“Excellent stay in Med.Suite, only very minor flaws”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Excellent stay in Med.Suite, only very minor flaws”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Prologue: If you hate lengthy and detailed reviews, jump down to "Summary" to get the drift!

Being connected with Kimpton via Facebook and Twitter does offer some perks! Sometimes they offer some "secret word", and if you say that at check in, you get something extra.

In addition to that, it is crucial to be an Intouch Member, meaning being signed up (for free!!) for their Kimpton loyalty programme. It gives you free internet during your stay and a daily minibar credit of $10.

Kimpton has this "match best rate guarantee" (or so), that means they will honour the lower price you might have found online, compared to their own best price. There are exceptions, and until March Sniqueaway offers had not been matched. To get this low rate, we had to book via Sniqueaway in February, instead booking with Kimpton directly.

So we had booked a mediterranean suite for a steal, but since it was a third party booking, they didn't really understand who was coming. They of course had the reservation in the system, found easily by the confirmation number I had brought along (just in case), but they didn't realize it was us, the Intouch members they knew.

I know the difference because when we stayed here before with a Kimpton booking, the reception was completely different, they had read our profile and knew your preferences, but when the booking comes from outside, they can't seem to connect the dots that here comes the same old guest, just with another booking source.

Also, there was no email from the consierge prior to our arrival, and from other direct bookings we know they normally do send emails out to guests several days ahead asking for preferences or offering advice and help. Not with a third party booker.

But it was not a problem, I said at check in that we are members and we were found in the system and were awarded our minibar credit and free Internet access. But there was no coffeemaker in the room, as they had not checked the profile, since that third party booking probably was run under another system.

No biggie, while on the way out to town we informed the front desk of the missing coffee maker, and she said someone would bring it right up. When we came back 2 hours later, it hadn't been brought up. Before leaving again for dinner we asked again, this time shift had changed, someone else was there, and we were again asured that someone would bring it up to the suite. When we returned from dinner it was waiting there.

Since this issue was not experienced with a direct Kimpton booking, I assume it had to do with the computer system not assuming the third party booker could actuallly be a real Intouch Member. Luckily by now Sniqueaway rates are among the honoured rates, so this issue will be extinct soon.

Now to the suite:

it was a corner suite and really wonderful! We were on the 11th floor (#1110) and were absolutely happy with this suite!

Entering into the hallway, on the right we found the closet with the robes, ironing board, an umbrella and the safe. Then, upon entering the living room, on the right a very comfortable sofa with coffeetable on the right, and on the left side of the room was the desk with ergonomic desk chair (I wished I could have that at my office!), big flat TV and the minibar. The was a great chair sitting in the corner of the living room, perfect for relaxing and watching TV. And it was so stylish, my wife loved it!

The bed room had a king bed with 2 luggage-style night stands at each side, a dresser and a second big flat TV on it. There was also an additional phone, but since we didn't use that, I can't say anything about that.

2 minor flunks: the minibar was not really complete, the small Fred (water) bottle was missing. We always use our $10 credit for Fred water bottles, as they are so practical to re-use at home and on the road. We thought it would be too ridiculous to call for a single bottle of water, so we took another small water bottle instead, but that was a glass one and won't be going on the road with us as the other (Fred) ones are.

The big (1 liter) bottle was there, but only one, so we took that along the small glass bottle. We would have taken 2 big Freds, but there was just one available. Still, my whole mentioning here makes it seem more than it actually was, really no biggie. We were only worried that the missing small bottle would be asigned to us (as if we had taken it), because it was listed on the menu as available inside the minibar.

The other flunk was the closed safe. Normally it would be open, so you can put your things inside there, and THEN YOU make up a code number and then you close it. Here it was already closed, and when I tried to open it, it required a code that I of course did not know. I could have made a call, and I am sure it would have been fixed, but we didn't really have bundles of cash or crown jewels with us, so we took the few real important items along when we left the room.

The layout of this suite should be presented better on Kimpton's website, because I really believe they are not doing it justice with the picture they currently show! This was a corner suite with a string of HUUUUGE + TAAAALL windows in 2 directions!

I have seen that Trump Hotels have floor plans on their website you can look at when you decide what room you would like to choose, and I am absolutely convinced this feature would make more people go for this fantastic suite!! They have 26 of these suites available, and if you could see the floor plan, you would always want that again!

The living room had 2 tall single windows, then it turned left to the bed room where we had 2 double windows plus one single window. All windows were tall and provided great views, and the corner layout gave us actually SEVEN WINDOWS!!! Wow...

We liftet all curtains and covers, as we wanted to see the full view, because we were right next to amazing buildings! From our bed (laying) we could see the golden top of the Bank of America building, also the other bank building with the small tower on top was right next to us.

The was a door between the living room and the bed room, which we left open. But maybe to some people it might be important to be able to close it, as the sofa can turn into a sleeping place for 2 more people, and in that case you might be glad to get some privacy and close that door between the rooms.

The window sills (imagine, we had seven of them!) were very deep, and this was so handy for putting things on. Like my coffee maker, or my wife's cosmetic bags and other stuff. I don't know how big these suites really are (sq footage), but it was very spacious and we had plenty of room.

The closet had 2 robes in L and XL which were perfect in size for us. We love these robes and always take advantage of this amenity after the bath.

Oh, talking about the bath. Now this is a bath!! It had a tiled shower with glass door (which could be bigger for 2, but for 1 it is very roomy), and then there is this Fuji tub you might have heard/read about. Very deep, 2 adults can sit in it (with feet lower than butt, so you actually sit on a seat within the tub!), and you can soak in almost shoulder-high water. And it has jets! Oh, we loved this!

Bathroom came with Bigelow toiletries and plenty many towels in many sizes, so we were well taken care of. I could spend a month here...

Our secret word gave a 2 free cocktails at the B&O Bar downstairs, and we took advantage of that after a day out in the harbour! It was after 10pm, and I think we were the last guests there, but we were very warmly welcomed and had not at all the feeling they were rushing. We chose 2 cocktails and had nice interactions with the server and (what seemed like) a manager.

We followed the recommendation for the cocktails and were very pleased with the advice given. It was the perfect ending of an adventurous day out, and now we were winding down. Next time we will likely come back and try more of their cocktails!

For breakfast we went out the next morning, we walked 3 minutes (really only 3 minutes) to a Subway store to get 2 sandwiches, and we met other guests in the elevators who were carrying McDonald's bags up to their rooms. There are many other similar options in walking distance, so if you have special dietary needs or budget concerns, you don't need to order room service or eat in the B&O downstairs. Of course you can!! And it might be great! But we liked the Subway option best.

Check out was at noon, and we enjoyed their outstanding service! We were able to leave our luggage with them and also the car, so we could visit a few more places in the afternoon before really going home.

When we finally came back to retrieve our luggage, it was between 5 and 6 (their wine hour), and we were offered to get a glass! That was so nice, and we did accept the offer. We had a very refreshing Sangria on ice and some cold amuse-bouches which were very delicate!

I am not mentioning the historic building and its features, the tiffany glass windows and the stairs, as I see that others did that already, so if you read this review, you will likely read the other reviews as well and you will get that covered then. Everything was clean and in great shape, and me not going into it further really only means that I think it would be redundant.

Summary:

Staff is helpful and kind, corner suite was incredibly great with 7 windows to enjoy the city views, and the spa bath alone is worth the 4 hour drive! Amenities are so plenty, everything was clean, comfortable and luxurious, so what else could one ask for? We enjoyed our stay tremendously and we will be back, and the Med Suite it is from now on!

I have taken a video of the suite, and I hope to figure out how to upload that file here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hartmut N
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Hartmut N,

Thank you for the very thorough review about your visit with us. Although you wrote there were minor flaws, we will definitely look into them and make sure we correct them appropriately. We hope to have you back sometime soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Korean first
Maryland
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Over the holiday weekend, we got quite a good rate on Priceline. Did not find the lower lobby a problem, as some others did. We just walked up the beautiful marble staircase to the next level. Our room was more than adequate, with high ceilings and a couple of cold beers (free) awaiting us on a hot day. Marble bathrooms quite nice. The hotel is within walking distance of the Inner Harbor, although the last portion of the return walk around 9:00 p.m. was a bit desolate. Christina at the front desk was quite helpful, and the only things which prevented a five star rating were some mustiness in certain areas of our floor, including the ice machine room, and a general feeling that some public areas could benefit from renovation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MichaelbMd
Dear MichaelbMd,

We are happy to read you spent the Holiday weekend with us. We will definitely look into your comments about our public areas and make sure they are corrected. We look forward to the next holiday so you can visit us again!
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were looking to do a staycation in the area and chose the Monaco because it was pet friendly and we could bring our little pups with us. They greeted us with doggie treats and friendly service. Location is close enough to walk to the inner harbor, or a quick cab ride to great restaurants and neighborhoods. The hotel style is the usual Kimpton funky elegant style. Beds were super comfy and the bar in the hotel served really great drinks and snacks. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank csfbrooks
Dear csfbrooks

First of all, we love staycations!! Secondly, we are so happy you chose us for yours. We very much look forward to your next staycation and hope you can make it sooner than later.
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed here on our honeymoon, and had an excellent time! We were greeted upon arrival with happy faces and best wishes. We got our own "photography session" with Big Dave, which was quite fun and also some great excellent restaurant choices from him as well. The room is spacious but cozy at the same time. The staff member that we encountered was helpful and pleasant. Will definitely return. Thank you for making a mini honeymoon a pleasant one!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank MrsGarcia24
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear sakillik,

Congratulations and we are thrilled that you had a great mini honeymoon while staying with us. Please come back for another special occasion!
Cincinnati
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I spent 5 nights at this hotel while in Baltimore for work. It was my first time staying at a Kimpton Hotel, and overall i had a favorable impression. The room was large, comfortable and spotless.
The problem was very spotty service.
When I first arrived there was a Bell Hop and a Valet Attendant at the door to take my car and direct me to the lobby. The front desk was quick and efficient in checking me in. It went downhill from there. A short while later I called the desk repeatedly from my room without getting any answer. The next day while waiting in the 1st floor lobby for some friends I noticed there was no Bell Hop present. Quite a few arriving guests had to be directed to the 2nd floor Reecption by fellow guests. When arriving back at the hotel around 6.30pm one evening there was no Valet attendant or Bell Hop. I waited 5 minutes a the curb, and was about to go in and leave my keys at the reception desk when a valet attented sauntered up. The next morning I called down for my car. After waiting for 15 minutes at the door for it I checked on it, only to be told that there had recently been a shift change and they had not passed my ticket number onto the new shift. I was late for a meeting because of this.
One evening arrving back at my room after being out all day, I discovered the door was ajar due to the deadbolt being engaged while the door being open. How long the room had been open I will never know, but luckily nothing was missing. However it was an unsettling feeeling.
One night I returned from dinner to find a bottle of wine and a card on my nightstand, this having been misdelivered to my room. I wonder if the deserving recipient of this ever did recieve it.
The check out was once again quick and efficient.
I just find it suprising to have such spotty service at a hotel of this caliber.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank sakillik
Dear sakillik,

I am sorry to read that our service was so inconsistent. Please know that all points made in your review will be shared with the entire team and I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.
Ascutney, Vermont
Reviewed May 19, 2012

This was my first stay at this hotel. It is a reai treasure. Rooms are spacious, well decorated, and clean. Staff is very accomodating and helpful. Afternoon wine is served ina spacious and relaxing second floor lobby. I would stay at this hotel for my next stay in Baltimore-I could not ask for more. Location is great,service stellar.

Room Tip: This was my first altimore abexperience with the Mnaco Hotel. I have stayed in Bout ten times this p...