City, New York
“nice hotel for family with teenagers and pets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed because I bought tickets to attend a new year's concert at Baltimore Sound Stage. After spending so many hours of research this was the closest hotel to the concert walking distance. The price was affordable for a family mini-vacation. The hotel is pet friendly, the cost for a pet is $50 per stay not per night. The only complain that I have is that the head board of the beds were dusty. I am a clean freak and I can say that I know for a fact they do not clean the top of bed head boards, top of pictures frames, and top of mirrors. The bathroom was nicely clean, except the bathroom curtain needs to be replaced. Everything else was excellent. The room was extremely clean except for the minors details that I just mentioned. The staff were very nice and friendly; Samantha was the front desk receptionist that welcomed us. Yadira, the lady responsible for the breakfast was also very nice and always made sure everything was clean. The hotel is great I will stay there again but the location is awful for someone that is not used seeing homeless and people stopping begging for money. Even at the port there were people following asking for money. This was very uncomfortable because I did not feel safe walking outside the Gallery. If you are a New Yorker you would not mine walking 10 minutes to reach Inner Harbor. The parking was $12 per night. My husband was walking our dog around midnight and was stopped by the cops and the officer asked him rudely if he was drunk. The police was not friendly at all. Make sure you bring water since the hotel only has vender machines and does not offer free bottles of water.

Room Tip: Room 107 is bigger that some other room I was able to see when housekeeping was cleaning them. As s...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Marisela74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Arabic first
Wood-Ridge, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed here in December 2001 on a business trip. My needs are few, I just wanted to be fairly close to the offices I wa visiting, and this hotel suited my needs just fine. I wouldn't stay here as a tourist, just since it's really a little beyond walking distance to the inner harbor hot spots. It has a tiny paking lot for $12/night, isn't really in a great neighborhood, and has no restaurant besides the breakfast nook. Otherwise, it's a steal compared to other hotels closer to the inner harbor. My room was very clean, the free internet was fast, and there's plenty of take-out/eat-in restaurants in the area. The lobby is suprisingly spacious for a small hotel, no doubt because it was a former bank. There are offices even built into the old vault behind the reception desk. Check-in and out was super-fast. The flat-screen TV, refrigerator, coffee maker, and microwave were all in perfect working order. For business, I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rodyk
Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

I arrived at 2:30am after a long trip from overseas. Check in service was stellar - friendly and informative. This hotel is almost walking distance to Johns Hopkins. Rooms are well worth the price and very comfortable. Breakfast area very nice with better selection than most hotels offer for free.

2 Thank JaneCasablanca
Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I checked in late and the front desk was very accomodating, offering me a shuttle to the local restaraunt area. That is where it ended. The room was older, worn looking. The tub had huge black hairs on the curtains. Parking was poor. There was no room in the tiny lot so I had to park in the alley near the hotel. I was going to walk the 4 blocks back from the restaraunt, but felt unsafe, so took a 4 block cab ride, since shuttle service ended at 9:30. The hotel was ok, the staff was ok, but the area is TERRIBLE.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Segalini09
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

I spent 5 nights at this property. On arriving at the hotel, I must admit that from the outside it looked like a very basic property & I was prepared to accept that I would be staying in just an average hotel. When I entered the lobby, my whole impression of the place started to change. The lobby is beautiful and very welcoming. The hotel employees were very courteous & helpful for my entire stay. Having a courtesy shuttle was extremely convenient, and the breakfast every morning was more than adequate. As a travel agent, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to my clients.

1 Thank MK_P2123
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed here last year for a wedding. The hotel is nice as were the staff. Location is a little off the beaten track with a juvenile detention centre across the way, but we had no hassle.

We had a major issue with dry cleaning, a dress shirt we left in was ruined and we were promised compensation for this. One year on and countless e-mails later, still no joy. the hotle should take more ownership of their suppliers and not make promises they cannot keep as we have wasted so much energy on this.

I would not go back or recommend this hotel based on this experience which is a pity as I am a frequent traveller to Baltimore.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank fernga
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed here in Sept 2011 while visiting a prospective school with my daughter. Very close to Baltimore Penn Station and the inner harbor. It's in an old, historical building, with refurbished interior and modernized rooms. Free shuttle within 3 miles made it a very convenient hotel; driver was friendly and polite. Typical decent Holiday Inn Express breakfast (cereals, fruits, pancakes, eggs, coffee, juices, etc.) which makes this a value for money hotel.

Rooms were clean, bathrooms had high vanities with granite tops. Towels surprisingly un-luxurious - in fact, thin and one was a little worn looking - but otherwise, the bath experience is fine with strong shower, and the usual shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap amenities. The room also had a small ref, and a microwave - not typical in other Holiday Inn Express hotels I've stayed in.

The main downside seems to be Baltimore's typical safety and security issues: one long term hotel resident advised me while we were on our way to the ice machine, to not leave anything in the car when parking in the hotel car park, as 2 residents had their cars broken into within the last few weeks. Fortunately, we didn't bring a vehicle with us at that time.

We checked in on Sunday evening - at that time, customer service was somewhat spotty as it took some time and 2 calls for the staff to attend to my request for an ethernet line to be provided in my room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family