“pier 5 customer care”
Review of Pier 5 Hotel

Pier 5 Hotel
Ranked #32 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed November 12, 2006

we spent a weekend at this hotel. our VALET parked car was broken into. this fine hotel pushed us to the parking lot company for answers. the good part about this is paying $31.00 a day for valet parking and not knowing someone else has your car. our car was parked in a gated parking lot with 24 hour guards and after the $1700.00 break in occurred we received a letter stating that since this was a premediated act they were not responsible for anything. i will let as many people as i can know about this customer care policy.
thanks pier 5 hotel, baltimore inner harbor,
wfoster

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank onehappyguest
There are newer reviews for Pier 5 Hotel

Reviewed October 10, 2006

The location is great. Right next to the Aquarium and within a 4 minute walk to the shops and restaurants of the Inner Harbor. Also, a close walk to Little Italy where there are great restaurants. The decor of the hotel is okay... they try to be hip modern and it's not too bad. Room was fine. I would not recommend this hotel if you can find someplace else. Here's why: First, they tout their "complimentary" In-Hotel activities that you are charged $10 per night for. Someone ought to give them a dictionary and show them that the word "complimentary" means "costing nothing". You are charged a fee for phone and internet use even though you don't use the phone. Go figure.

We came back to our room one day around 4pm and noticed that we didn't have bath towels.... they said we had to wait until they came out of the laundry. You think maybe they'd have enough towels to have one handy when you want to take a shower. So, that took a while to get towels when we really wanted to shower. Little things like not replacing the empty tissue box. Also, a little thing like a mouse that scampered into the room on the last morning. (I think they charged us for it, too).

There is no gym or workout room. But we were told that the sister hotel several blocks away had a gym that we were welcome to use. I'm surprised they didn't send us to the Marriot to use the toilets there.

Possibly the worst part was every night of the weekend, there was a large party taking place in the lobby and side rooms. One was a wedding party, the next night it was some Hindu wedding with loud music and the next night it was a black fashion show..... complete with thumping, loud music until 11pm. On the day we left, we had to get a cab to the airport at 5:30am so we asked for a wake-up call that never came. Fortunately, we set our own alarm clock or else we probably would have missed our flight.

Had enough? I wouldn't necessarily say that your stay here would be horrible, but for the money, I'd rather have more towels and less mice. An excercise room would be a plus, too.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank gccc44
Reviewed August 19, 2006

We stayed one Sat night at this hotel as a anniv getaway to the Inner Harbor. The location is great - on the water right next to the Nat'l Aquarium within walking distance of most attractions, restaurants and shopping. The hotel is nice looking and clean. Our room on the 3rd floor was huge and had vaulted ceilings and a comfy bed. The bathroom was also large with a good shower and counter space. Our room rate included breakfast which was delicious. We booked the Nat'l Aquarium package and it was well worth it to received the special voucher that let us walk past the long lines to the member services entrance where we could go in without receiving an entrance timed ticket. There were a few minor things that were not so wonderful. The hotel allows pets and during the chocolate fourtain hour there was a dog jumping all over the lobby couches. Valets were no where to be seen when we arrived and we ended up parking the car ourselves. (Costs 21.00 for self parking) I also didn't like being charged the mandatory 10.00 "destination" fee that was only noted after I made the reservation. The charge was for internet, shuttle and phone calls that many hotels offer at no charge. Add'l we were in a "city view" room that actually faced the water but it also overlooked a roof with some nasty hotel equipment. Overall though we did enjoy our time at this hotel and do recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank trav16
Reviewed August 16, 2006

The location of Pier 5 is perfect for getting around the Inner Harbor area by foot. You are within walking distance of Fells Point, Little Italy, Power Plant Live, Federal Hill and of course the Aquarium.

My Fiancee and I had a room with a king size bed and a balcony overlooking the Harbor. The air conditioner in the room was extremely loud. So much so, we had to turn off the A/C to hear the TV without blaring the volume. Judging from the volume of TVs we could hear from adjoining rooms and in the hallway, we were not alone. The layout of the room was a little awkward with a chair blocking the entrance to the balcony. This chair had a large stain on the seat and we couldn't believe they wouldn't have had it cleaned or replaced. There is only one ice machine for three floors and it was not working. When I reported this to the front desk, I was told it had been broken for "a while" and they would send ice up to our room right away. A long fifteen minutes later, we had ice. The front desk were friendly during check-in, but after wards seemed not as friendly and gave us the impression we were bothering them.

Overall we were disappointed and will not be staying there again since it is definitely not worth the money.

6  Thank cmb_rocks
A TripAdvisor Member
Chadds Ford, PA
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My husband and I booked 2 nights at the Pier 5 hotel for a relaxing weekend in baltimore. We'd been to Baltimore before and wanted to stay someplace "different". Pier 5 tries to advertise/reinforce 2 concepts - you will feel the "magic" and if you want "the moon and stars, you just have to ask". Having said that...

After a very slow checkin, we got to our room (and the keys didn't work). Then they reprogramed our keys and the room we walked into was not ours (wrong beds, items for another guest there). 3rd try, got the correct room (bed). I had pre-requested 2 robes/2 pairs of slippers be in the room as they have this available. No slippers, only one robe which was not very plush. (Housekeeping actually took the robe away after the first day?). Requested bubble bath (none provided). So much for moon and stars.

Room was very spacious, bed was comfy. No dressers so we left our clothes draped over the chair, on the table. We realized right away that every button on the TV remote changed the channel up - really odd.

Warning: You will pay around 10$ per overnight stay for a destination fee which is basically free local phone use and wireless internet. Just a warning.

Chocolate fondue event in lobby was nice, yummy, but think people would have preferred chocolate/strawberries in their room upon checkin and would have cost hotel less $ to provide considering there was alot of food and very few people.

Location was really good, close to inner harbor, little italy, etc. We got really good service at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (attached) to the hoetl and our room service the next morning was delivered on time and very tasty from the peakcock cafe (really good coffee).

It's not a bad hotel by any means, but it's not as "exciting" or "magical" as advertised. If your looking for a hotel close to the harbor, that's alittle different, pet friendly, or a change of pace it's not bad. If we go back to Balitimore I'll probably try a different hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2006

This hotel came recommended to us by friends as a site for a weekend anniversary getaway and, after reading the other reviews and visiting their website, it did seem ideal. We were greated warmly and provided with our room two hours before the published check-in time. We were impressed with the fact that the hallway to our room was accessible only by the room key, limiting hallway foot traffic. The hotel location was wonderful. Short walks (15 - 20 minutes at a reasonable pace) to the Inner Harbor shops and restaurants and to the Power Plant Live entertainment complex. The complimentary shuttle between the Pier 5 and the Admiral Fell Inn was also appreciated. The rooms were large and nicely furnished and the bed was quite comfortable, although the wallpaper in our bathroom was peeling and in need of scrubbing. Be advised that the pictures of the hotel exterior suggests that there are small terraces off some of the rooms; we had one such room and realized it was not a small terrace but simply a decorative iron rail to keep one from falling out when opening the patio door. It was nice, though, to open the door and hear the sights and sounds of the harbor while we were in the room.

All of the good, unfortunately, was overshadowed by the problems we experienced. The website advertised a promotional offer for a $20 gas card but, upon inquiring at the hotel, we were told that that offer had expired before we even made our reservation. We had also signed up for free membership in the Harbor Magic Club, advertised on their web site, prior to reserving our room. The membership entitles us to a $50 voucher to be used for a future visit. It has been six weeks since our stay and I have not yet received this voucher; I sent email a few days ago but have not yet had a response. These two perks, valued at $70, were a contributing factor in our decision to stay at the Pier 5 rather than the Renaissance, where we have stayed in the past and highly recommend. Most frustrating, though, was an experience similar to that experienced by the writer who stayed here the weekend of the Miss USA pageant. NOISE!!! A bat mitzvah was being held in a banquet facility located off the lobby and, as the other writer noted, the event spilled over into the lobby. The doors to the banquet facility were left open and we could hear not only the music but also the shrieks and squeals of teenagers as if they were right outside our door - which, truth be told, they almost were since the hallway outside our room looked directly into the lobby. This was certainly not an environment conducive to an anniversary getaway. The event ended shortly after midnight - about two hours later than one would think reasonable given the inadequate accommodations for such an event. I did receive an apology when I inquired at the desk as to the scheduled end of the event, although it was given in such a way that I am quite certain I was not the only guest to receive one that evening. I did not, though, receive what I feel would have been a more appropriate 'Harbor Magic' gesture, though - like complimentary drink vouchers we could have used when we left and waited it out at a nearby bar.

I received an emailed survey after our visit, inquiring as to the satisfaction of our stay. I responded with a similar level of detail to that which I post here but, again, no response at all. I would be happy to give the Pier 5 another chance (although not for an anniversary getaway) - if, that is, I receive the expected $20 gas card and $50 future visit voucher. Otherwise, we will be taking our business back to the Renaissance.

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank sbtold1
A TripAdvisor Member
Conowingo, MD
Reviewed June 28, 2006

I stayed in Rm 208 of Pier 5 on the 24th of June. I walked in to a beautiful three story atrium- which was leaking into a trash can surrounded by mop buckets. I was a little early for check in so I left my baggage with the desk who said they would call when the room was ready, which they did 48 minutes past check in time. I had to use the restroom before I went up to my room, so I went to the one in the lobby. It was the most beautiful and stylish restroom I have ever seen, except for the overflowing trash bin and the paper towels and toilet paper scattered around the floor. I went upstairs to my room where the atrium has beautiful sail like awnings hanging from the ceiling- which were covered by dust and trash when viewed from above.I went into my room which had a beautiful armoir which hides the tv and fridge.I tried to close the doors to find one completly broken off its' hinges the other stuck in place and the lower two mismatched by over an inch, hanging out of alignment. I opened the lower two to find a handy fridge- with the freezer completly frozen over with ice. I walked over to the bathroom to put on some lovely coffee that was provided only to have the broken coffee basket fall into the sink. I sat down at the lovely desk only to notice the veneer had been ripped off the legs and replaced with duct tape- nice.There were beautiful black laquered beds, which were missing huge chunks of the veneer at each corner. There were stylish mirrored light switches on the headboards- which showed every fingerprint of the previous guests and turned on in the oppisite directions. I would have filled out the handy comments card which three were provided, but no pen was provided and when I asked for one at the front desk I was told they didn't have one. This place was probably beautiful when it was built, but now it is shabby and not worth half of what you will pay for crappy service and a well worn room.

Stayed: June 2006