“Will stick with you hours, days after you leave....”

American Visionary Art Museum
Ranked #5 of 226 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Be prepared for the unusual and imaginative at this museum housing works by non-mainstream artists, including the "whirligig", a 55-foot wind-powered sculpture, a 10-foot model of the Lusitania made entirely out of match sticks and a mobile that spans three floors.
Durham, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Will stick with you hours, days after you leave....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

Wanted to visit this museum for years. I'm not sure it was because of the potentially great art or the fact that I have a long interest in the mentally ill who either intentionally or unintentionally create great works of art. Either way I was duly satisfied. It was amazing and scary; provocative and banal; edgy and nostalgic; cheap and lovely; sweet and troubling; and in the end, the gift shop was only remotely a reflection of the interior, but more of a inside version of a street vendor. Was that intentional? Not sure.... I am glad I went although I left feeling a little sad. Not 'sad' for the artists so much, although some of their life circumstances certainly deserve pity/sympathy and, if not for them, for those that love/loved them. I'm still not sure why, but I'm okay with having unexplained emotions toward artistic experiences. I think that is what happens. It reaches deep inside you and before you know it, you're having a feeling that you don't understand, or know the origin of or are even very comfortable with. That's art for you....old, new, modern, classic, visual, musical, outsider, "untrained". Anyway, it's an art museum, and if you like art....go see it!

Visited October 2011

Orange, NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderfully refreshing Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

A must see if you are going to be in the area.... As an artist and a professor, wish I lived closer, would bring my students here to expose them to this wonderful array of outsider art. Staff/volunteers - all great, helpful, enthusiastic.

Visited November 2011
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Expensive, but Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

As a Baltimore local, I have never been to AVAM before. I first came here on a school field trip and I was flabbergasted. There were so many beautiful works of art, which I cannot describe all of them in this review That would be a spoiler. The adult price is $15.99 and for children it is $9.99, I believe. I have since been there once more about 3 wks. after my field trip. My favorite part was the moving kinetic sculptures in a seperate building. If you do want to go, you can tell it stands out from most other buildings. Happy traveling!

New Jersey
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“This is a must see attraction in Baltimore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

This museum is like none other that we have been too. We visited because my daughter saw Fifi in the visitor center at the Inner Harbor and thought it was interesting.

The museum is definitely interesting. Unique and fun.

We saw the "Rounds" exhibit and it was great. The vision of the artists making these works is wonderful.

Make sure you take the time to look at the Garden as well as the other two buildings.

There is a gift shop that is ecclectic (only word that fully describes it in my mind) and interestingly fun. We did not have time to eat at the restaurant but the menu looked good.

My hubby and I were hesitant to go but we were sure glad we took the time to go - fun, fun, fun!!!

Visited October 2011
PA
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Our All-time Favorite Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

If you like the unusual and have a sense of humor, this is the museum for you. We visit it everytime we go to Baltimore. It never disappoints.

Visited November 2011