“Perfect spot for visiting Inner Harbor”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our first visit to Baltimore and we have never stayed at a Kimpton. This is a great location for visiting the Inner Harbor and all of its surroundings. We used the valet parking and felt it was well worth the $35/night. Parking downtown is scarce. Walter at the front door was wonderful. We checked in and used the secret code word from Facebook and received a $40 credit at the restaurant. Chanelle at the front desk took care of us at check in and out and she was delightful! The room was huge and very clean. The only complaint, the pillows were very soft. Not comfortable at all. We ate at the B&O for breakfast using our $40 credit. It wasn't cheap. $70 for breakfast for four. Service was friendly but VERY slow. The menu was a bit odd but what we ordered was tasty. My husband and I enjoyed the wine hour. A great selection of red and white and also Sangria. We didn't eat the food, tuna salad. The hotel is gorgeous, clean and well staffed. I would stay again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear zodiacrunner:

Thank you for spending your first Kimpton experience with us.
Our team will be happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Joe Pagone

Write a ReviewReviews (1,696)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Around the first of June, my boy friend and I booked a trip at the Monaco Baltimore, a Kimpton Hotel in hopes of having a great, first time experience in Baltimore. Needless to say, the only thing that put a damper on a our time in Baltimore, was the Kimpton. Before even arriving, when we were doing room requests, we asked for early check-in, foam pillows, and a high floor in order to get a good view of the city. After seventy two hours of no response on our requests, we emailed the hotel regarding our requests. No response. After almost a month on no response, my boy friend called the hotel and spoke with a customer service representative, who responded by saying "we" (the Kimpton staff) "will make sure that your room is a top priority and cleaned first in order for you to check in early." The representative also guaranteed us our high floor and pillows, but needless to say, these words were hollow and meant nothing.

We arrived in Baltimore on the 19th of July. The weather was hot and humid, close to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The time was around ten, and eager to get out of the heat, we called the hotel twice, three hours between each call, regarding our early check in. Our room was never cleaned early, and we were promised a phone call whenever our room was ready for arrival. This "sincere promise" was made at ten o'clock in the morning when we first called. After receiving no word from the hotel, and after having driven over eight hours to get to Baltimore, my boy friend and I decided to escape the heat by exploring the downtown and the harbor. Thank goodness for the National Aquarium and historical monuments and sites around the harbor. They were the only things keeping us in town!

Around six o'clock, three hours after normal check in for guests, we called the hotel and finally received word that our room was ready. Hot and sweaty, we made it to our room (1022), only to find that our foam pillows were missing, a noticeable hole in the carpet floor, small traces of dirt around the base of the tub from its jets, and no greetings from any of the hotel staff. The only good thing about our stay at the Kimpton was that it was close to the harbor and parking garages. After having cleaned our tub ourselves, ignoring the hole in the floor, and getting cleaned up from being out in the heat all afternoon, my boyfriend and I left the hotel to enjoy the scenery of Baltimore.

The next day, the Kimpton continued to surprise us by providing us poor room service. After a full day of exploring the city, my boy friend and I returned to our rooms that night to wash up and relax. We then requested new sheets for our bed before leaving for dinner. When we returned, we found that our comforter had been removed from our room. Seeing as two thin sheets would not keep two adults warm, we requested the return of our comforter and an extra blanket. Twenty minutes later, room service finally arrived with two blankets. . . Seriously? Completely annoyed at that point, my boy friend and I went to bed and woke up bright and early the next day to leave Baltimore and head back home.

Back home and looking back at our experience in Baltimore and at the Kimpton, I can honestly say that I enjoyed seeing the sights of the city, but was let down tremendously by the service I received at the hotel, especially considering I am a Kimpton In-Touch Member. The hotel has serious potential. It is in a great location and has a great atmosphere; however, the staff is in need of change or new training in order to meet up with expectations. At this point, I probably would not stay at a Kimpton establishment again until changes were made and staff underwent new training in order to fulfill customer requests. The cost of my stay was not worth such poor service.

1  Thank Dexter G
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Dexter G:

I was very dissapointed to read your review.
As you can see form our other reviews this is not the type of service we deliver.
I have left you a voice mail and was hoping to discuss your experience in more details.
I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our stay at the Monaco was exceptional. From our doorman to the receptionist to security, the service was outstanding. Conveniently located by Camden Yards, the Inner Harbor and a short ride/walk to Fells Point. They said pet friendly and meant it. There was a water dish, food dish and small bed for our dog when we arrived in our room. Nice touch. The room was very clean and fully stocked. I took advantage of the bike borrowing amenity and rode along the harbor to Canton. The bike was no great shakes, but a good way to get around. There is also free street parking between 6pm and 8am around the corner.

