“comfortable room in nice part of town”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Herndon, VA
“comfortable room in nice part of town”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We had a Kimpton Hotel gift certificate to use, so we decided to use it on a quick weekend trip to Baltimore.

We spent one night at the Monaco Baltimore, and our gift certificate covered the cost of the room (but not parking or breakfast). It's a very nice looking hotel, situated in an historic but completely updated and remodeled building. There's a restaurant on the first floor, which we didn't try, and a stylishly designed reception room on the second floor. Easy check-in and check-out, wireless available but not included in our rate, and valet parking available -- though, not necessary, as there's a large 24 hour public parking garage adjacent to the building.

Our room was large, well appointed and designed, very comfortable and quiet. I could have easily stayed there for an extended period of time.

Walking out the hotel, turn left and you head up North Charles Street. There's lots of restaurant choices (including Cazbar) and some shopping, and just about 1/2 a mile (or 10 minutes walk) away, you come to Mount Vernon square/park and Baltimore's Washington Monument. There are some wonderful 19th century architecture to be found here, in particular the Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church.

1 Thank afinetraveler
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Adam F:

Thank you for sharing your review with the TA community.
Great to read how much you enjoyed your stay and our location, our location is pefect to experience all that charm city has to offer. We hope to see you again soon.

Joe Pagone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2014

If you are coming to Baltimore for a Yankees Game, like us, or for a little getaway, you must try this Hotel. Professional Staff, clean outstanding rooms with all the amenities. Walking distance to everything and parking around the corner for $15 a day, if you park it yourself. They also have valet if you don't mind paying but they park it in the same lot. Free WI-FI and many other extra's.
We love the Inner Harbor and you can get a Yellow Cab to all the sites if you want for $5-$6. The price was reasonable for a night and it was well worth the price. 5 Stars!!!!

2 Thank Gregmonte13
Dear Gregmonte13:

Thank you for the five star review.
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay!
We look forward to your return.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was very impressed with my recent stay at the Monaco Baltimore. The staff met my expectations. The rooms thoroughly exceeded my expectations. The rooms were gigantic. The ceiling were extremely high, and the bathroom were excellently appointed.

Room Tip: There are lots of cheaper parking garages nearby compared to the valet at the hotel, if you don'...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Coh1970:

Glad we exceeded your expectations!
You will have to come back soon so we can knock your socks off again.

Swedesboro, New Jersey
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We were in town with our adult kids and grandchild to visit the National Aquarium and see the Orioles play the Yankees at Camden Yards (both are less than a mile away from the hotel). Back in mid-April when we were looking for a room, the Kimpton web site said that they were booked. We found an awesome deal at Hotelsclick.com ($132.25/night) that was almost half off the regular rate. Back to the hotel...When we arrived early on Saturday morning (9:45AM), the desk clerks were quick and accommodating. When the rooms were available, the desk clerks called us to let us know. Upon entering the room, we were pleasantly surprised at how well it was appointed and how comfortable the bed was. Excellent experience all around.

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton Loyalty Rewards Program to get free in-room wifi and a free $10 credit to the mini...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Swedesboro S:

Thank you for your kind words.
Glad you enojyed your stay. I will share your great review with our entire team.

West Babylon, New York
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed for a weekend at this hotel , and we were not disappointed. This is the second Kimpton we've stayed at , and they continue to be impressive. The staff was very courteous and helpful. Rooms are clean, and have nice amenities. The only issue with this place, is it's location. It's a couple blocks off of the attractions at Inner Harbor area. Normally, i wouldn't mind a couple blocks away, but this area is a little rough. We encountered a collection of unsavory characters, who are pretty forward, asking for money etc. I would definitely recommend the hotel, just watch yourself on the streets nearby.

Dear Drknite12:

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide us with our valuable feedbacl.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Historic former HQ for the B&O railroad. Grand lobby. Free wine reception. We had a large room with high ceiling and huge windows. Downtown Baltimore easy walk to Inner Harbor & Charles Street. Decent restaurant and bar in the hotel. Teenagers congregate on some streets in the area late at night, but we had no problems.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Dan F:

Thank you for staying with us and for your great feedback.
We appreciate you taking the time to share this with the TA community.
We look forward to your return.

San Diego, California
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I don't spend a ton of time in Baltimore, but I bought tickets to the Jeff Tweedy concert at Symphony Hall and despite the Red Sox being in town was able to book a room at the Monaco.

I decided to plump for the 'Spa Room', and booked it through Orbitz. Arrived at the hotel around 4pm, checked in (super friendly at reception and at the valet btw), changed and promptly went out for an early dinner before the concert. While in the room I noticed it was hot, but hey its summer in Baltimore and I figured it was going to take a bit of time for the room to cool down, thought nothing of it and went.

Returned to the hotel around 1am and the room was still hot. There was a little disclaimer by the a/c panel that said that the rooms take time to cool, and that when you are out, in order to save energy, the a/c shuts off. Fine, no problem. I cranked the temp all the way down and thought it would sort itself out in 10 or 20 minutes, then went to sleep. I woke up a couple hours later and the room was the same temp, HOT, but now it was 3 or 4 am, and there was no way I was going downstairs to get a maintenance guy or switch rooms, so I figured I'd wait it out for the morning.

So, the next morning my wife and I got our stuff together after a leisurely soak in the spa tub, then went to check out and I debated saying anything, but I thought that at least they should know. We go downstairs, and check out, and they ask how everything was and I said it was great, the room was great, but that the a/c was not functioning properly in the room.

They asked if I had called down, but I told them the story and why I didn't call but that it was ok, and they should have someone look at the unit. The front desk manager overheard, and immediately told me that the room would be taken care of and the charges reversed back to Orbitz to credit our account.

I thought this was excellent, obviously, but even more I was impressed with the way that the manager handled it. It wasn't a " if you like I can discount your room" kind of an offer. It was straight and to the point. "Your stay wasn't up to expectations, and I am going to make it right."

The manager gave me his card, which I can't find now, but he was great, and I will be staying at the Monaco the next time I'm in Baltimore, no questions asked. I'm glad to see that hospitality is alive and well.

Just as an aside, everything else in the room was great. It was exceptionally clean, and the bed was very comfy. Also, the deep tub that comes with the SPA room was excellent, and a great place to spend time relaxing.

Room Tip: Spa Room was a good choice, the tub is very big, very deep and very relaxing.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear eygone:

Thank you for staying with us.
I really enjoyed reading your feedback. We stand by our products and services and in the event somethign does not go as planned we certainly make it right. I am glad our team took great care of you. We look forward to your return.