Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Envy Hotel(Baltimore)
Delta Hotels(Baltimore)
  • Restaurant
1,721 results
All reviewswine hourmarble staircasemediterranean suitehigh ceilingswine receptionamerican brasserieyoga matraid the mini barbeautiful hotelhistoric buildingliving roomcomplimentary winerewards programsliding dooroffice buildingroom servicevalet parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 25, 2009

I stumbled into the Hotel Monaco for a one night stay quite unexpectedly because of travel delays. There are certainly plenty of hotels in the neighborhood -- Baltimore's somewhat seedy and downtrodden business district though it's an easy walk to the Inner Harbor -- but I'd stayed at a couple of Hotel Monacos in San Francisco and Salt Lake City so thought I'd give it a try.

You know when you walk into a hotel, all stressed and disheveled, and you walk out, some 15 hours later, and feel like you've been transformed into a calm, centered normal person? That's how I felt. It was just a splendid, if way too short, stay and I'll go back (and might even start checking out more of this chain since there are now East Coast properties).

Check in was superb -- request for bathroom with tub was honored though the room rate I booked apparently was shower only. Hotel is just beautiful; Kimpton, its owner, has taken the gorgeous old headquarters of the B&O Railroad and given it a warm, contemporary yet lushly traditional (hard combo to achieve!) feel. The hotel by the way is tucked inside what's still a commercial office building.

Loved the color schemes in my room (a cerulean blue put me in better spirits immediately upon entering) and here's a little detail but it's symbolic of what Kimpton does right: Inside the closet, the walls are painted a matching blue. It's a small thing but ... it works. Loved the whimiscal room snacks (for a fee, no problem), the soft zebra-patterned bathrobes, Aveda toiletries, the free Internet if you sign up for Kimpton's loyalty club (my pleasure), the general spaciousness of the room, and the ultra-comfy bed. I don't remember too much more -- it was a very short stay.

There is a hip looking restaurant on the ground floor and I was too late arriving for a meal the night before and had to leave just before lunch so no time there, either, but the menu looked just fine and loved the ambience.

The only thing I'm not crazy about, and this might not be relevant to most, is the neighborhood's a little dicey. I'm a native Baltimorean and so I know how to get around -- but I really like areas like Johns Hopkins Homewood, Mt. Vernon and Fells Point and even Federal Hill (which all have hotels) because there's life there. At night, here, not so much. And even the nearby Harborplace, wow, the economy has taken a huge toll on that once-beloved place. Empty and soulless....

But I'd still go back in a heartbeat, the Hotel Monaco is a lovely, lovely new addition to Baltimore.

1  Thank Carolyn S
Reviewed December 21, 2009

Came from DC to celebrate the BF's Birthday. The hotel is gorgeous and perfect if you appreciate all things pretty as I do! We were upgraded upon arrival because of the occasion to a larger room with a Jacuzzi tub (huge). He is a frequent business traveler with a lot of hotel stays under his belt and kind of a Hilton snob...lol! He was impressed beyond belief! So we loved the staff, very helpful, and the Goldfish was a hit. The restaurant was amazing. It was a nice night spot for drinks, great food and good ambiance, no need to go to the harbor . This could possibly be our rekindling spot close to home!

Reviewed December 18, 2009

I treated myself to a weekend in Baltimore because I wanted to try out this hotel. I'm glad I did. The weather turned out to be rainy and cold so after a morning at the Inner Harbor I spent most of my time in the hotel. I had a suite and both rooms were beautiful. They come with thick animal print bathrobes that were warm and cozy. Very nice. I ended up buying one. Slipper socks are also available, but you must buy them to use them ($12)--I would have preferred complimentary slippers, but I got them and there are great.

The living room had a nice comfortable sofa and a very large flatscreen tv with plenty of channels--it had all the major cable channels and some obscure one as well as HBO and a good selection of pay-per-view movies.

The bedroom had a very comfortable bed and good lighting. There were thick shades that were more effective in keeping out light than the curtains in most of the hotel rooms I've stayed in.

The best room, though is probably the bathroom--it had an enormous whirlpool tub deep enough to sit in (with two seats in it) that you enter by going up a few steps. (I did not use it, but for someone that wants a full immersion bath or a whirlpool for two, it would have been great. The shower is at the foot of the steps to the tub; it is a "rainfall" shower in a large open area. Open to the rest of the bathroom, but very nice. The toilet is in a separate little room within the bathroom. Very nice accommodations.

Check in was quick and efficient. There is afternoon wine party in the living room off the lobby on the 7th floor. I didn't really have much interaction with the staff, but when I did they were quick and helpful.

I ordered room service a couple of times and the food was excellent. The menu is more limited than I would have liked, but understandable. Unfortunately, the hotel does not have a restaurant on the premises. There is one next door which is associated with the hotel, but you have to go out the front door to go to the restaurant, which is in the same building, but one door over. Not a problem unless it is raining or snowing (as it was the day I was there). The food in the restaurant was very good and service was excellent, so it is a good place to get a bite to eat.

