“Small free section, museum is over $20 bucks to see.”

American Visionary Art Museum
Ranked #5 of 243 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Be prepared for the unusual and imaginative at this museum housing works by non-mainstream artists, including the "whirligig", a 55-foot wind-powered sculpture, a 10-foot model of the Lusitania made entirely out of match sticks and a mobile that spans three floors.
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Wild art, amazing stuff and very creative. A must for people who like the recycled art scene. Great place for a wedding reception.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,374)

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had no idea what to expect when we decided to go to the AVAM, and what an unexpected place! Unusual, fascinating things at every turn. This may be the best attraction in the entire city.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I really liked the exhibitions even though it's a bit heterogenous. Loved the set up on the walls lining up the staircase.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Easily the most thought provoking museum I've been in in the past ten years or so! AVAM makes you ask yourself what makes some people "artists" and others not, what constitutes artistic vision, and even what the definition of sanity is! I laughed out loud, I wept, I chuckled, I thought - not a bad range of evocation for a small museum. If your trip to Baltimore only gives you time for one museum visit, make it this one - you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had no idea what to expect when we entered, but it was truly a unique and inspirational museum. It is amazing what artists with "no formal training" can create.