“Luxury and Convenience!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sacramento, California
“Luxury and Convenience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Upon arrival, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and the building is beautiful inside and out! The front desk is on the second floor, which threw me off for a minute, but that's ok. The room was spacious, nicely decorated, and the high ceilings give the feeling of more space, which I loved.

The bar and restaurant is located downstairs, along with a restroom area that blew my mind. Ok, I know that's a little strange to say, but it had mood lighting, some sort of awesome scent in the air, a Rothko painting, and two luxuriously upholstered chairs next to a fireplace...heaven! LOL. We didn't eat at the restaurant but we did have a couple drinks at the bar during happy hour; the drinks were ok and the prices were reasonable. During a future stay, I would probably seek out a local bar instead.

Camden Yards, Inner Harbor, Federal Hill, Walters Museum, and historic downtown area are all within walking distance. There are a number of food and drink options nearby as well.

• 5 of 5 stars
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear MellyMel1973:

Thank you for staying with us!
Glad to hear you had a great stay and our team took good care of you.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Joe Pagone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Korean first
Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Wonderful renovation of the old B&O railroad building. Lovely rooms, friendly staff. Short walk to inner harbor and Camden Yards. Only complaint is slow elevators, but it may have been a temporary situation. Great bar with interesting assortment of drinks.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view. Many rooms give out on brick walls of adjacent buildings.
1 Thank mrassist
Dear Mrassist:

The building really is something to admire I am glad you noticed.
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay I hope you had a chance to read through our history on our panel tour of the building located on the second floor.
Don't be a stranger.

Hershey, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Old charm building with contemporary upgraded rooms. Clean & safe. Walking distance to everything. Incredibly friendly staff. Reliable valet service. Only issue was finding registration desk. I would stay here again!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Millers Child:

Glad you made the choice to stay with us.
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay I will be sure to share this great feedback with our entire team. We hope to see you again soon.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed two nights for business in March. Nice place, beautiful historic renovations in the building. If you are an architecture buff or appreciate renovated building, you will love this place. However, take ear plugs because it is pretty loud on the downtown streets.

If you use bar soap, bring your own because there was only shower gel available for use.

I called ahead of time and requested a feather free room. Arrived at 5:00. Had to wait an hour for my room to be "de-featherized." I don't understand this. The hotel gave me a bottle wine for my wait, but it was not needed since the wine is complimentary in the late afternoon.

Meeting facility was nice, food was outstanding for the meetings.

Service in the restaurant sucked, but I have already taken this up with the manager.

I am a Kimpton fan so I would return if I were ever in this area, unless I wanted to be closer to the waterfront. It was not just a hop, skip and a jump away. And probably not safe to walk to alone.

Room Tip: Ask in advance for a quiet room location if you want to sleep at night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Terriv
Dear Terriv:

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing this feedback with us.
We love hearing that our guests enjoyed the beauty and history of our building.
We are located about 3 blocks from the water in a down town location so sometimes those city streets can be a bit noisy. I will be sure to follow up with our team on the issues you experienced in the restaurant and at arrival, I can assure this was a one off. We do hope you join us again soon.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times on business. Cant' say enough good things about the hotel staff. Hotel is in a wonderful historic building (I believe that is true for most of this chain). Rooms are very comfortable and nicely furnished - bathrooms - at least in the suites (haven't stayed in regular room) - are huge. Located in the heart of downtown Baltimore- though area is a bit dicey to walk at night... You are well taken care of at Kimpton properties. Nice wine reception each evening for guests...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear JMc1225:

Thanks for taking the time to share you feedback with the TA community.
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and had a great Kimpton experience.
We love taking care of our guests and great to hear you felt the love.

Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've stayed at Kimpton properties in various cities, and the Monaco is one of their premium hotels. This property does not disappoint. The building is originally the B & O Railroad HQ and it is a sumptuous building with fantastic architectural details. My room on the 12th floor had a very modern and luxurious bathroom with a deep and long jacuzzi tub that fit my 6'4 body very well (separate glass shower). Location is very convenient to Inner Harbor, with lots of restaurant choices within 4-6 blocks. I was tired and decided to just dine at B & O Restaurant at be hotel. I have NEVER had a bad meal at a Monaco or Palomar (the two premium Kimpton properties). The meal was not "horrible" enough to send back (we had the lamb sausage/ribs, crab Mac & cheese, Brussels sprouts, beet salad), but it was very forgettable. The bartender was GREAT, and I'd recommend this place for drinks, but eat elsewhere.

1 Thank BernardRene
Dear BernardRene:

I wish I could say I had that problem of fitting in tubs unfortunately I do not (If the tubs get any bigger I will need water wings) . Thanks for being such a big Kimpton fan. As you know we take our food very seriously as we will the comments on our restaurant. We do hope you join us again as our new Chef has just finished rolling out his new menu.

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very nice hotel. Room was very small, bed and pillows were uncomfortable. The room was always very warm and stuffy. But at least it was quiet. Doesn't have a pool which was a big disappoitment. The worst of our experience was the restraurant. Horribly pricey and the food was just ok, nothing to write home about. I splurged on room service for breakfast and it was the absolute worst breakfast I have ever had. I ordered Rye toast 2 eggs and ham with tomato juice. What I got was the 2 scrambled eggs and ham plus potatoes and A SLICE of rye bread - not toasted. The bread wasn't fresh and was horribly dry. And it was all COLD! You can get a better meal at McDonald's and I have! This Chef should do himself a favor and stop concentrating on ways to make Pork Belly and concentrate on his skills to make and serve a simple breakfast. Oh and maybe lower his prices $100 for a plain fish dinner for 2 people is outrageous! No appetizers and no alcohol just ice tea. Service was ok, but a little slow.

Room Tip: Too expensive to justify.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
Dear melnmissy:

Great to hear you loved the hotel and our your guest room.
We will be sure to share your feedback on the food with our restaurant team.
Our new Chef did just roll out a new menu so we do hope you come check it out.