“Disapointed”

American Visionary Art Museum
Ranked #5 of 231 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Be prepared for the unusual and imaginative at this museum housing works by non-mainstream artists, including the "whirligig", a 55-foot wind-powered sculpture, a 10-foot model of the Lusitania made entirely out of match sticks and a mobile that spans three floors.
Palm Bay, Florida
“Disapointed”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I went in the evening for one of the outdoor movies and even though it was free, I still felt disapointed I walked/ took the bus for about 20 minutes to get there. To make it worse, I was actually followed around by a creepy dude before I finally just left. Next time I want to see art work displayed like in the art museum I will just go to a Pre school or Elemantary school art show. I had heard great things about the musuem and was really disapointed myself, I hope other have a better experience!!

Blairstown
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Funny...best museum I've been to”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

There is a humor exhibit at this museum currently. It's the best exhibit I've been to. The whole museum is full of such nostalgic and unique things. We spent 4 hours here and could have stayed longer.

Madison, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

This museum is enchanting, hilarious, moving, and inspiring. The art pieces are treasures, but the accompanying stories of the artists make them memorable. Lovers of traditional art will appreciate the talent on display and non-art lovers will be astounded at the diversity of "art." You will be amazed!

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Best Museum Ever!”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This is the best Museum ever.

Every time, I am in Baltimore - I make a conscious effort to visit the AVAM -
The most wonderful thing - they have at this museum every year is the Kinetic Sculpture Race.

If you are in the area for that - be a spectator or volunteer! Absolutely amazing!!!

Visited September 2010
Troy, MI
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Very Very Interesting”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Not your father's museum. Unique, occasionally troubling, fascinating, colorful, thought-provoking.

Dragged my wife to this late in the day after a long day of traveling and inner harbor sightseeing. Walked there from the Science Museum.

Found something interesting before we even got inside - the decorated bus outside. Went to get tickets and were immediately distracted by the display of old-school steel lunch boxes - had fun pointing out the kids which ones I had growing up.

Lots of different media, three buildings worth of fun. The last building was setting up for a wedding. Some of it was beautiful, some amazingly intricate and mechanical, some humorous, some adolescent, but it was all worth seeing. Yes, after a long day, the bench covered with whoopie cushions made us laugh.

Negatives - no pictures. Some of the art may be questionable for younger kids.

Positives - you won't see anything like it. We had some great discussions with the kids as it prompted them to think about different stuff. Relatively inexpensive. Not crowded.

Visited July 2011