“Really really good sushi”

Aloha Sushi Restaurant
Ranked #708 of 2,047 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mount Vernon
Baltimore, Maryland
“Really really good sushi”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

I've become a regular at this place and l just have to eve about how great their sushi is. I've tried sushi at other good restaurants before but this is still one of the best. The ingredients are fresh and the rolls are presented beautifully. I have to urge my fellow readers to try this at least once and let me know what you think.

• Visited May 2014

Baltimore, Maryland
“Our server verbally attacked us”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

If you want be verbally attacked by your server, please dine here! Otherwise, take your business somewhere that has professional staff and decent service.

I have frequented Aloha 2-3 times a week since August 2012 and was always satisfied with my experience and recommended it to anyone who would listen. Since their renovations recently the quality of the experience has gone downhill significantly. It can take upwards of 30 minutes to get a glass of water despite repeated reminders. My order has been taken incorrectly several times, which means having to wait for my actual order after they bring me the wrong dish. They can have only three tables and two servers and still manage to be ‘overwhelmed’ which is likely due to their clumsy and inexperienced revolving door of servers that have appeared post-renovations.

However, today was the last straw. My best friend wanted sushi for her birthday, and despite our recent problems with Aloha we decided to give them one last shot. We ordered a couple of maki rolls and an order of 2 egg rolls for an appetizer. Our appetizer came with our check, which was thirty minutes AFTER we had our entrees. Our server was attentive in that he kept making excuses for why our appetizer had yet to appear. Our egg rolls came a total of 45 minutes after ordered them, when there were only two other tables occupied. Additionally, one of the servers ended up spilling water all over the table, and while she did apologize she had done the same thing to me the previous visit.

After I had finished filling in my receipt (I paid by card) and my friend paid with cash, the server snatched the receipt away. We had intended to give both tip by card (for me) and with cash (for her). Before we could put the cash on the table, the server came back and said “Is it the service, the food or are you both just bad tippers?” For the record, last week we also paid in cash and card and he was given a fair tip for our bill. Considering we hadn’t finished tipping him yet, I was appalled by the exchange that followed, in which he claimed we had no intention of tipping him and that we had no reasons to find fault with his performance, even though he acknowledged that our multiple recent visits had had complications each time (that he was responsible for). My financial choices are not his business and how I choose to give a tip should not matter. Our transaction wasn’t even finished and already I had offended him so greatly that it was considered okay to scream at me in the middle of a restaurant.

I will never again do business with this establishment, because while he was yelling at my friend and I, his coworkers pretended nothing happened and condoned his behavior. You work in the service industry, as my fiancé and dining companion do too. We are aware of how tips work so we know how to tip appropriately. I normally tip above 20% because I understand how little servers are paid, so I am deeply offended that my (incomplete) tip was handled in this manner. You don’t loudly instigate verbal attacks in the middle of a restaurant. I ended up having a panic attack as a result of his aggressive actions and am concerned that this kind of behavior is considered appropriate at Aloha Sushi.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Liz P
“OK karaoke bar for newbies.”
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

veteran karaoke stars steer clear. The song book stinks like poo. You can find some average songs to entertain the crowd but nothing to wow them. Didn't even have Baja Men "Who Let the Dogs Out"

Visited June 2013
“Yummy”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stopped here while visiting from out of state. Service is great. And the sushi is even better! We took a copy of their sushi menu home with us so we can ask out local sushi hangout to replicate some of their special rolls.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank L B
Maryland!
“Great sushi, location, service and prices”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I've been here twice with the family after shows at the lyric opera house. The sushi is fresh, fast, the service is friendly-- what more can you ask for? We do simple sushi, sashimi and tuna/salmon rolls, so you can say we're sushi purists, so I can't comment on the "special rolls". The japanese udon is amazing. Does the job!

• Visited September 2012