“Getting better--and a good bargain”

Baltimore Plaza Inner Harbor
Ranked #56 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Maryland
“Getting better--and a good bargain”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

In the past, this hotel has had mixed reviews. I think they must have done some major redecorating. At least our room seemed newly redone, with stylish fixtures in the bathroom, new wallpaper. and other improved amenities (TV, coffee maker, etc.). Quite a decent breakfast as well. Surely it's the best bargain in downtown Baltimore hotels.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ForestHansen
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Baltimore Plaza Inner Harbor, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
 Your complimentary review of our hotel, the Quality Inn Downtown Baltimore,is much appreciated! Hopefully, we'll have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Turkish first
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I have wanted to stay in downtown Baltimore for a long time after working here several months ago so i could try some downtown restaurants and see the city at night.

Last night the 17th, I checked in here as I am big on Choice Hotels. Now I won't kid you and tell you that everything was great, it was not. To most, my complaints would seem pretty minor but I felt like the personnel at the front desk mostly just didn't care and didn't take care of my needs. In the morning I complained and left feeling like I had been taken advantage of.

I did call back and asked for the General Manager, left her a message.

Well, I got a call back and she was actually concerned about my experience. Of course refunds were offered, extra points, etc. I am not that guy, what I wanted was simply for someone to understand that my time away from home was interrupted and not as enjoyable as it could have been and just make sure it doesn't happen again. Just acknowledge me. I believe that the GM actually did care and really wanted to make this a better place to stay.

So while not in the top ten, possibly yet, I do believe they mean it when they tell you they care about your stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Steve C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Upon entering the hotel, the front desk associate Raymond was engaged in a long conversation with what seemed to be his friend and not a guest of the hotel. I waited in line for about 15 minutes before he realized that I was getting impatient and wanted to check in. His attitude suggested that I disturbed him.

So when he finally started to check me in, I explained to him that this was very last minute stay and I forgot my wallet at my office in DC ( I work at the State Department). I had my government ID and I explained to him that I was going to pay for the room in full with cash. I've stayed at other hotels and I know about credit card holds, so I asked him would he require a hold on my credit card when he asked (this is an old card that I barely use). He said no so I gave it to him and the cash for the room. He checks me in but before giving me my keys, he explains to me that my credit card was declined and that he either needed additional cash or another card. I told him that I asked him before making the authorization did he need a hold and I reminded him of how he said no. We went back in forth for another 15 mins and I asked him how much additional for incidentals ( most limited service hotels only require about $50 so I was prepared to do that) and he said a whopping $100! So you want me to give you $200 for a flea bag hotel and there is no way to incur incidentals anyway??? ---hotel has no minibars, you don't have the option of putting parking on your room, can't order movies, and there is no room service.

I ended up walking right out and checking in at the Hampton Inn on Redwood. Not only was the manager on duty empathic to my situation, but he was very accomdating and within minutes I had my key and was ready to go and for that I have officially become a Hampton Inn fan. There were no homeless people walking around outside of the hotel. The staff was very attentive, available, and provided great service. Overall, I'm so mad I wasted my time and energy trying to stay at this FLEA BAG HOTEL. I will make it a point to let everyone that I know about this and hopefully they won't waste their hard earned money on such poor service. Baltimore is full of great hotels and this one just isn't it.

Before working in the government, I worked for Hyatt, Walt Disney World, and Ritz Carlton so I know hospitality inside out....no this hotel is not a 4 star hotel, but service is what sets you up to compete with other brands and it costs nothing!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Cape Cod
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The staff was courteous. The price was reasonable. The hotel was reasonably clean. We had a few bumps in the road. The closet in the room was small and had a broken hinge which made using it pointless. We had two phones in the room and neither worked. We reported this to the front desk and were told someone would fix the problem. No one came to fix the problem during our stay. The air conditioning would not cool below 73 degrees but most of our stay it was closer to 80 degrees in the room. We reported this to the front desk and maintenance did come and reset the thermostat. This did not fix the problem and there was no follow up by maintenance to see if the problem was resolved. The front desk staff was polite but upon our check out did not question whether we enjoyed our stay or not. The price was good but if I were to stay here again I would definitely insist that the basic room functions work appropriately without question. The website indicates that this was a brand new hotel in 2009 but it seemed more like a made over hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CapeCodRobert
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Baltimore Plaza Inner Harbor, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. While I’m thrilled to hear our staff was friendly, I regret that the hotel did not meet your expectations and are looking into these problems. We are in the process of evaluating opportunities for improvement and appreciate your input!
Reviewed July 9, 2011

When I first walked in and saw the out dated lobby, and somewhat dirty, I got a little discouraged. But the staff was exceptionally nice. And showed no frustration dealing with out of towners when we asked 'tourists' questions. After we got on the elevators everything went up from there (pun intended). The hall ways were nice and clean. The room was great. The door was a large, heavy, wooden door which made us feel very protected. Everything was very very clean. You could definitely notice that they put a lot of care and effort into making you have the best stay as possible.

I appriciate the very nice, safe, and clean stay.

Will be returning :)

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank 91csedg
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Baltimore Plaza Inner Harbor, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
 Your complimentary review of our hotel, the Quality Inn Downtown Baltimore, is much appreciated! Hopefully, we'll have the opportunity to host you again soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This hotel is a dump. The lobby, the stairway and the hallways are dirty and outdated. It needs more than just a coat of paint. The whole hotel smells musty. The rooms were small and were in better shape than the rest of the hotel, but still not worth the money. The location is not good either. You can walk to the inner harbor, which was it's selling point for my family, but my family did not feel safe there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jbirdU2
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Baltimore Plaza Inner Harbor, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.  We apologize that you did not find your accommodations comfortable. It appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I am truly sorry.”
usa
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Quality Inn Downtown is a great hotel in a very convenient location. We had the friends and family rate, which is always good, so I can't speak for what the normal rates would be. The rooms were very clean, but somewhat small. Beautiful bathrooms! Even the breakfast in the morning was pretty good. The only downside was the very rude night manager, who apparently has a reputation of being anything but hospitable. The front desk attendee who was working the morning after was the complete opposite of the night manager: cordial, polite, and very easy to talk to. Overall, it was an enjoyable stay. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sobewannabe
 We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the Quality Inn Downtown Baltimore. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced with the night manager and this issue is being addressed.
Please return often!