“Wedding Reception at Pier 5!”
Review of Pier 5 Hotel

Pier 5 Hotel
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wedding Reception at Pier 5!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband (Jack) and I held our wedding reception for 150 people on September 14, 2013. We had a destination wedding in July; therefore, our event at Pier 5 was solely a wedding reception.

Our wedding coordinator at Pier 5 was Chris Sikora. As we speak, my husband is writing a letter to Pier 5 on his behalf. He was spectacular.

I have to say Jack and I were very pleased with our event. We had numerous guests stay at the hotel that evening and they all seemed to have an enjoyable stay and were happy with their room. Pier 5 has a very nice breakfast (for a charge - except for bride/groom) in the morning. Fresh pastries, fruit, etc. As part of our package, my husband and I had a suite to get ready in during the day, followed by an extremely nice room for that evening with three balconies which had incredible views of the harbor. The rooms were very nice and clean. Absolutely no complaints.

Our event was held in the Harbor West Ballroom. It's very nice and the reason we chose that ballroom was because of the enormous deck outside that's on the water. That is actually what made us book the venue. There is another room upstairs that is gorgeous and boats gorgeous views of the city; however, it is smaller and wouldn't fit all of our guests (including the food stations). We essentially had three venues: The atrium (where guests walk into from the parking lot), the ballroom and the deck. It was perfect.

The atrium hosted our cocktail hour where we had a sushi display, passed hors d'oeuvres, an open bar, a signature cocktail and passed champagne. The signature cocktail was awesome. It was a delicious teal martini and guests LOVED them!!

Our ballroom hosted the majority of the seating, our dance floor, open bar, and deejay. We also had up-lighting which was a really neat touch and created a beautiful ambience.

The deck hosted another open bar (had a total of three bars), large tables and tall tables. Each venue had its own style. It was really neat.

We decided on doing our own centerpieces. That was a lot of work but in the end it was WAY cheaper and gorgeous. Pier 5 is very willing to help in putting centerpieces together or provide you with anything you need to get them together.

When we were introduced as husband/wife, we came on the water side by the deck. Our parents/siblings were in the entrance of McCormick & Schmick's outside and Jack and I hid behind the corner. So when we were all introduced, guests were on the deck and we walked up the sidewalk along the water. It was a GREAT way to be introduced and so pretty! Guests really loved it and it made for awesome pictures as well.

For dinner, we decided on various food stations. We didn't want a sit-down dinner where everyone eats the same thing. We had four food stations: seafood, pasta, mexican and tenderloin/ham. The food was really good. We heard numerous rave reviews about how good the food was. Guests also said that they loved the variety. If I had to complain about something, the venue continued to run out of plates. It was really bizarre. Guests were waiting for plates which was super annoying. We all know something is going to go wrong at a reception and that was really the only issue.

We also had a French fry bar that was put out around 9:30 or so. Boy was that a welcomed treat for our guests who had been dancing, as well as for guests who wanted a little something more after their dinner had digested. We did regular and sweet potato fries with numerous aioli's. GREAT idea and an awesome touch!

Our cake was spectacular. We decided to go with the cake that was included in our package and we are so glad that we did. We are huge lovers of buttercream and it was honestly the best tasting cake. Jack and I said "no way" to keeping the top layer until our anniversary! We ate it the next day! It was that good!

I wanted to customize and gear the reception toward the bride and groom as much as I could. So in addition to the wedding cake, Jack and I chose our favorite treats. He loves Snickers, Reese's cups and Twix and I love snicker doodles. I found two large candy jars and filled them with Jack's fave treats and a pretty cookie jar and filled it with the cookies. On a cocktail table, the treats were displayed and in front of each jar read "Groom's Favorite Treats," "Bride's Favorite Treats." It was an incredibly neat touch and the cookies were eaten within the first hour! Guests also had treat bags that they could put candy/cookies in if they chose to take some home (there were no cookies left to take home).

In the ballroom, we had a picture table that showed everything from our destination wedding. It had a collage of pictures on decorative glittery teal/purple (colors of our reception) paper that basically told the story of our wedding week in Turks & Caicos. We also had our vase from our sand ceremony, my bouquet (I had synthetic flowers which were exquisite) and everything else that showcased our island wedding. It was another really neat touch and guests loved it.

I wore my wedding gown (that I wore at my wedding) and Jack wore a tux. He wore khakis and a white shirt at our beach wedding but our reception was a more formal affair so a tux was more appropriate. Guests were extremely happy that I wore my gown and Jack looked incredibly handsome in a tux. It was perfect.

The staff at Pier 5 was super friendly. The girls setting up that day were incredibly nice and I felt very comfortable with them. They were working very hard and they did exactly what we had asked for in our package.

My mom and I went to Pier 5 numerous times prior to our event to discuss centerpieces, number of tables, etc. Each and every time, Chris was present, took his time with us and the staff at the concierge desk were always very friendly. We all felt like good friends come the day of our event.

In the beginning of the night, we showcased our wedding video to all of our guests. They couldn't say enough about it. It was a 10-minute clip (basically a synopsis of our beach wedding) and Chris did a wonderful job at setting it up for us (we used a large projection screen).

