“Luxury and History” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York
“Luxury and History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

The old headquarters of the B&O Rail Road has been nicely converted into this appealing hotel, complete with grand marble staircases and brass fixtures. It's only half a dozen blocks from the Inner Harbor and an easy walk into historic Mount Vernon. My room was spacious and extremely comfortable, with large windows, iHome station, and roomy bathroom. A few remnants of the B&O headquarters remain; look for them. Aside from a couple of very minor slips in room service (e.g., not tossing the paper in the wastebasket from the day before, or straightening a towel in the bathroom), this was a great, convenient place to stay in the Charm City.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Jet29,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience.
This truly is an amazing building to be a part of and I am glad you enjoyed it as well.
I appreicate your feedback and will certainly share it with our team.

Joe Pagone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Korean first
DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

I checked in at 2 pm. A beautiful, well appointed and large corner room. Great views, but you'll pay for them. There is glitz to this historic property but it was negated by the poor service.Three strikes.

I wanted a power nap before my next appointment and asked the front desk for a wake up call. Luckily I woke up early because the promised call never came through. When I checked in (2 pm) there were dirty room service trays next door. Housekeeping and the bellman saw these but they were still there just before midnight. Leaving dirty dishes on the floor for over 8 hours is unacceptable at any hotel, but especially not in a quality property. They also skipped turn down service for my room. That may seem trivial, but not when you are counting on fresh towels and soap for the morning. This isn't a motel.

I will probably stay here again and give them a second chance, but I will make sure my expectations for service remain low.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear spoiledtravelerguy:

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback.
I am glad we were able to connect and resolve this with you.

New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Upon arriving at the hotel my bags were taken immediately, but no directions to the check in desk were given and it is not something you'd just know since you first have to find the elevators and go up a floor. I personally wandered in to two different areas on the main floor before discovering this.

Check-in was smooth but my room left a bit to be desired. There appeared to be some damage to the ceiling, as in there was an actual opening. The closet door was semi broken and so stuck that I had to ask a hotel employee to help me pull it open. These two things simply meant I didn't get their most perfect room, it was not until my venture into the bathroom where the air switches and the bathtub drain were broken and the air vents were covered with filthy dust that I actually felt the disappointment sink in. I know some places give their least stellar rooms to people who book through outside parties but I actually paid regular price for the Monaco through their own website so I was irritated by the state of my room.

I checked in maybe an hour early and there was literally no one else checking in so I'm not sure why it took about an hour for them to bring my bags to my room. I waited a whole half hour before I called to ask if everything was ok with the bags and was assured that they'd be right up,but that certainly was not the truth. If you have plans to shower and change right away I suggest you take your own bags up.

To the naked eye the hotel appeared nice. I never expected to find so many minor imperfections that they would add up enough to bother me. I think the dusty vents and broken tub drain along with the hour long wait for my bags were just too much not to deduct stars.

Also, just an FYI if you use your "raid the bar" card in the actual bar you have to pay for the drinks and then give the card to the front desk at checkout (which I only went to because tv checkout was broken).

Stayed July 2014
Dear Eventfool:

Thank you for staying with and for your detailed feedback.
I want to thank you for the detailed review and assure the TA community that we take this feedback very seriously and will appropriately adress. I do hope you return so you can experience what so many other travelers have.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

We took night away for adult date and had amazing time at Monaco. We booked Mediterranean Suite. The room was perfect. High ceilings with beautiful windows. Sitting room, King size bed and most amazing bathroom. Huge shower connected with tub for two! Book now and enjoy this Charm City escape!

Room Tip: Ask for Sutie 919
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ralswang:

Thank you for the great five star review.
The suites are well SWEET! Glad you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to your return.

Bel Air, Maryland, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Went to downtown for a get-a-way weekend. The staff was awesome. The hotel is clean and the rooms have plenty of space. Nice to have a wine happy hour when we arrived too. Overall, made for a great weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Matt D:

Glad you had an awesome weekend.
I appreciate the kind words and will certainly share them with my team.

Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

Just stayed the weekend at this property. Staff was amazing, rooms were classy clean and spacious. The wine hours were AWESOME! Great location, great amenities, just had an overall fantastic weekend in Baltimore

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ravenschick:

Thanks for sharing your feedfback with the TA community!
It was great to read your enjoyed your stay. Don't be a stranger.

Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed at the Hotel Monaco from July 16 to 19th. From start to finish, the Hotel Monaco did it right. Doormen were courteous and friendly. Front desk staff extremely friendly and helpful. Room was the most spacious hotel room I have ever been in! Very high ceilings made it feel even larger. The room was modern, very clean and maintained. The bathroom was beautiful!

We had a few problems during our stay (the refrigerator didn't work, the room safe was locked when we arrived and a charging station on the desk didn't work) but the problems were all addressed quickly and with a apology from the front desk. None of those things were big deals to us anyway so it didn't take away the experience.

Breakfast was delicious every day. On our second morning we were in a hurry and the restaurant staff was kind enough to pack our breakfast to go so we didn't miss our sons lacrosse game! And on our last day, we had to be out of the room early for another early morning game and although the restaurant didn't open until 8am, they arranged for "to go" bags for us filled with bagels and fruit!

The staff made us feel welcomed and appreciated. I loved the happy hour wine and food! The mini pizzas our first night were delicious!

Would highly recommend this hotel! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear MicheleW:

Thank you for staying with us.
We appreciate your detailed feedback and will share it with our team.
We look forward to your return.