Dear Mark Z:

Sounds like you had a great weekend in Baltimore.
Our central location and our bike program make it very easy to see all that Baltimore has to offer. Thank you for your kind remarks we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We chose it for the easy walk to Camden Yards. We were impressed with the service we received from the moment we pulled up to the curb. The valet was helpful in letting us know about a self park around the corner to save on the cost of parking since we planned on walking everywhere and wouldn't be needing our car. Every staff member encounter at this hotel made us feel like they wanted us there. Even the guy cleaning the carpets stopped because he saw me approaching my room. The hotel is an old historic building and is just beautiful to walk through. We also walked to the harbor which is close with a huge variety of restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear tjtj44:

Sounds like you had a great stay!
Thank you for sharing with the TA community.
We hope you join us again soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed here last year and had an amazing experience, so we suggested family stay here for our wedding, and we did as well.

The hotel is clean, and the building is stunning.

The receptionist was polite, but seemed confused by the requests for the multiple rooms we had booked. Said she would try to get us all on the same floor, but was unable to honor that request (I suppose given the large group at the hotel that this was not so surprising).

The valet and bell staff are amazingly responsive, and very easy to work with. Guest services wasn't terribly responsive to non-standard requests, which is fine but a bit disappointing.

The only real glitch with our stay was that the hang-tag for room service clearly said that continental breakfast starts at 7:00 am. Ours was a Saturday morning wedding; I decided to do room service breakfast, as someone was coming to do my hair at 8:00. At 7:05 we got a call from someone stating that the time was a "misprint", and that they were unable to fulfill the request, and wouldn't be able to serve till 8:00! Fortunately, there's a coffee shop across the street that opens early, but they really need to fix that hang-tag!

Dear JM:

Thank you for staying with us not once but twice.
Great to hear our team took good care of you.
My apologies for the breakfast issue you experienced please know we will review and adress with our team. We hope you join us for a third stay.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I booked a room as a birthday getaway weekend for my husband. I always attempt to read reviews for 4 star and above rated hotels. So, I did just that for Hotel Monaco. I appreciated the feedback which helped prepare me for our stay.

The hotel has marble throughout. It is rather beautiful- from the staircase to the walls surrounding the elevator. Words can't explain how impressed I was when I walked in the hotel. To keep my review simple:

Pros: Modern contemporary hotel. There are high ceilings which makes the rooms feel large. Happy Hour at 5pm-includes juice, wine (red and white) and Sangria-FREE. Excellent server during Happy Hour and very helpful. In fact, my husband and I enjoyed a game of chess along with enjoying our drinks. The hotel is conveniently attached to a restaurant. The Hotel staff provided complimentary continental breakfast passes to the restaurant. If you are into pets, then this is a great place as the hotel provides a dog bed, bowls etc. There are refreshments, toiletry items, in the refrigerator and cabinet in the room. If you sign up to become a loyalty member then you can enjoy up to $10 per stay of those items. Halls and foyer are decorated with quality craftsmanship. There is a display on the 2nd floor which is showcased to explain the history of the building. This is a secure hotel that requires the use of the key card to operate the elevators to floors with guest rooms. Rooms are very clean and beds comfortable. Bathroom is spacious and modern.

Cons: I consider these cons to be minimal as the pros far outweigh the cons. I do want to share this information to the management team of the Monaco to enhance the amenities...There was dog hair on the carpet by the elevator of the 10th floor (this is an upscale hotel and even though it accommodates pets I didn't want to see dog hair on the carpet. What can I say?). The railing of the marble staircase needs to be cleaned as it is very noticeable where people hold onto the railing.

Overall, this is a GREAT place to stay. Friendly atmosphere. Comfortable, quiet setting in center city. I would definitely stay at Hotel Monaco-Baltimore again!!

Room Tip: Request a specific room with a view. Also determine ahead of time if you prefer a bathroom with a tu...

Dear Tajavien:

Thank you for your detailed review.
It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay.
Please know we appreicate the feedback.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was our first experience at a Kimpton Hotel. Like many of the reviews stated the hotel is in a great location and beautifully appointed. From the moment we arrived at the curb my family of 4 was greeted with respectfully and treated like we mattered. The curbside valet helped us unload the vehicle, answered questions for us and got a bellhop to assist us to our room after I checked in. The aqua package we booked included tickets to the aquarium which were handed to me upon check-in with a letter explaining how to use them (will call window) and a ticket for breakfast the next morning. The wine hour was great even with young children. The hotel provided all natural juice pouches. The front desk heard me mention it was my birthday and the staff went above and beyond to make me feel special! My children enjoyed the goldfish in the room, even when we had to take it to the front desk to get a new one. They named their vacation buddy and thought it was a fun touch! I have recommended this hotel to my parents, friends and families. I will be visiting again someday soon!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear lbsox:

Sounds like a great family weekend in Baltimore.
Thank you for choosing us for your accomodations.
We hope to have back again soon.