“Another amazing Monaco-Kimpton!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I love the Monaco in Portland and was delighted when I found one in Baltimore. I was there for a conference at the convention center and the hotel was in easy walking distance. I had a beautiful corner room with a living area and even had friends over for a drink before dinner (they loved the robes)! They have an evening hosted happy hour and a great bar/restaurant downstairs. They had some great happy hour deals for food and drinks. I would definitely recommend this hotel in Baltimore!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear ToddyD:

Thank you for your five star review.
We appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants.
I will be sure to share this feedback with our entire team.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is a hotel of contradictions. It manages to be modern and cool while also being dated and worn. It has nice services like a free shuttle to the local hospital, but gives you little slips of paper to get these tickets like student-made tickets to an eighth grade dance. Our hotel bathroom was not clean, but they gave us a new room. (Not having a clean bathroom was unprecedented in all my years of travel, and gross.) I can't say I'm interested in returning, but at the same time the property was unique (former B&O Railroad Headquarters) and if it was better run it could be fantastic. But not yet.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Christopher P
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear Christopher P:

Thank you for staying with us.
I was dissapointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay.
Please know this is not the type of service we are known for or provide.
I will be sure to use your feedback to ensure this type of stay is not repeated.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Extremely Lousy hotel, impossible to imagine
apart from all other negatives, see this instance:
on 26th Sep Morning at 6.30 I made a order for a tea and coffee, after 4 phone calls and 1 visit to reception tea and coffee finally arrived at 8.30 am - two hours later, and by saying we are not charging for tea and coffee... 2 hrs and so much follow up, and the replies in follow ups were just frustating
food is lousy, we only once ordered and understood our mistake.
whatever thing i can discuss this is lousy hotel on each front...

Room Tip: just avoid this lousy hotel at usd 185 + taxes, this is a good hotel for usd 50
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Abhay K

Dear Abhay K:

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay.
Please know we take this feedback very seriously.
I woudl love the opportunity to discuss this with you furhter.
Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss.

443-692-6761
joe.pagone@hotelmonaco.com

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The bartender and waiter we had was wonderful....my wife and I are trying to remember his name we think it was jay or something like that lol....we were there there evening of sept 16th if you could help us out that would be great...we would love to write a good review thank you and we look forward to hearing back from you soon

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Arcye80:

Thank you for the kind words.
I beleive the server you are referring to is Jaymo.
He has been with us since we opened the hotel and is a pleasure to work with.
I will be sure to share this feedback with him.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The bathroom smelled like pee when we entered the room. I asked for housekeeping to come clean it while we went to dinner. When we returned, smell was the same. They said somebody cleaned it, but it was unbearable. Too bad. Pretty hotel, great restaurant and bar downstairs, and all of the staff members were great.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank chellebr

Dear Chellebr:

It was great to hear you enjoyed your the hotel and our team took great care of you.
Please know I will look into the issue you experienced with you bathrooom and adress it.
The property and team are fantastic! I hope you return again soon so we can show what a great property we have.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I picked this hotel over other options because I have heard that the Kimpton hotels are uniformly good, but that was not my experience at all. They seem to be more show than tell - i.e., pretty rooms, fancy leopard-print bathrobes, etc., but no customer service. As an example, for some reason my king-size bed had only a sheet (no comforter, duvet, or other blanket) and two tiny pillows (about half the size of standard) that were flat as pancakes. When I called the front desk to ask them for more pillows and blankets, it took them over an hour (and two more phone calls) to show up at my door, and even then they only brought two additional pillows (no blankets). At that point it was about 1 AM and I just wanted to sleep, so I gave up. I requested that housekeeping leave additional linens the next day, but when I returned to my room at 7 pm after being out all day, my room hadn't been made up at all. The housekeeping staff did not replenish the minibar at all during my 4-night stay.

The desk staff was generally unfriendly, and although they did offer to reimburse me for my wifi charges to address the inconvenience, they ended up charging me anyway, which I did not discover until I received my credit card statement. In calling back to address the charges, I was forwarded to their finance manager, who never returned my voicemail (I gave him 2 days before calling back). Although it did get straightened out after several phone calls, it should not have been such a hassle.

I will note that the manager did refund half of the room charge for one of the nights of my stay, but even at the reduced rate (for a single night), this hotel simply wasn't worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Keldy23

Dear Keldy 23:

I was dissapointed to read the details of your stay.
As you can see from so many other reviewers this is not the level of service we typcially provide.
I will be sure to review your comments with your team and we will adress these concerns.
Should you have the time I woudl appreciate hearing from you so I can personally apologize.

443-692-6761

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Whenever I'm in the Baltimore area, I try my best to stay at this hotel. They consistently knock it out of the park in terms of ambiance, service, amenities and the extras. I'm a big fan of Kimpton Hotels overall, but this hotel seems to be the best out of their bunch. The location is great and I've never really had an issue with room cleanliness or broken amenities (I once had an issue where they're iPod speakers/radios weren't working, and they replaced the unit very quickly).

This hotel is especially great for couples looking for a quick getaway, or business travels who have a little bit of free time to enjoy their trip after their work activities. If a suite with one of the soaking tubs are available, go ahead and get the upgrade... it's so worth it, in my view.

One drawback I should be honest about: The overnight valet parking rate is simply too high. North of $35 per night just doesn't cut it in my view. If you have the ability to get there without parking your car at the hotel, try your best to do so.

Other than that, I have nothing but high marks for this hotel. My last stay was the end of September 2013, and all that I've come to expect out of this hotel has remained the same, or exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: Biggest recommendation I could make is go ahead and register for the Kimpton In-Touch membership pro...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jakob_Dononvan

Dear Jakob_Donanvon:

Thank you for the great review.
Our team will be delighted to hear how much you enjoy staying with us.
Thank you for your loyalty! We look forward to seeing you again soon.