“My Favorite Place in Baltimore”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Exeter
“My Favorite Place in Baltimore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Where to begin....

The hotel is elegantly designed, that combines the best features of continental and modern design. The staff is nothing short of remarkable in terms of their professionalism, attention to deal and willingness to go the extra mile.

The rooms at this hotel are spectacular! They are unbelievably spacious and appointed with the famous Kimpton beds and beautifully crafted furniture. The room is classy, warm and inviting and encourages a "loungy" long weekend.

Room service selections are priced fairly and offer a wide selection.

This is THE place to stay while in Baltimore

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Keith T,

Thank you very much for recognizing us as THE place to stay in Baltimore. Please come and visit again soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Korean first
austin, tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Many of my friends have stayed at this hotel prior to my visit, so my husband and I decided to give it a try. We had heard that upon check-in, you can request a goldfish "pet" in your room during your stay, which was a very nice touch. The B&O Brasserie had great food, and the evening wine hour in the hotel lounge was a great addition to our stay. The room was comfortable and the staff was very friendly, especially Big Dave. He's a not-to-be-missed experience all on his own at this gorgeous hotel.

However, on the second day of our stay, I discovered bugbites on my feet and around my ankles, which appeared after a short nap in our room. It is still unclear whether they happened when I was out earlier that day, during a cab ride, or in the room, but I want to be clear that the hotel bug report came back clear of any pests. Upon reporting the problem, the hotel immediately switched our room and the housekeeping director said she will be calling me with results of a formal inspection.

Since I have returned home, and wrote my original hotel review, the housekeeping director at Hotel Monaco had not contacted me. I was very upset. However, very soon after my original review published, the Kimpton management team did contact me and were, in a word, amazing. The manager turned a rather terrible customer service experience into something that made me feel like a valued customer. I am grateful they contacted me, I am very satisfied with the level of seriousness they applied to the sitaution, and I would not hesitate to recommend Kimpton hotels to family and friends if this is the level to which they measure themselves.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anna S
Dear austintxtraveler29,

We are thrilled that you allowed us to turn your situation around and that you will continue to recommend Kimpton in the future!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

I checked in Manaco Baltimore for work purposes on May 30 and received $10 gift card for minibar, as I subscribed to the Kimpton Club. I got a Luna bar from the mini-bar as I was hungry and noticed a very weird aftertaste -- apparently it expired 4.5 month ago! I brought the bar to the front desk, and lady told me that house-kipping supervisor needs to come to my room, check the bar and bring me a new one... 20 minutes later a service guy showed up with a new minibar MENU. I told him that it was not what was needed and and he said he could not help me and I need to call the front desk. Here we go again. This time I've asked for a compensation for getting and actually eating an expired product from their mini-bar. After holding on phone for 10 more minutes, I got $20 credit for breakfast. Really? What Kind of service it that?..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Natalia S,

I can not apologize enough for having an expired item in our mini-bar and for the way we handled the situation when you brought it our attention. We will definitely address this with our staff and make sure we have procedures in place so we do not have anything else expire.
York PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel through Sniqueaway for a long weekend vacation. Hotel was very elegant with large modern room. Marble and granite throughout the facility including the bathroom which had a huge walk-in marble shower. Was very impressed with the late afternoon wine reception on the second floor lobby. About two blocks from Inner Harbor. Only negative comment was that the service at the restaurant for breakfast was slow and the the prices were exorbitant for breakfast but would definitely come here again.

1 Thank Burm
Dear Burm,

Thank you for your response and letting us know about your experience in the restaurant. The restaurant General Manager will be addressing the breakfast concerns you that brought to our attention. We are glad that overall you had a good visit and we look forward to your return.
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

The building is the old B & O Railroad building. Has beautiful original marble and stain glass and impressive stair case. Would be a beautiful location for a wedding. The rooms and decor had a contemporary flair. The lobby had several inviting sitting areas with a contemporary fireplace to relax by after a day at the Harbor. Wine tasting every evening was great. The staff was friendly, very eager to assist in any way. Thanks to all the staff especially the valets! The Habor was a few short blocks away. If you go also check out Brio's, only 3 blocks away. Great restaurant!

Dear whoddat,

Thank you very much for your review with such an accurate description of our hotel. We are happy to read that you were able to have fun at the Inner Harbor as well!
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Prologue: If you hate lengthy and detailed reviews, jump down to "Summary" to get the drift!