The location is about 4 blocks from the Inner Harbor--not a bad walk on a good day. It also appears to be near a shopping district, but I did not go shopping in the area (I did a little around the Inner Harbor) so I didn't ask how close they were--they seemed close on the cab ride to the hotel.

Staff were friendly and efficient and rooms were clean and quiet. Decor was very nice--supposedly a train theme, but apart from nightstands that were trunks and a picture or two, it was not so much a theme motif as a modern stylish room.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Baltimore.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Monaco_Baltimore, Operations Team at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2009

Dear flagfan,

It sounds like you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for taking the time to give us such detailed feedback.

I'm happy you found your way to the B&O Brasserie and enjoyed the food there. There is an entrance to the restaurant from the hotel, but it is fairly discreet. It is to your left as you approach the doors to exit the building.

It looks like you got a taste of snowy Baltimore, but I hope you were not stuck in the storm we just had!

I hope you enjoy the holidays and stay nice and warm in your new Kimpton robe. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed December 14, 2009

First, let me say that I am a big fan of the Kimpton chain, so I was thrilled to be in town the day the new Monaco opened in Baltimore (July 30th). The location is not as good as the other true Inner Harbor hotels, although it is definitely walkable. The building itself is beautiful as the former headquarters of the B & O railroad. Even if you aren't staying here, if you happen to be walking by you owe it to yourself to stop in the lobby to see the magnificent Tiffany stained glass ceiling.
As with any opening, there are bound to be a few glitches, and the Hotel Monaco was no different. I was greeted by several doormen, who all seemed excited to have guests and eager to help. I dropped off my bags and took the rental car two blocks north to a garage that charges $6 /day weekend rate (222 N Charles I believe). Valet is steep at $36 per day, so check out the other options. The receptionist was still learning the system and it took a few minutes to apply my Kimpton InTouch membership to my stay. Understandable. I was then escorted to my room by one of the bellmen who took my bags. I was assigned room 1406, on the top floor as I requested. We got off the elevator and the bellman took me to the wrong end of the hallway before realizing he had gone the wrong way. Honest mistake as he was still learning his way around I guess. We went back the other way and found the room. He then came in and began explaining the features of the room as one would expect. After he was done explaining the finer points of the bathroom, he then pointed me to the FOURTEEN inch flat screen TV (no, I didn't mishear him as he said it twice). In actuality, it was a nice LG 40"+ LCD. This was clearly a direct result of the training this gentleman received, and I hope they had this straightened out soon thereafter.
The room was very nice....typical Kimpton style and very large (my queen queen room was over 400 sqft!). I particularly fancied the leather wallpaper in the bathroom.
I have only two other minor quibbles, the first being that my rate included a nightly cocktail in B&O, the hotel restaurant, but the hotel had not received the vouchers from corporate yet, so I did not receive my cocktail. When I checked in, I mentioned this and they offered to escort me to the bar right then, but I was late to a dinner reservation so I declined. The only other comment I have is I did not receive my InTouch welcome amenity $10 minibar coupon, which I assume is also attributable to opening night kinks.
I understand one cannot accurately judge a hotel by it's performance on opening night, and I will be back next week to see how much the staff has grown in 5 short months.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank pickles1107

Dear pickles1107,

We looked forward to welcoming you back on Sunday and showing you how much we have improved! I am sorry you had to cancel due to the weather. The snow has been quite an inconvenience for all of us, although it certainly adds to the holiday spirit.

Best wishes to you and your family and let us know when you will be returning to stay with us!

Reviewed December 11, 2009

The Baltimore Monaco proves itself as another wonderful Kimpton property. The hotel has offices on the lower floors with hotel rooms on floors 7-14. We had a King room on the 14th floor which included a vaulted ceiling as well as an extended seating area. The front desk was friendly and helpful. The hotel is within walking distance of the Inner Harbor. It is located in the downtown area so you still have to use common sense when wandering from the property. As it has been reported here in other reviews the valet is very expensive at $36 a day. There are nearby self park lots that are more reasonable. Our only issue with the hotel was with the valet service. For the price you are paying they are extremely slow. In addition, they do not wear easily indentiable uniforms. At night we had to question the valet if he even worked at the hotel since he looked like he was wearing street clothes. So be cautious and hopefully as this hotel grows it will correct this issue.

1  Thank Case1096
Monaco_Baltimore, Operations Team at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2009

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Monaco Baltimore. Thank you for choosing to stay with us!

I wanted to let you know that a few days ago our valet team was outfitted with beautiful red jackets to help identify them for our guests. I brought up your feedback this morning and we decided to create nametags for the team as well, to ensure there is never any confusion for our guests.

Thank you very much for your feedback. Your responses and those of your fellow travelers help us make our hotel the best it can be. I hope you enjoy the upcoming holiday season and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!