Chris Sikora was our wedding coordinator and he was fabulous. It was the little things he did that we were so grateful for. Not only would Chris respond to every email but he would also follow up with a phone call. That was huge for us. While he has numerous weddings to plan at one time, we always felt like ours was the only one. Kindness: Chris was an extremely kind and calm gentleman. We brides can get stressed and short-fused, but Chris keeps his cool and LISTENS to what is important to the bride and groom. He gave his opinions and expertise when elicited and sat back when the bride wanted to make decisions. Chris was open to new ideas and embraced them. On the day of our event there was a LOT going on in the ballroom and there were several weddings taking place throughout the hotel that evening. To say it was hectic is an understatement. Chris was being pulled in a million different directions. I was one of the people pulling him and he remained sweet, calm and respectful (I know it wasn't easy for him at certain times). Even if Chris was going crazy in his mind, he never showed it, which in turn actually calmed me down. We can't say enough about Chris. You are lucky to get him as your wedding coordinator.

Pier 5 enjoys customizing your event the way you want it. They like new and fun ideas, especially with food. Feel free to share any and all ideas you have.

Our event was spectacular. We actually received numerous HAND WRITTEN notes from guests talking about how nice and fun our event was.

I didn't think anything could top our island wedding but our event at Pier 5 came pretty close!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Business_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Pier 5 Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Brandy R, we want to thank you for choosing our property for your wedding reception and we'd also like to thank you for leaving a phenomenal review. We couldn't be happier to hear that everyone had a spectacular time.

From reading over your review, we saw you mentioned how wonderful numerous members of our team were. We are extremely fortunate to have such amazing people working with us. They truly go above and beyond to ensure that everything is always perfect for our patrons. We'll make sure to let Chris and everyone else know that they did a fabulous job.

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. We truly appreciate when guests take the time out of their day to write a fantastic review. We hope you realize how much it means and know that this kind gesture doesn't go unnoticed.

If we can ever do anything to accommodate you in a future visit to our hotel, please don't hesitate to contact us. We're here for you!

Thank you, and we can't wait to see you back soon! Maybe next time for an anniversary celebration!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Millsboro, Delaware
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed for two nights in November. Extremely good service from ALL staff whether Front Desk or room keeping. Clean and well kept. Rooms were a little dark for my liking but very nice. Definitely made for a great get-a-way!

Room Tip: Overlooking the harbor front with balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
The_Business_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Pier 5 Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
KenOk, thank you for writing a fabulous review and we'd also like to thank you for staying with us during your time in Baltimore. We are very glad to hear that your two night stay at our property was beyond exceptional.

You left a great room tip in your review! Our Harbor facing rooms definitely have a spectacular view. We'll make sure to let our staff know that they did a superb job delivering high quality service. We've got a great team of people working with us and we consider ourselves very fortunate to have them!

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. We truly appreciate when patrons take the time out of their day to leave a fantastic review. We hope you realize how much it means and know that this kind gesture doesn't go unnoticed.

If we can ever do anything to accommodate you in a future visit to our location, please don't hesitate to contact us. We're here for you!

Thank you, and we hope you'll visit us again soon!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed here for four nights while in Baltimore for business. The staff was amazing! At no time did they fail to make us feel welcome and special. We arrived early and our rooms weren't quite ready. They took our bags to hold, gave a great recommendation for a lunch spot and even called when the rooms were ready (30 minutes later at the most).

The suite we were in was unique and since I was traveling with a coworker the separated rooms were perfect for sleeping but still allowed us to spend time together without being uncomfortable. The rooms were clean and housekeeping did a great job sneaking in when we weren't in our rooms despite the fact that we had unpredictable schedules.

There were some details in the rooms that could have been better but I didn't expect perfection with this stay. The perfection was all about the service.

I can't say enough about Kevin. Not that everyone else didn't do a good job, because they did but he went above and beyond with a fabulous attitude. Smiling, friendly and fun to talk with. He cheerfully found us an item we requested not just once or twice, but a few times. I am sure that if we had any problems or concerns during our stay the staff would have taken care of it with a smile.

If upper management here monitors these reviews, Kevin and his staff are your biggest assets. They are clearly inspired to make your guests feel welcome. Thank you for such an amazing experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
The_Business_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Pier 5 Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Liz J, we want to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in Baltimore and we'd also like to thank you for leaving a nice review. We are very glad to hear that you and your coworker had a lovely stay at our hotel.

One of the very bright spots of our property is our amazing staff. We truly believe that they really do care about our guests. They always go above and beyond to make sure everything is always as perfect as possible. We definitely plan to let Kevin and the others know what a fabulous job they did. We know first impressions are very important and we're happy that they helped create a magnificent one.

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. We truly appreciate when patrons take the time out of their day to write a kind review. We hope you realize how much it means and know that this kind gesture doesn't go unnoticed.

If we can ever do anything to accommodate you in a future trip, whether for business or pleasure, please don't hesitate to contact us. We're here for you!

Thank you, and we hope to see you back at The Pier 5 soon!
Glenmoore
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Pier 5 was a lovely hotel! The staff was friendly. The room was clean however there was a socket in the bathroom that was malfunctioning. This sounds silly but the towels were very rough. Considering we just slept there it was a nice place. The free bottle of wine was a nice touch, since it was our anniversary!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Business_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Pier 5 Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Glenmoorelove, thank you for writing a great review, and we'd also like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your Anniversary. We're delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience while staying at our hotel.

From reading over your review, we saw you mentioned you absolutely loved your room except for the fact that one of the bathroom electrical sockets seemed to be malfunctioning. We have passed this information along to our engineering department so they can investigate and determine what the issue is.

Guest comfort is of the utmost importance to us. We relayed your comments about our towels feeling rough to our housekeeping team. We'll see what can be done about this. We're delighted to hear you appreciated the free bottle of wine that we gave to you. We understand that it's the small things that can really make a great experience even more memorable.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. It truly means a lot when guests take the time out of their day to write a nice review. We hope you realize how much we appreciate it and know that this kind gesture doesn't go unnoticed.

If we can ever do anything to accommodate you in a future visit to our property, please don't hesitate to contact us. We're here for you!

Thank you, and we hope to see you both back soon!
Howell, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed at this hotel 11/13 for one night for my boyfriend's birthday. I purchased a groupon and got a pretty good deal. Kevin checked us in and he was phenomenal!!! Very upbeat, friendly and he informed us that we were upgraded to the tradewinds suite. The room was absolutely gorgeous! It was the size of 3 rooms... I was super impressed. Then they had crabby hour downstairs where they give you wine and food ... Which was a very nice touch. I absolutely loved the hotel, loved Kevin at the front desk and the location was perfect! We will be back again!!!!! Thank you so much for everything!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lacey A, we want to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your boyfriend's birthday, and we'd also like to thank you for leaving a phenomenal review. We are thrilled to hear that both you and your boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed staying at our property.

Our Tradewinds Suite is one of our favorites! We agree that its large size is definitely impressive. We're glad that you loved our Crabby Hour. We know patrons enjoy the event and get a kick out of our demonstration. What guests don't realize is that we're having just as much fun conducting the event as you probably have watching it!

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. It really means a lot when patrons take the time out of their day to write a spectacular review. We hope you realize how much it means and know that this kind gesture doesn't go unnoticed.

Thank you, and we can't wait till your next visit!
Hellertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed here for work, yes it is expensive, but I would stay again for a romantic get-a-way because you are right in the heart of Baltimore, lots to do, walk everywhere. The staff was so nice and helpful and the room was clean with a great view. Would def come back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
chefsuzyq08, thank you for writing a great review and, we'd also like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in Baltimore. We couldn't be happier to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel.

Our location is definitely perfect for romantic get-aways. The beautiful views of the harbor and bountiful attractions make for a definite fun-filled trip. From reading over your review, we saw you mentioned how spectacular our staff was. We're lucky to have such wonderful people working with us. We'll certainly let them know of all the kind things you had to say.

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. It really means a lot when patrons take the time out of their day to leave a nice review. We hope you realize how much it means and know that this kind gesture doesn't go unnoticed.

If we can ever do anything to accommodate you in a future stay at our hotel, please don't hesitate to contact us. We're here for you!

Thank you, and we can't wait to see you back soon!
New Jersey
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was there for a wedding last March and was able to get the wedding discount but even with that, my stay still cost me a pretty penny (even with 5 people squeezed in a room). I guess it is true when they say, "location, location, location". The hotel IS in a great location, next to the aquarium and across the street from the power plant and within walking distance of everything else, but you do pay for it.

The service we received was great. I was put in charge of taking care of that end and I was very impressed on how accommodating they were especially for that crazy weekend. Even though, we were given a king size bed instead of 2 queens as promised, they were helpful in giving us two cots and lots of pillows and blankets.

My complaints about the hotel is bring yourself a cooler because our room (and all that $$$ you spend) had NO REFRIGERATOR. We had no place to store our perishable snacks. Another crack had to do with their excellent location. With only so much space there, a fitness/pool center is not available. They do offer you a free pass to a gym within walking distance but if you have kids, I am sure it can be quite a hassle. The gym is great (i took a few classes there) and I recommend everyone going there since you do technically pay for it.

I did enjoy my few nights stay and I would stay there again but not by my own choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
The_Business_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Pier 5 Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
trvlgirl1217, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we'd also like to thank you for leaving a nice review. We're glad to hear that you loved our location and felt that the service that you received was great.

We're constantly told by numerous people how prime our location is. Being so close to the aquarium and all the other wonderful things Inner Harbor has to offer is definitely a huge attraction to our property.

From reading over your review, we saw you mentioned how amazing our staff was. We're very fortunate to have such thoughtful people working with us. They always try to ensure that everything is perfect for our guests. We'll definitely let them know of all the kind things you had to say.

We have forwarded your comments about the lack of a refrigerator onto our management team. We want to apologize for this inconvenience.

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. We truly appreciate it when patrons take the time out of their day to write a kind review. We hope you realize how much it means and know that this kind gesture doesn't go unnoticed.

Thank you, and we look forward to your next visit!