“Decent value in downtown Baltimore”

Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown
Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed here in Sept 2011 while visiting a prospective school with my daughter. Very close to Baltimore Penn Station and the inner harbor. It's in an old, historical building, with refurbished interior and modernized rooms. Free shuttle within 3 miles made it a very convenient hotel; driver was friendly and polite. Typical decent Holiday Inn Express breakfast (cereals, fruits, pancakes, eggs, coffee, juices, etc.) which makes this a value for money hotel.

Rooms were clean, bathrooms had high vanities with granite tops. Towels surprisingly un-luxurious - in fact, thin and one was a little worn looking - but otherwise, the bath experience is fine with strong shower, and the usual shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap amenities. The room also had a small ref, and a microwave - not typical in other Holiday Inn Express hotels I've stayed in.

The main downside seems to be Baltimore's typical safety and security issues: one long term hotel resident advised me while we were on our way to the ice machine, to not leave anything in the car when parking in the hotel car park, as 2 residents had their cars broken into within the last few weeks. Fortunately, we didn't bring a vehicle with us at that time.

We checked in on Sunday evening - at that time, customer service was somewhat spotty as it took some time and 2 calls for the staff to attend to my request for an ethernet line to be provided in my room.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank STH2011

Reviewed October 6, 2011

The room was clean, cozy, and comfortable. The hotel was located within walking distance of the Harbor, even though complimentary shuttle was available. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank 2petlou
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We went to Balitimore for our daughter's treatment at Johns Hopkins. Wanted a peaceful stay as we have more important issues to deal with. We came to the hotel on a Sunday evening, the area was deserted, the holtel is located oppossite the Jurvenile Court of Balitimore, with a few not very welcoming people walking around. Lots of cop cars around (is close to a police station too). All in all not a place you would want to bring your kids and family to, a rough neighbourhood.

We did NOT Stay at the property and checked out immediately. Ending up spending a lot more $$$$ (walk in pices in the inner harhour area at a lot higher). I wrote in to the manager seeking a refund as we did not stay at the hotel however no response and a nice fat bill for a service that was far below expectation one that we did not consume.

This Holiday Inn express is 20-30% cheaper for a reason. But the last thing one wants when you are travelling is the risk of getting into a situation. My advise if you have a family travelling with you, dont be penny wise and pound foolish live within the inner city area. I can deal with a poor quality room or service but safety of my family is paramount.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank himmat20
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Great hotel. Clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff and a free breakfast. The hotel was located in a sketchy part of town, but I had no problems. The hotel shuttle was always offered for trips anywhere around town. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Downtown is about a 10 min walk. The shuttle will also take you.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2011

The purpose of our trip was medical, an evaluation at Johns Hopkins Hospital. The staff, especially Brad and Samantha, were most helpful. The rooms are clean and nicely appointed. The breakfast is a notch or two above the usual continental breakfasts at such hotels. There is free shuttle service both to downtown and to the hospital. Gracious drivers. This is a very affordable, pleasant experience in a completely redone 1940's bank structure. Interesting lobby with marble pillars and vaulted ceiling. We will stay there again!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnnaCaru
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed here as a relative underwent treatment at Johns Hopkins. The room was nice and the bathroom had a large countertop for items when getting ready to go-a small thing but it annoys me to have to try to balance my make-up, etc. on the back of the toilet or tiny countertop. The staff was friendly and professional and they offered the best hospital rate I found. The only downside was being from out of state, I was dependent on public transportation or the hotel shuttle. The shuttle was often in the 20/30 minute "late" time frame they made clear in the instructions due to traffic, etc. However, that is beyond their control and the shuttle drivers were all friendly and professional as well. I heard from some that the neighborhood was less than desirable, but I give them kudos for turning that beautiful old bank building into a beautiful, modern hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I had to go to Baltimore to John's Hopkins Hospital. I am handicapped and called ahead to make sure the handicapped room I had reserved would meet my needs. The thing I needed most was a tall toilet with bars on the sides to pull myself up on. I was told that that is what this room had. When I arrived the toilet was a normal one, low to the floor with no hand rails. I called the front desk and was told that the only difference in a handicapped room and a regular room was that the bathtub was lower and had a hand rail. So I had to go to plan B and ask them to bring me more towels so I could try to put them on the toilet to make it higher. It took them several hours to get them to me and all I wanted to do was to be able to use the bathroom and get to bed as I was tired after 7 hours in the car to get there and had to be at the hospital the next morning at 8AM. Then another reason I chose this motel was because it had a continental breakfast. Next morning I went down early to eat breakfast only to find that the girl had called in and wasn't coming to work so there was no breakfast for me to eat before I went to the hospital which I was there all day till 3PM with nothing to eat. Knowing nothing about the city I could not go eat anywhere that morning before going to the hospital. However on day 2 the continental breakfast was ready and was very good. Myself and my caregiver and family members will probally be making more trips to John's Hopkins in the future but will think twice before staying there again because of this experience.

Room Tip: Needs to really meet the needs of a handicapped person as we already have enough problems to deal wi...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends