“Glad to get this on Priceline”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Won this 4-star hotel on Priceline at $72 a night for this two-night stay, which included New Year's Eve. The hotel lived up to the lofty ranking on Tripadvisor. The only thing I wasn't happy about was forgetting the camera for some pictures.

Hotel Monaco is a Kimpton Hotel located in town but only a couple blocks walk to the Inner Harbor. Rooms had high ceilings, modern decor and a clean, comfortable feel. Our king room only had a walk-in shower in the bathroom if that's a concern. I like the LG HD TV's and they offered about a dozed HD channels. We were on the 12th floor and found it very quiet in the evening, not bad considering the hotel seemed pretty full for New Year's.

Valet Parking is the only option at the hotel for $36 a night. There is a parking garage one block up on the left and it was only $21 a night. If we include the tip for valet, I probably saved $40 for the two nights by just walking one block. Be careful when pulling up to the hotel because there is no pull out from Charles Street. Curbside is the only option for unloading. As stated earlier the Harbor is an easy walk and we did it on a snowy, cold morning.

The restaurant/bar in the hotel is called B&O American Brasserie and we ate a quality dinner in there. It also has a modern theme, but moderately expensive if one is just looking for a quick bite. However, the smaller brick oven pizzas are excellent for only $9. The Caribou Coffee Cafe across the street was also a nice place to stop for some java.

As stated earlier the Harbor is an easy walk and we did it on a snowy, cold morning. I highly recommend this hotel for a great stay in Baltimore.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank relayer
Write a ReviewReviews (1,704)

Reviewed January 4, 2010

I met a friend and her dog for a one-night stay in Baltimore. The staff were incredibly accommodating and friendly. Dogs aren't allowed in the restaurants, but they set us up with "room service" in the lobby lounge. The food was good, our room was well-appointed and a classic Kimpton modern style. Personally, I could do without the faux-animal robes, but to each his own. The only downside to our stay was the location at night. We didn't feel super-safe taking the dog out for a potty walk. We stayed within about a half-block distance from the hotel entrance. Daytime outings were no problem.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tripper444
Reviewed January 2, 2010

The location and interior of this hotel are magnificent. The room was spacious and well kept. My suggestions are as follows:
1 - Improve the valet service. Every time we needed to retrieve our car via the valet, it took no less than 20-25 minutes. That's a long wait.
2 - Ensure staff are knowledgeable about hotel packages. I booked a package that was advertised on the Kimpton site and saw posters for in the hotel's lobby, but no one on the staff at the time of check-in seemed familiar with it and seemed to bumble over themselves trying to figure it out. Even upon check-out, we were not provided all the credits proffered in the package and had to have the hotel's manager fix the mistake.
3 - The in room dining menu left a lot to be desired and was very expensive. While we would have preferred to stay in the hotel for dinner, we decided to head out because of the limited menu. For breakfast, we ordered 1 omelette, 1 waffle, 1 pot of coffee, and it cost us over $50! The service fees and delivery fees were extraordinary and not necessarily disclosed prior to ordering. If we had known we were going to pay so much for eggs and an Eggo, we would have gone out in the cold to the Caribou across the street.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Monaco_Baltimore, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2010

Dear TravelMom_Bowie

Greetings from the Hotel Monaco Baltimore!

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Monaco as your choice Hotel when visiting Baltimore. I am truly regretful to hear that your stay with us was not completely satisfactory. As a member of our management team I will certainly share your concerns with the respective departments and we will do everything in our power to rectify the challenge of delayed parking and overall knowledge of packages that we offer. I apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced and if given the opportunity I will personally guarantee that your "Grand Adventure" with us will be of supreme excellence.

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed December 30, 2009

My girlfriend and I had a couple of paid vacation days to use up before the New Year, so we decided to head down to Baltimore to see the Aquarium and Inner Harbor. I looked into hotel in the area and The Monaco ended up being my choice. A major snowstorm hit the east coast the day of our departure, so it took a couple hours more than usual, but the trip was worth it. Because of the snow we were limited mostly to stayin in the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful at check-in. They informed us of all of the hotel features and accomodations. Our room was clean, quiet, and overall very nice. after a quick shower ( the only downfall was the design of this thing), we headed down to the lobby where they were serving FREE WINE!! We ate at the B and O restaurant that night and then sat at the bar for drinks afterward, which was wonderful. To wrap it up, we enjoyed this hotel, the staff, and the guests so much that we booked an extra night here.

Reviewed December 25, 2009

I stumbled into the Hotel Monaco for a one night stay quite unexpectedly because of travel delays. There are certainly plenty of hotels in the neighborhood -- Baltimore's somewhat seedy and downtrodden business district though it's an easy walk to the Inner Harbor -- but I'd stayed at a couple of Hotel Monacos in San Francisco and Salt Lake City so thought I'd give it a try.

You know when you walk into a hotel, all stressed and disheveled, and you walk out, some 15 hours later, and feel like you've been transformed into a calm, centered normal person? That's how I felt. It was just a splendid, if way too short, stay and I'll go back (and might even start checking out more of this chain since there are now East Coast properties).

