“Not a Great Place”

Pier 5 Hotel
Ranked #32 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Philadelpha, PA
Reviewed February 4, 2006

We stayed here one weekend and the hotel was overall ok, nothing special. When we arrived, there was one valet outside and the wait was 20 min. We ended up carrying everything upstairs by ourselves and parking our own car. There was one woman at the front desk and the wait was ~15 min just to check in. The room was decent and included a balcony that overlooked the harbor. The room was supposedly "harbor view" but on one side there was a roof occluding half of the view of the harbor and right next door were people's rooms that you could see right in to! This was not very private to say the least! We had one incident of someone walking right into our room with us in it! The heat was great and the bed was very comfortable. The tv/movies were a rip off and should not be advertised as "on demand" if you have to pay $12 just to see a movie. The hotel overcharged me and am still in the process of working this out. One perk of the hotel is the location is excellent - close to everything! All in all, I do not think I would stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Pier 5 Hotel

Reviewed September 27, 2005

Pier 5 was a nice boutique hotel, decor was very contemporay,nice, but not my cup of tea. I was in room 335. the king bed was very very comfy. Very large room, very large bathroom. Not enough towels, and the tub drained ever so slow, i was up to my ankles in water while taking a shower. Every thing was clean. One thing the room needed was a dresser, there was no place to lay your clothes out so i had to use the chair and keep my incidentals in my suitcase. They did have a closet but i think it had 3 hangers. Check-in time is 4, but my husband and I arrived at 12:30 because I knew they would keep our luggage til check-in while we went around the inner harbor to explore. We arrived by taxi from the airport. But surprize our room was all set and they let us check-in. Staff and front desk were very pleasant and always said good morning on your way by the desk. They took the internet fee of $5.00 per day off the bill when asked. Just ask in a nice way, being rude doesn't get you any where. We stayed for 3 nights and had the contenatial breakfast each morning, it was more than enough food and very good. A very large bagel, a muffin and a lot of fresh fruit. There was slices of banana, strawberry, grapes, melon and raspberries, more than enough, plus butter, cream cheese and jelly. Oh, plenty of juice and coffee too. The hotels restaurant is the peacock cafe, we didn't eat any other meals there. They have function rooms and there were 5 wedding receptions there on our 3 night stay. You can't hear the music in your room. The AC worked great, we like a very cool room to sleep, I think it was about 55 or 60 degrees. There are 2 restaurants at the hotel, but are not part of the hotel, both very expensive. One was Ruth Chris steakhouse, a filet migeon will be 35.00, T-bone $38.00 and potatoe is 5.95 and veggie is 5.95, yes, salad is extra too. Dessert will run at 8 bucks and a martini is $9.50. It was packed all 3 nights of our stay. The other eatery is McCormick and Shmicks, very busy place big on seafood there and also very very expensive. The hotel itself is tucked off right on a pier and it's quiet. Would we stay here again? probably, if I'm ever in Baltimore again.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank DebnJayGoSox
Reviewed September 24, 2005

The Pier 5 is at a great location for Inner Harbor activities.
I got a great deal via Priceline, but Priceline rates it as a 4 star, which doesn't seem right. A nice hotel, friendly staff, clean, large rooms, and comfortable beds.

The mandatory fee for phone and internet seems unreasonable if you don't use either, especially the internet, but maybe the hotel just needs better marketing. Charging a fee for for the room phone is like charging for the cable on the TV. I saw the reaction form many guests, it doesn't make sense to put guests on the defensice when they check-in.

I would stay there again if I were enjoying the Inner Harbor or going to a ball game.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank moretosee
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed September 17, 2005

We spent 2 nights of a mini-vacation at Pier 5 in August. We were trying to save money and bid on a room for 4 people with Priceline. We were incredibly happy with what we got!
The location was very convenient - you could walk to everywhere in the Inner Harbor. Coming back at night to this beautiful hotel on the water just made our mini-vacation.
We were treated no differently than those who paid rack rate. We paid $75 per night (not including taxes, parking or Priceline fees) for a very lovely, very quiet room on the 3rd floor. There were 2 queen beds so the four of us shared.
Our kids are 14 and 5 and they enjoyed attention from the very helpful desk staff, and they LOVED the over-the-top decor of the entire hotel.
Overall I would say if you can get the wonderful rate we got, you will be extremely happy. A couple of little housekeeping issues (not enough pillows, not enough towels replaced by housekeeping, and a slight musty smell in the corrider) might bother you if you had to pay full rack rate.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 29, 2005

My husband and I decided to getaway mid week to go to Baltimore and see a concert at Rams Head Live in mid-July. We splurged and stayed at the Pier 5 Hotel. The hotel is absolutly gorgeous! The staff were extremely friendly. The room was AMAZING! It was so very modern, the color sceme in our room was gold and purple, and even the bathroom was gorgeous -much different than your typical hotel bathroom. The bed was very, very comfortable as were the couch and chair. I wanted to take the chair home with us! Avoid eating at the hotel's cafe. The breakfast there was awful. Don't bother purchasing a package deal either with the hotel. It's not worth the extra money and I found the breakfast coupons to be a total waste of money since no food was really offered with them. If you want to splurge stay here. We probably won't stay there again because it was very expensive for our means, but worth the night we spent.

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank April c
Reviewed August 15, 2005

We stayed here July 17th for a show to see Richard Marx. The check in was "supposed" to be at 4:30... When we arrived though, we got there early. We walked around for a while, got something to eat and returned. Went back up to the counter at 4:30 and the room was STILL not ready... I don't think it was ready till close to 5PM! Could have even been a few minutes after...

So... we get into our room, the little balcony that we did have (which was about a foot maybe). Cigarettes butts all over the balcony. The view was of the Harbor side, but there was the roof from the floor below which kind of obstructed what would have been a nice view. The air conditioner didn't work to save our lives. I guess because it was above 80 degrees and the compressor had to work too hard, so the room was quite warm, while the lobby was freezing cold.

On the other hand though, the people at the front desk were very personable and courteous. Check-in process was fast, once the room was available.

The other downfall is considering the price for the room for one night, the parking should be free... this is not the case. The parking was $25.00 I believe...

Not sure I would stay here again. Maybe not that particular room, and surely not in the summer...

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank IrishRed75
Linwood, NJ
Reviewed August 5, 2005

My family and I went to Baltimore for an overnight stay, and we invited friends to join us. I had stayed at the Pier V a few years prior and I was anxious to return.

On the plus side, the location is awesome and the 2nd floor rooms provide an excellent view of the harbor (unless of course you book a city view). There is a nightclub (not open when we were there but perhaps that is because it was a Sunday night), a nice restaurant (McCormick and Schmick's), and a coffee/liquor bar which served breakfast.

Unfortunately, I had to send a letter to the hotel management. The balconies were dirty when we checked in (cigarette butts all over the ground and an empty pepsi bottle sitting on the table), my friend's room did not have a lock on the sliding glass door and our sliding glass door lock was broken. Our toilet seat was broken as well and when we ran out of toilet paper (after 2 hours????????) there were no refills in the bathroom. My friend found a wet towel mat wrapped around a wet box of soap under her TV and conspicuous hairs in the shower stalls. EWWW!

I was hoping to impress my friends, but I think they were very unimpressed, to say the least!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member