“Doorman hit on me during weekend getaway for boyfriend's birthday!! Really??!!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed January 26, 2010

I planned a beautiful weekend for my boyfriend's birthday in November at the Hotel Monaco in Baltimore because it looked lovely on the website. I was very excited because it was the first time I had done something this nice for anyone, and me and my boyfriend were getting very serious at this time in our relationship.

Upon arrival, we were not aware of the valet service or the check-in process period. So we pull up in my '04 Chevy, and the valet drivers just ignored us, and proceeded to serve the Lexus truck parked in front of us. Noticing the process, I had to get out of the car, go to the inconspicuous front desk to check in (it was on the second floor and I didn't know because NO ONE told me what to do or where to go), get my room key, and then tell the valet drivers "Hey...we're staying here." Once they realized we were guests, they were very helpful, and getting to the room was a breeze.

STRIKE 1: Once to the room, there were dishes in front of our door from previous guests. The bell hop told us that it would be taken care of "probably later on tonight." OK no big deal. Later, I checked my bank account because I had reserved an expensive dinner that same night; just wanted to be sure that I could cover it. Unbeknown to me, because I used my debit card, the hotel charged me for two nights, two days of valet ($35/day), and incidental fee of quite a bit of money totaling: over $500...leaving my account unable to pay for the dinner. Now, I was under the impression that my card was to confirm my reservation and I would pay at the end; regardless of what I "thought", it sure would've been nice to know how the money process works when using a debit card vs. a credit card. The woman at the front desk did not tell me anything. My boyfriend ended up having to pay for his birthday dinner, and every meal we ate during that weekend. I had never been so embarrassed in my life.

STRIKE 2: Since we were guests in the hotel, we figured that dinner in the hotel restaurant would be our best bet. LITTLE DID WE KNOW, the restaurant works on a reservation process...meaning if you don't have a reservation, you're probably gonna have to wait forever or eat at a awkward table with strangers. We ended up eating with strangers that night which ended up being a pretty nice experience, but not one we were planning to have. For the over $500 they took from my account without telling me, I personally feel that priority should be given to hotel guests at the restaurant.

STRIKE 3: We went to breakfast around 9:00 the next morning leaving the "PLEASE SERVICE" sign on the door. When we went to breakfast, which was included in the room fees, I presented the little tickets which entitles us to the continental breakfast to the waiter downstairs. He was very polite, and informed us that we could sit anywhere in the restaurant we wanted, as he pointed upstairs. We went ahead upstairs, since we ate downstairs the night before. We made our plates, sat down and began eating when another waiter came up to us and asked us to present our tickets yet again. Of course I didn't have it anymore because I had given it to the waiter downstairs. It was quite an insult to see this waiter go downstairs and verify that we indeed had tickets and weren't just moochers. Just a little side note, not only did we eat the included continental breakfast, we ordered ACTUAL BREAKFAST too.

STRIKE 4: When we got back to our room about two hours later, our room had not been serviced. This was not a big deal to us so we left the service sign up, and would just move out of the way once the cleaning staff arrived. It wasn't until it was dark outside and we were out of clean towels that we became irritated. We called the service line to tell them about the service/towels, and oh by the way...the dishes still sitting outside of our room. 2 hours later, we received towels. After dinner that night (around 9:00 or so), the dishes finally were picked up by a staff member who looked like he was the only one servicing all of the rooms. (We had seen him on other floors when we went for a walk around the hotel earlier that day)

STRIKE 5: The final day, we got our things together, and prepared for breakfast and checkout. Since my boyfriend needed cash, we decided that I would go pick up the breakfast tickets while he got the cash, and we would meet up at the restaurant for breakfast. After I got the tickets, I went downstairs and was approached by one of the young men who works the front door. He said VERBATIM, "DAMN...What's Yo name??" Shocked and a little scared, I said my name and that I was here with my boyfriend. He said he didn't care, and continued to hassle me. I literally had to run and hide in the restaurant for him to leave me alone.

THE RESOLUTION: Once we got to the front desk to check out, the concierge asked us how our stay was. We looked at each other and said, "Where do we begin?!" I told the concierge EVERYTHING. He listened to me intently, and was pretty shocked about how we were treated. He wrote down everything, and resolved to refund me the full amount of our stay only charging us for taxes and miscellaneous charges which totaled $81 total. This was a great resolution for our stay and I was pleases with the outcome. I took my boyfriend shopping with the money instead, but it was not what I originally planned.

THE AFTERSHOCK: I checked my account to ensure that the hotel actually did refund me. To my surprise, the hotel reactivated my parking fee and took out an extra day of parking ($35) the next day! I had to call management to have them deactivate it and give me my money back.

All in all, the hotel is beautiful...ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. Almost breathtaking; but the service trumps all of that beauty. I have told all of my friends and co-workers about this, and told them to never stay there. This is quite unfortunate because I can tell that a lot of hard work is spent on this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank free2behappy05
Monaco_Baltimore, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, January 28, 2010
Dear free2behappy05,

Greetings from the Hotel Monaco Baltimore!

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us your feedback of the Hotel Monaco.

I am the Assistant General Manager of the Hotel Monaco and on behalf of our entire staff I apologize for the poor service experience you encountered. We strive to exceed our guests' expectations, and in this case we noticeably fell short. As you can see by the overwhelming majority of feedback on Tripadvisor, we enjoy taking care of our guests and creating exceptional guest experiences.

It is completely inexcusable that you had to encounter lapses in service from some of our departments, especially Valet, Restaurant, Housekeeping, Bellmen and Front Office. Free2behappy05, I have shared your review with each of the department heads and as a team we discussed actions we will take to ensure no other guest experiences the same lapse in service, which I assure you is not a common occurrence.