Being connected with Kimpton via Facebook and Twitter does offer some perks! Sometimes they offer some "secret word", and if you say that at check in, you get something extra.

In addition to that, it is crucial to be an Intouch Member, meaning being signed up (for free!!) for their Kimpton loyalty programme. It gives you free internet during your stay and a daily minibar credit of $10.

Kimpton has this "match best rate guarantee" (or so), that means they will honour the lower price you might have found online, compared to their own best price. There are exceptions, and until March Sniqueaway offers had not been matched. To get this low rate, we had to book via Sniqueaway in February, instead booking with Kimpton directly.

So we had booked a mediterranean suite for a steal, but since it was a third party booking, they didn't really understand who was coming. They of course had the reservation in the system, found easily by the confirmation number I had brought along (just in case), but they didn't realize it was us, the Intouch members they knew.

I know the difference because when we stayed here before with a Kimpton booking, the reception was completely different, they had read our profile and knew your preferences, but when the booking comes from outside, they can't seem to connect the dots that here comes the same old guest, just with another booking source.

Also, there was no email from the consierge prior to our arrival, and from other direct bookings we know they normally do send emails out to guests several days ahead asking for preferences or offering advice and help. Not with a third party booker.

But it was not a problem, I said at check in that we are members and we were found in the system and were awarded our minibar credit and free Internet access. But there was no coffeemaker in the room, as they had not checked the profile, since that third party booking probably was run under another system.

No biggie, while on the way out to town we informed the front desk of the missing coffee maker, and she said someone would bring it right up. When we came back 2 hours later, it hadn't been brought up. Before leaving again for dinner we asked again, this time shift had changed, someone else was there, and we were again asured that someone would bring it up to the suite. When we returned from dinner it was waiting there.

Since this issue was not experienced with a direct Kimpton booking, I assume it had to do with the computer system not assuming the third party booker could actuallly be a real Intouch Member. Luckily by now Sniqueaway rates are among the honoured rates, so this issue will be extinct soon.

Now to the suite:

it was a corner suite and really wonderful! We were on the 11th floor (#1110) and were absolutely happy with this suite!

Entering into the hallway, on the right we found the closet with the robes, ironing board, an umbrella and the safe. Then, upon entering the living room, on the right a very comfortable sofa with coffeetable on the right, and on the left side of the room was the desk with ergonomic desk chair (I wished I could have that at my office!), big flat TV and the minibar. The was a great chair sitting in the corner of the living room, perfect for relaxing and watching TV. And it was so stylish, my wife loved it!

The bed room had a king bed with 2 luggage-style night stands at each side, a dresser and a second big flat TV on it. There was also an additional phone, but since we didn't use that, I can't say anything about that.

2 minor flunks: the minibar was not really complete, the small Fred (water) bottle was missing. We always use our $10 credit for Fred water bottles, as they are so practical to re-use at home and on the road. We thought it would be too ridiculous to call for a single bottle of water, so we took another small water bottle instead, but that was a glass one and won't be going on the road with us as the other (Fred) ones are.

The big (1 liter) bottle was there, but only one, so we took that along the small glass bottle. We would have taken 2 big Freds, but there was just one available. Still, my whole mentioning here makes it seem more than it actually was, really no biggie. We were only worried that the missing small bottle would be asigned to us (as if we had taken it), because it was listed on the menu as available inside the minibar.

The other flunk was the closed safe. Normally it would be open, so you can put your things inside there, and THEN YOU make up a code number and then you close it. Here it was already closed, and when I tried to open it, it required a code that I of course did not know. I could have made a call, and I am sure it would have been fixed, but we didn't really have bundles of cash or crown jewels with us, so we took the few real important items along when we left the room.

The layout of this suite should be presented better on Kimpton's website, because I really believe they are not doing it justice with the picture they currently show! This was a corner suite with a string of HUUUUGE + TAAAALL windows in 2 directions!

I have seen that Trump Hotels have floor plans on their website you can look at when you decide what room you would like to choose, and I am absolutely convinced this feature would make more people go for this fantastic suite!! They have 26 of these suites available, and if you could see the floor plan, you would always want that again!

The living room had 2 tall single windows, then it turned left to the bed room where we had 2 double windows plus one single window. All windows were tall and provided great views, and the corner layout gave us actually SEVEN WINDOWS!!! Wow...

We liftet all curtains and covers, as we wanted to see the full view, because we were right next to amazing buildings! From our bed (laying) we could see the golden top of the Bank of America building, also the other bank building with the small tower on top was right next to us.

The was a door between the living room and the bed room, which we left open. But maybe to some people it might be important to be able to close it, as the sofa can turn into a sleeping place for 2 more people, and in that case you might be glad to get some privacy and close that door between the rooms.

The window sills (imagine, we had seven of them!) were very deep, and this was so handy for putting things on. Like my coffee maker, or my wife's cosmetic bags and other stuff. I don't know how big these suites really are (sq footage), but it was very spacious and we had plenty of room.

The closet had 2 robes in L and XL which were perfect in size for us. We love these robes and always take advantage of this amenity after the bath.

Oh, talking about the bath. Now this is a bath!! It had a tiled shower with glass door (which could be bigger for 2, but for 1 it is very roomy), and then there is this Fuji tub you might have heard/read about. Very deep, 2 adults can sit in it (with feet lower than butt, so you actually sit on a seat within the tub!), and you can soak in almost shoulder-high water. And it has jets! Oh, we loved this!

Bathroom came with Bigelow toiletries and plenty many towels in many sizes, so we were well taken care of. I could spend a month here...

Our secret word gave a 2 free cocktails at the B&O Bar downstairs, and we took advantage of that after a day out in the harbour! It was after 10pm, and I think we were the last guests there, but we were very warmly welcomed and had not at all the feeling they were rushing. We chose 2 cocktails and had nice interactions with the server and (what seemed like) a manager.

We followed the recommendation for the cocktails and were very pleased with the advice given. It was the perfect ending of an adventurous day out, and now we were winding down. Next time we will likely come back and try more of their cocktails!

For breakfast we went out the next morning, we walked 3 minutes (really only 3 minutes) to a Subway store to get 2 sandwiches, and we met other guests in the elevators who were carrying McDonald's bags up to their rooms. There are many other similar options in walking distance, so if you have special dietary needs or budget concerns, you don't need to order room service or eat in the B&O downstairs. Of course you can!! And it might be great! But we liked the Subway option best.

Check out was at noon, and we enjoyed their outstanding service! We were able to leave our luggage with them and also the car, so we could visit a few more places in the afternoon before really going home.

When we finally came back to retrieve our luggage, it was between 5 and 6 (their wine hour), and we were offered to get a glass! That was so nice, and we did accept the offer. We had a very refreshing Sangria on ice and some cold amuse-bouches which were very delicate!

I am not mentioning the historic building and its features, the tiffany glass windows and the stairs, as I see that others did that already, so if you read this review, you will likely read the other reviews as well and you will get that covered then. Everything was clean and in great shape, and me not going into it further really only means that I think it would be redundant.

Summary:

Staff is helpful and kind, corner suite was incredibly great with 7 windows to enjoy the city views, and the spa bath alone is worth the 4 hour drive! Amenities are so plenty, everything was clean, comfortable and luxurious, so what else could one ask for? We enjoyed our stay tremendously and we will be back, and the Med Suite it is from now on!

I have taken a video of the suite, and I hope to figure out how to upload that file here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hartmut N
Dear Hartmut N,

Thank you for the very thorough review about your visit with us. Although you wrote there were minor flaws, we will definitely look into them and make sure we correct them appropriately. We hope to have you back sometime soon!
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Over the holiday weekend, we got quite a good rate on Priceline. Did not find the lower lobby a problem, as some others did. We just walked up the beautiful marble staircase to the next level. Our room was more than adequate, with high ceilings and a couple of cold beers (free) awaiting us on a hot day. Marble bathrooms quite nice. The hotel is within walking distance of the Inner Harbor, although the last portion of the return walk around 9:00 p.m. was a bit desolate. Christina at the front desk was quite helpful, and the only things which prevented a five star rating were some mustiness in certain areas of our floor, including the ice machine room, and a general feeling that some public areas could benefit from renovation.

2 Thank MichaelbMd
Dear MichaelbMd,

We are happy to read you spent the Holiday weekend with us. We will definitely look into your comments about our public areas and make sure they are corrected. We look forward to the next holiday so you can visit us again!