“One of the best exhbitis I have seen in a long time...”

American Visionary Art Museum
Ranked #5 of 229 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Be prepared for the unusual and imaginative at this museum housing works by non-mainstream artists, including the "whirligig", a 55-foot wind-powered sculpture, a 10-foot model of the Lusitania made entirely out of match sticks and a mobile that spans three floors.
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“One of the best exhbitis I have seen in a long time...”
Reviewed March 17, 2007

It is not a "traditional" museum. It is unique in style and exhbits artwork that challenges your mind and how one may view art. VERY COLORFUL and DIVERSE!! From well known to local artists, it is a must see and a museum that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, young and old. Everyone who visits Baltimore or lives in Baltimore should take a visit.

4 Thank pjarreau

columbia, md
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“I hateed it, my wife loves it.”
Reviewed October 21, 2006

The Cafeteria is very good, as is the gift shop. I find the art displayed of decidedly inferior quality. In fact, many of the artists are apparently psychotic and produce art that is revolting to anyone except perhaps surgeons or battle hardened soldiers.

On the other hand, my wife finds the art quite charming. The exhibits change very frequently.

For perspective, neither of us has the slightest bit of artistic ability.

4 Thank badback2
Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“So Original; Loved it!”
Reviewed September 25, 2006

The location for this museum is great; it's right near the Inner Harbor, so it's looking over the water. We heard about this museum after we took a boat cruise and the narration informed us that there were sculpture made out of toothpicks there....this I just had to see. The museums houses artwork made by artists who are not schooled, may have had mental illnesses, etc. The art is out of this world, and nothing like you have ever seen-I guarantee it....from a humungous ball of bras to a giant hand protruding from the building. Unfortunately, they were rearranging a certain exhibit so we weren't able to see the full collection (but they did give a discounted admission). Also, there is no food in the museum due to in-between management of their cafe. (no biggie, just eat before or after). Also, you cannot take photos of the artwork that is indoors. Lastly, you MUST stop in the giftshop. It is by far my favorite store now. LOVE IT! I am really happy we checked this place out.

5 Thank mchugh32000
Centereach, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Wish I had more time to spend here...”
Reviewed May 12, 2006

My husband and I spent 2nights in Baltimore recently and visited this museum for a few hours based on what I had read about it on Trip Advisor... and it was really worth the trip!!! I loved the unique views and enjoyed the idea that the pieces came from artists w/ no formal schooling... for me it added a whole different dimension, from people who have normal 9-5 jobs, to the institutionalized, to Grandmas... to Rosie O'Donnel. Some pieces were very basic, and to the other extreme, some had a lifetime worth of detail. Some exhibits were very serious and meaningful while others were fun and whimsical. I just loved spending time at this museum. Even my husband enjoyed it and he is not someone you would label as an Art Enthusiast. Also, I wished I had planned better because it's right next to Federal Hill - with more time I would have packed a little picnic for my husband and I.

14 Thank Baker-Mayy
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“A very different, very intriguing museum”
Reviewed February 12, 2006

This is not a "mainstream" museum for it showcases the work of self-taught artists with often unique perspectives. The museum's web site is quite well-done & worth looking at before you go-- e.g., it explains the difference between "visionary art" and "folk art" far better than I can -- but the museum itself packs even more of a wallop.

A museum with special appeal for teens [how common is that?!] since they are at a stage of life when they're questioning/wondering about their "self" and the world around them; it sparked some great conversations even after we left.

Extra bonuses: a nifty gift shop and the Joy America Cafe on the top floor with great views and fabulous food; closed all day on Mondays, it's open 'til 10 PM Tuesdays-Saturdays and for Sunday brunch... a fine destination in its own right.

6 Thank CockleCove