“Very innovative”

American Visionary Art Museum
Ranked #5 of 243 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Be prepared for the unusual and imaginative at this museum housing works by non-mainstream artists, including the "whirligig", a 55-foot wind-powered sculpture, a 10-foot model of the Lusitania made entirely out of match sticks and a mobile that spans three floors.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I really liked the exhibitions even though it's a bit heterogenous. Loved the set up on the walls lining up the staircase.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,374)

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Easily the most thought provoking museum I've been in in the past ten years or so! AVAM makes you ask yourself what makes some people "artists" and others not, what constitutes artistic vision, and even what the definition of sanity is! I laughed out loud, I wept, I chuckled, I thought - not a bad range of evocation for a small museum. If your trip to Baltimore only gives you time for one museum visit, make it this one - you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had no idea what to expect when we entered, but it was truly a unique and inspirational museum. It is amazing what artists with "no formal training" can create.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were completely enthralled by the needlework of Esther Krinitz, a War/Holocaust survivor. This is a must-see, well worth the price of admission (on exhibit in the museum until sometime in 2013). We enjoyed many of the other exhibits as well, and some of our group enjoyed the bar on the top floor.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

The AVAM exclusively showcases artists without formal training in the arts; this leads to a super eclectic, down-to-earth collection of all different mediums and styles. Set in a nice neighborhood just beyond Federal Hill, the AVAM hosts a lot of great events as well - I saw a PostSecret exhibition here.