“Nice hotel, loud outside”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed two nights for business in March. Nice place, beautiful historic renovations in the building. If you are an architecture buff or appreciate renovated building, you will love this place. However, take ear plugs because it is pretty loud on the downtown streets.

If you use bar soap, bring your own because there was only shower gel available for use.

I called ahead of time and requested a feather free room. Arrived at 5:00. Had to wait an hour for my room to be "de-featherized." I don't understand this. The hotel gave me a bottle wine for my wait, but it was not needed since the wine is complimentary in the late afternoon.

Meeting facility was nice, food was outstanding for the meetings.

Service in the restaurant sucked, but I have already taken this up with the manager.

I am a Kimpton fan so I would return if I were ever in this area, unless I wanted to be closer to the waterfront. It was not just a hop, skip and a jump away. And probably not safe to walk to alone.

Room Tip: Ask in advance for a quiet room location if you want to sleep at night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Terriv
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Terriv:

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing this feedback with us.
We love hearing that our guests enjoyed the beauty and history of our building.
We are located about 3 blocks from the water in a down town location so sometimes those city streets can be a bit noisy. I will be sure to follow up with our team on the issues you experienced in the restaurant and at arrival, I can assure this was a one off. We do hope you join us again soon.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times on business. Cant' say enough good things about the hotel staff. Hotel is in a wonderful historic building (I believe that is true for most of this chain). Rooms are very comfortable and nicely furnished - bathrooms - at least in the suites (haven't stayed in regular room) - are huge. Located in the heart of downtown Baltimore- though area is a bit dicey to walk at night... You are well taken care of at Kimpton properties. Nice wine reception each evening for guests...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear JMc1225:

Thanks for taking the time to share you feedback with the TA community.
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and had a great Kimpton experience.
We love taking care of our guests and great to hear you felt the love.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've stayed at Kimpton properties in various cities, and the Monaco is one of their premium hotels. This property does not disappoint. The building is originally the B & O Railroad HQ and it is a sumptuous building with fantastic architectural details. My room on the 12th floor had a very modern and luxurious bathroom with a deep and long jacuzzi tub that fit my 6'4 body very well (separate glass shower). Location is very convenient to Inner Harbor, with lots of restaurant choices within 4-6 blocks. I was tired and decided to just dine at B & O Restaurant at be hotel. I have NEVER had a bad meal at a Monaco or Palomar (the two premium Kimpton properties). The meal was not "horrible" enough to send back (we had the lamb sausage/ribs, crab Mac & cheese, Brussels sprouts, beet salad), but it was very forgettable. The bartender was GREAT, and I'd recommend this place for drinks, but eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BernardRene

Dear BernardRene:

I wish I could say I had that problem of fitting in tubs unfortunately I do not (If the tubs get any bigger I will need water wings) . Thanks for being such a big Kimpton fan. As you know we take our food very seriously as we will the comments on our restaurant. We do hope you join us again as our new Chef has just finished rolling out his new menu.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very nice hotel. Room was very small, bed and pillows were uncomfortable. The room was always very warm and stuffy. But at least it was quiet. Doesn't have a pool which was a big disappoitment. The worst of our experience was the restraurant. Horribly pricey and the food was just ok, nothing to write home about. I splurged on room service for breakfast and it was the absolute worst breakfast I have ever had. I ordered Rye toast 2 eggs and ham with tomato juice. What I got was the 2 scrambled eggs and ham plus potatoes and A SLICE of rye bread - not toasted. The bread wasn't fresh and was horribly dry. And it was all COLD! You can get a better meal at McDonald's and I have! This Chef should do himself a favor and stop concentrating on ways to make Pork Belly and concentrate on his skills to make and serve a simple breakfast. Oh and maybe lower his prices $100 for a plain fish dinner for 2 people is outrageous! No appetizers and no alcohol just ice tea. Service was ok, but a little slow.

Room Tip: Too expensive to justify.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear melnmissy:

Great to hear you loved the hotel and our your guest room.
We will be sure to share your feedback on the food with our restaurant team.
Our new Chef did just roll out a new menu so we do hope you come check it out.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I got a AAA deal to stay at the Monaco Baltimore, which is right near the Inner Harbor. We had been talking about going for awhile, so my boyfriend took me for my birthday. We got an amazing deal on the Mediterranean suite, which was so beauitful we decided to stay in for the night since we only had one night to stay. We enjoyed sitting by the fire and having a drink at the complimentary wine happy hour, took advantange of the giant whirlpool tub and complimentary champange we received for my birthday, and slept soundly in the soft and beautiful bed. The decorations were modern and attractive, the room clean...it was amazing. We are actually going back for Memorial Day, staying in the King Premiere. I didn't get a deal for this one, but I couldn't imagine staying at a different hotel, even if it saved me some money. I have been ruined for life. My only complaint was that when we were checking in we had a mishap with the AAA deal. It sorted itself out, but for some reason the coupon wasn't appearing on my AAA account, and the woman who checked us in took forever trying to resolve the situation, which caused a lot of stress walking in the door. Nonetheless, I received an e-mail after we returned home, and I was assured the problem would be rectified for the future. I was more than pleased, and this hotel will go down in the books as my all time favorite.

Room Tip: If you want bells and whistles, the Mediterranean suite is the way to go!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Artsydoll:

Sounds like a great evening!
Some wine by the fire a soak in one of our awesome tubs and a great night sleep.
I know you mentioned that you are returning on Memorial day please give me a call so I can be sure to meet you.

443-692-6761

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I spent one night in the Hotel Monaco over the weekend. When selecting the hotel we were going to stay in I did extensive research and inevitably arrived at this one. I thought the pictures that were on this sight looked good but not quite our taste, however I had heard good things about this hotel chain and we decided to give it a shot. Upon arriving the pictures just do not do it justice. This place is beautiful. The room was nice and clean with very high ceilings. The bathroom was also extremely nice and well maintained. The negative things I would say about this place is that the maid service seemed a bit poor. Upon arriving we found that there was no hand soap anywhere in the room. I called the front desk and they sent up some immediately. No big deal. However the next day when we got up to take showers we found that there were no towels to go on the floor anywhere. The shower in our room was glass and only partially closed (no door just a small glass partition to keep water from getting everywhere). The floor was tile. Most hotels provide a floor towel so you don’t slip and fall or have to walk barefoot where a thousand other people have, but there were none in our room so we made it work with a hand towel. And the final thing about the maid service that frustrated me was at approximately 0930 on the morning we were checking out a maid knocked on our door and asked when we were leaving. To her credit we hadn't placed the do not disturb sign on the door but a simple phone call would have sufficed. The shower head had pretty poor water pressure which I assume is due to an attempt at being "eco friendly" but in my opinion when you are paying luxury prices to stay somewhere a regular shower head with good water pressure is appropriate. All in all the room was very nice and clean. We had no issues what so ever with anything else. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We booked a standard room. They sent us a email 2 days prior to our stay asking if we wanted an upg...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brine6415

Dear Brine:6415:

Thank you for staying with us.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to welcome you back soon so you can have a flawless stay.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel has one of the grandest entrance I have ever seen! The rooms are generously sized even for a US hotel which tend to have large rooms. Unlike hotels in modern builds, these rooms are very airy with high ceilings and large windows.

Excellent wifi in the room (which is often hit and miss in other hotels). There is an ethernet connection in the room as well. (Free if you sign up to their loyalty program.) Also a box with USB charging points for phones and tablets.

Free coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning and a free drink in the evening. How civilized!

Room Tip: Light sleepers should ask for a room not facing the main streets or the building with an air vent on...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Quantumlondon1

Dear Quantumlondon1:

Glad to hear you had a good stay and felt the same way about the arrival experience as I do.
We do work hard to be civilized (and have a littel fun too)

We hope to see you soon,