Check in was superb -- request for bathroom with tub was honored though the room rate I booked apparently was shower only. Hotel is just beautiful; Kimpton, its owner, has taken the gorgeous old headquarters of the B&O Railroad and given it a warm, contemporary yet lushly traditional (hard combo to achieve!) feel. The hotel by the way is tucked inside what's still a commercial office building.

Loved the color schemes in my room (a cerulean blue put me in better spirits immediately upon entering) and here's a little detail but it's symbolic of what Kimpton does right: Inside the closet, the walls are painted a matching blue. It's a small thing but ... it works. Loved the whimiscal room snacks (for a fee, no problem), the soft zebra-patterned bathrobes, Aveda toiletries, the free Internet if you sign up for Kimpton's loyalty club (my pleasure), the general spaciousness of the room, and the ultra-comfy bed. I don't remember too much more -- it was a very short stay.

There is a hip looking restaurant on the ground floor and I was too late arriving for a meal the night before and had to leave just before lunch so no time there, either, but the menu looked just fine and loved the ambience.

The only thing I'm not crazy about, and this might not be relevant to most, is the neighborhood's a little dicey. I'm a native Baltimorean and so I know how to get around -- but I really like areas like Johns Hopkins Homewood, Mt. Vernon and Fells Point and even Federal Hill (which all have hotels) because there's life there. At night, here, not so much. And even the nearby Harborplace, wow, the economy has taken a huge toll on that once-beloved place. Empty and soulless....

But I'd still go back in a heartbeat, the Hotel Monaco is a lovely, lovely new addition to Baltimore.

1  Thank Carolyn S
Reviewed December 21, 2009

Came from DC to celebrate the BF's Birthday. The hotel is gorgeous and perfect if you appreciate all things pretty as I do! We were upgraded upon arrival because of the occasion to a larger room with a Jacuzzi tub (huge). He is a frequent business traveler with a lot of hotel stays under his belt and kind of a Hilton snob...lol! He was impressed beyond belief! So we loved the staff, very helpful, and the Goldfish was a hit. The restaurant was amazing. It was a nice night spot for drinks, great food and good ambiance, no need to go to the harbor . This could possibly be our rekindling spot close to home!

Reviewed December 18, 2009

I treated myself to a weekend in Baltimore because I wanted to try out this hotel. I'm glad I did. The weather turned out to be rainy and cold so after a morning at the Inner Harbor I spent most of my time in the hotel. I had a suite and both rooms were beautiful. They come with thick animal print bathrobes that were warm and cozy. Very nice. I ended up buying one. Slipper socks are also available, but you must buy them to use them ($12)--I would have preferred complimentary slippers, but I got them and there are great.

The living room had a nice comfortable sofa and a very large flatscreen tv with plenty of channels--it had all the major cable channels and some obscure one as well as HBO and a good selection of pay-per-view movies.

The bedroom had a very comfortable bed and good lighting. There were thick shades that were more effective in keeping out light than the curtains in most of the hotel rooms I've stayed in.

The best room, though is probably the bathroom--it had an enormous whirlpool tub deep enough to sit in (with two seats in it) that you enter by going up a few steps. (I did not use it, but for someone that wants a full immersion bath or a whirlpool for two, it would have been great. The shower is at the foot of the steps to the tub; it is a "rainfall" shower in a large open area. Open to the rest of the bathroom, but very nice. The toilet is in a separate little room within the bathroom. Very nice accommodations.

Check in was quick and efficient. There is afternoon wine party in the living room off the lobby on the 7th floor. I didn't really have much interaction with the staff, but when I did they were quick and helpful.

I ordered room service a couple of times and the food was excellent. The menu is more limited than I would have liked, but understandable. Unfortunately, the hotel does not have a restaurant on the premises. There is one next door which is associated with the hotel, but you have to go out the front door to go to the restaurant, which is in the same building, but one door over. Not a problem unless it is raining or snowing (as it was the day I was there). The food in the restaurant was very good and service was excellent, so it is a good place to get a bite to eat.

The location is about 4 blocks from the Inner Harbor--not a bad walk on a good day. It also appears to be near a shopping district, but I did not go shopping in the area (I did a little around the Inner Harbor) so I didn't ask how close they were--they seemed close on the cab ride to the hotel.

Staff were friendly and efficient and rooms were clean and quiet. Decor was very nice--supposedly a train theme, but apart from nightstands that were trunks and a picture or two, it was not so much a theme motif as a modern stylish room.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Baltimore.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Monaco_Baltimore, Operations Team at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2009

Dear flagfan,

It sounds like you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for taking the time to give us such detailed feedback.

I'm happy you found your way to the B&O Brasserie and enjoyed the food there. There is an entrance to the restaurant from the hotel, but it is fairly discreet. It is to your left as you approach the doors to exit the building.

It looks like you got a taste of snowy Baltimore, but I hope you were not stuck in the storm we just had!

I hope you enjoy the holidays and stay nice and warm in your new Kimpton robe. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!