Please do hesitate to contact me as I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay further. Once again, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience so that we have an opportunity to improve upon our processes.

I would also like to thank you for your kind words about the beauty of our hotel. We tried to maintain the feel and spirit of the B&O Headquarters, which was the first occupant of this building. The marble and Tiffany stained-glass windows you see in the lobby are all the originals that were installed in 1906 when the building was built.

I look forward to hearing from you and I wish you all the best,

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
norfolk,uk
Reviewed January 26, 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights in December 2009. First task was to find the reception desk-for future visitors it is situated on the mezzanine level so you have to walk up the very grand staircase or use the lift. Once I found it the check was very efficient. Room was clean and well furnished bed was comfortable. Didn't use the room service and check out was as good as check in. Situated a short walk from the harbour area and close to transport links.All in all not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Our entire experience was excellent. We checked in right as the wine hour was closing up, and they comped us 4 drinks at the the hotel restaurant. We asked for a coffee maker, and they had one delivered within minutes of getting into the room. We stayed in one of the Mediterranean Suites and it was glamerous. The bathroom was especially cool. Huge tub with a shower right as you walk in. We ate at the hotel restaurant the first night we checked in, and ate there 3 more times. Delicious menu that changed every night. The hotel and restaurant staff were attentive and professional. We found no faults in our stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hairtonic
Newtown, PA
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Won this 4-star hotel on Priceline at $72 a night for this two-night stay, which included New Year's Eve. The hotel lived up to the lofty ranking on Tripadvisor. The only thing I wasn't happy about was forgetting the camera for some pictures.

Hotel Monaco is a Kimpton Hotel located in town but only a couple blocks walk to the Inner Harbor. Rooms had high ceilings, modern decor and a clean, comfortable feel. Our king room only had a walk-in shower in the bathroom if that's a concern. I like the LG HD TV's and they offered about a dozed HD channels. We were on the 12th floor and found it very quiet in the evening, not bad considering the hotel seemed pretty full for New Year's.

Valet Parking is the only option at the hotel for $36 a night. There is a parking garage one block up on the left and it was only $21 a night. If we include the tip for valet, I probably saved $40 for the two nights by just walking one block. Be careful when pulling up to the hotel because there is no pull out from Charles Street. Curbside is the only option for unloading. As stated earlier the Harbor is an easy walk and we did it on a snowy, cold morning.

The restaurant/bar in the hotel is called B&O American Brasserie and we ate a quality dinner in there. It also has a modern theme, but moderately expensive if one is just looking for a quick bite. However, the smaller brick oven pizzas are excellent for only $9. The Caribou Coffee Cafe across the street was also a nice place to stop for some java.

As stated earlier the Harbor is an easy walk and we did it on a snowy, cold morning. I highly recommend this hotel for a great stay in Baltimore.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank relayer
USA
Reviewed January 4, 2010

I met a friend and her dog for a one-night stay in Baltimore. The staff were incredibly accommodating and friendly. Dogs aren't allowed in the restaurants, but they set us up with "room service" in the lobby lounge. The food was good, our room was well-appointed and a classic Kimpton modern style. Personally, I could do without the faux-animal robes, but to each his own. The only downside to our stay was the location at night. We didn't feel super-safe taking the dog out for a potty walk. We stayed within about a half-block distance from the hotel entrance. Daytime outings were no problem.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tripper444
Bowie, MD
Reviewed January 2, 2010

The location and interior of this hotel are magnificent. The room was spacious and well kept. My suggestions are as follows:
1 - Improve the valet service. Every time we needed to retrieve our car via the valet, it took no less than 20-25 minutes. That's a long wait.
2 - Ensure staff are knowledgeable about hotel packages. I booked a package that was advertised on the Kimpton site and saw posters for in the hotel's lobby, but no one on the staff at the time of check-in seemed familiar with it and seemed to bumble over themselves trying to figure it out. Even upon check-out, we were not provided all the credits proffered in the package and had to have the hotel's manager fix the mistake.
3 - The in room dining menu left a lot to be desired and was very expensive. While we would have preferred to stay in the hotel for dinner, we decided to head out because of the limited menu. For breakfast, we ordered 1 omelette, 1 waffle, 1 pot of coffee, and it cost us over $50! The service fees and delivery fees were extraordinary and not necessarily disclosed prior to ordering. If we had known we were going to pay so much for eggs and an Eggo, we would have gone out in the cold to the Caribou across the street.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Monaco_Baltimore, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, January 5, 2010
Dear TravelMom_Bowie

Greetings from the Hotel Monaco Baltimore!

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Monaco as your choice Hotel when visiting Baltimore. I am truly regretful to hear that your stay with us was not completely satisfactory. As a member of our management team I will certainly share your concerns with the respective departments and we will do everything in our power to rectify the challenge of delayed parking and overall knowledge of packages that we offer. I apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced and if given the opportunity I will personally guarantee that your "Grand Adventure" with us will be of supreme excellence.

Assistant General Manager
Philadelphia
Reviewed December 30, 2009

My girlfriend and I had a couple of paid vacation days to use up before the New Year, so we decided to head down to Baltimore to see the Aquarium and Inner Harbor. I looked into hotel in the area and The Monaco ended up being my choice. A major snowstorm hit the east coast the day of our departure, so it took a couple hours more than usual, but the trip was worth it. Because of the snow we were limited mostly to stayin in the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful at check-in. They informed us of all of the hotel features and accomodations. Our room was clean, quiet, and overall very nice. after a quick shower ( the only downfall was the design of this thing), we headed down to the lobby where they were serving FREE WINE!! We ate at the B and O restaurant that night and then sat at the bar for drinks afterward, which was wonderful. To wrap it up, we enjoyed this hotel, the staff, and the guests so much that we booked an extra night here.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple