“Fantastic way to spend the holidays!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Charlotte, NC
“Fantastic way to spend the holidays!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

My partner and I stayed at Hotel Monaco in Baltimore over the Thanksgiving holiday while visiting family. Wow! Great stay! The room is fantastic, the staff superb (especially Franklin, who made everything seem so easy!), the restaurant is a "don't miss" and the location is perfect. You are just a few blocks away from the Inner Harbor and the Lightrail system.

Would definitely stay again! Thanks to everyone at Hotel Monaco in Baltimore for making the Thanksgiving holiday a great one!

W. Shannon Hale

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Korean first
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2009

Stayed at the Hotel Monaco for an event at the 1st Mariner arena located 2 blocks away. It is a wonderful hotel. I have stayed at several Kimptons and this one hands down was the best one yet! It is recently opened so everything is very new, fresh and polished. It is located in the old B&O Railroad Headquarters. The interior decorating is beautiful. Nice use of color, textures, shapes while maintaining the history of the building that has grand hallways, cathedral ceilings, and marble floors.

The customer service was top notch, starting with a call ahead of time to inquire about local parking. The gentleman on the phone was very accomodating and even though they have valet parking for quite a bit of money, he was very helpful with information of overnight parking garages within walking distance.

We also requested a goldfish for our room-something Kimpton Hotels offer and beleive it or not, it adds something special to the stay. The front desk called the room to make sure our goldfish arrived. I would definitely stay again.

I would highly recommend the parking garage right across the street from the arena (I think it's Arrow), It is $12 overnight. and a VERY short walk. It's a deal. my car was safe and the garage staff made regular rounds.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

Stayed at the Hotel Monaco for 3 nights. We were upgraded to a Mediterranean Suite on the 12th Floor. Absolutely beautiful and very quiet (which is paramount to me) nice downtown view. We had fabulous service from the front desk, bell staff and concierge. The hotel is really grand and the the decor is great. Loved the wine hour, missed cookie hour. Coffee in the morning is in need of help- too many guests not enough coffee and supplies fast enough. I wish they'd put coffee makers in the rooms without having to ask. But besides that one small complaint I loved the hotel, the room and the service. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying downtown Baltimore.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

We stayed at the Monaco Baltimore for a post-Thanksgiving get-away. The hotel was lovely. It has a grand lobby (a little awkward since it is one flight up from the street level). The rooms are very spacious and decorated in a chic style-- sort of art-deco style. Everything was clean and neat. The hotel staff are extremely accommodating-- they provided us with a complimentary continental breakfast (it was not part of our package, though they do offer it) and were kind enough to waive the fee for the rollaway bed. If you join the Kimpton's 'in-touch' program they offer you free wireless connection and gave us a $10 credit for the mini bar. The hotel is located about 2 blocks from the touristy (but nice) inner harbor area and close to a downtown cultural walking tour. It's fairly close to the museums etc. (except for the Fine Arts and Visionary Art museums which are walkable, but a bit far-- about 3 miles). We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Kimpton and this hotel. By the way, our kids ages 11, 13 and 15 loved the hot cookies and milk served daily in the lounge at 4 (don't be late they are gone by 4:30!).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2009

The new Hotel Monaco Baltimore is a nice addition to the Inner Harbor Hotels with the usual decor and amenities you expect from a Kimpton. My room request (corner) was not available on check in at 3pm so I waited until available. Unfortunately the corner room I was in did not get much sunlight and only had a view of the adjacent buidlings. The lobby on the second floor is a little odd, and make sure everyone has a room key as you'll need it in the elevator to access the hotel floors. Parking is overpriced at $36 and no discount for Hybrids (like most West Coast Kimptons)! Try the Sheraton city center or the public garages a few blocks away for $20 for 24 hours.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank kennethwalker
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2009

This was my first experience at a Kimpton hotel - I've got elite status at Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, and Starwood, so I tend not to deviate from the big chains. But boy, am I glad I did this time as my experience at the Hotel Monaco was incredible!

I booked a package rate, which included a bottle of wine. Upon check-in, as a recent Kimpton In-Touch member, I was upgraded to a nicer room. When Laurelle, the wonderful concierge, went up to put the wine in the room, she noticed that the room was a little warm and offered to upgrade me yet again to a suite, which was extremely kind. Later, I mentioned to her that it was my birthday and that my family and I were going out to celebrate, and I found a bottle of champagne and a personalized note in my room upon my return. The wine hour was very classy, with pleasant conversation and very decent wine freely flowing. We missed the milk and cookie hour, but again, Laurelle came through and made sure that she put some aside for my family. In fact, she was so giving that I felt guilty.

The hotel itself is incredible, as are the rooms. I've stayed at most of the hotels in the Inner Harbor, and this wins, hands down. If there's any knock, it's the location, which is a couple of blocks away from the attractions, and there are a few unsavories hanging around nearby, but that's not unexpected for Baltimore city (no offense to my Baltimore buddies, but it's true). I prefer the new Harbor East neighborhood overall, but you'd be hardpressed to find a better hotel in Baltimore, especially if you can get a good rate.

Parking is expensive ($36/night), but if you don't like it, park at a nearby garage for about half the price without the in/out privileges.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Silicon Valley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

I just got home today from staying 3 nights at the Monaco. As other have noted, it is a beautiful old building and the rooms are spacious and attractive. I also concur, though, that the service is generally lacking.

On the second day I was there, I left the "Service Please" tag on the door when I left at 8:15 in the morning, and when I returned at 4:15 the room had still not been cleaned. The housekeeper came at 4:40, by which time I was taking a nap so just told her to skip it for the day. Housekeeping should be completed by midafternoon, especially when it has been requested since early in the day.

That evening I planned to watch a game on ESPN2, which the hotel offers, but it was the only non-functioning channel. I called the front desk three times over 2.5 hours and no one ever came to try to fix it, nor did anyone apologize. The game was of only moderate importance to me - it was a playoff match - it was the staff's indifference/lack of communication that were quite disappointing.

I am a Kimpton InTouch club member and enjoyed the wifi, but never received the daily newspaper that was promised.

The day before my departure I filled out the card the provide so that they can print your boarding passes for you. No surprise by this time, but they never printed them.

The food from the restaurant downstairs (B&O) was decent, but the service there was iffy too - spaced out and unhelpful hostesses, items omitted from order, etc.

The bright spot of my stay, other than the room itself which was lovely, was the server on room service duty Saturday and Sunday nights. She was polite, friendly, and helpful. Wish those qualities had rubbed off on the other staff at the Hotel Monaco!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MixerGirl
Monaco_Baltimore, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, November 12, 2009
Dear MixerGirl,

We thank you for choosing the Hotel Monaco, Baltimore and also for taking the time to share your experience with us and provide feedback that will help our hotel grow and improve. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide excellent service to each guest in every capacity.

At your earliest opportunity I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me so we can discuss your stay further. Thank you again and I look forward to our conversation.

Assistant General Manager