“Very nice and relaxing”

Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very nice and relaxing”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here from December 21st to December 24th of 2013.

Check-in was a bit scary. At first the person at the front desk said they couldn't find our reservation that we made months before. But when she tried again, she found it, scaring us both.

I'll describe things one by one.

The room: We stayed in room 1128, King bed room, it was bigger than I thought it would be. The bed was made and very clean, the floor was spotless, the view was amazing. The bathroom was clean as well, but I wish the tub was bigger than what it was. The bathroom had a beautiful marble counter (picture provided) and giant mirror that was spotless. Also, the counter and around the tub had some room for some candles for romantic nights (just be careful not to burn yourself or the hotel down). Every day when we left to explore downtown the maid would make the bed, restock the soaps and things in the bathroom and straighten up a bit. When we came back the room was spotless. The TV's resolution was surprisingly low, there were little none HD channels, all the others looked like they were stretched from a tiny screen to fit the big screen. Magnificent view of the Emerson Bromo-Seltzer Tower, it was wonderful to see it light up at night, too bad it doesn't tell time anymore. Also, there are sliding blinds to cover the window, but even if you shut both blinds, there's always a long crack of sunlight in the morning. The digital clock was cool, but the top was broken so you would have trouble selecting anything from the top of it.

About the rooms: Small thing worth noting is the room with the harbor view is a waste, you barely see any water (if you're lucky). Just save the money and choose a standard room, just ask for a high floor.

The staff: The maids never knocked on our door at any point of our visit, never bothered once. They only came in when we took off the "Do not disturb" sign off the door. The staff at the front desk were friendly enough, they were happy we were there. The only problem we had with staff was the rude woman running the gift shop. She ignored us completely and just talked away on her cell phone while we browsed. We asked her for help because we needed a lighter or matches to light some candles, she acted as if we were not welcome. Other than her, the whole staff was nice to us, the bartender was pretty funny.

Inside the hotel: The lobby was beautiful, brightly colored and looks welcoming. Every morning we saw people using their laptops and devices to connect to the internet. The whole color scheme of the hotel was nice, but it was hard to find things. We didn't see the small sign on the wall saying there were ice machines on every floor, we actually had to ask the front desk, but they were friendly about it. There were snack machines, but they were overpriced. I'm not paying 2$ for a can of soda, or 2$ for candy. The only machine on our floor was for soda, which didn't work whether you put cash or credit card in it. There were more machines downstairs, but how would anyone know they are BEHIND THE FRONT DESK. That's right, you have to go behind the front desk to get to the machines for snacks and soda. The soda machine didn't work there either and took some money from us, which the front desk didn't give back. We ended up going to the bar just for some soda, thank goodness the glass the bartender gave me was bigger than the can I would have gotten from the machine. Make sure if you want to drink your own water or soda, bring your own and fill the metal ice bucket with ice and put it on that, you wont find anything nearby with cheaper drinks (maybe at CVS or Royal Farms nearby). There is an indoor heated pool that's open late. But it's narrow, a lap pool. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't swim, it's long so a lot of people can swim in it at once. There is a hot tub next to the pool which was WAY too hot to get in.

The Hotel itself: We were annoyed that there is only a select few ways to get into the hotel. There is a side door entrance right next to the light rail station that's locked for no reason. It was freezing the whole time we were there so we had to run around the outside of the hotel to find an entrance. One night a homeless man asked us right at the front door for money, he seemed nice enough, just thought a hotel wouldn't allow anyone to be near the entrance unless your staff or a guest.

Just a small note: If you need produce or anything that 711 or Royal Farms doesn't have, you'll have to walk 1.3 miles to Whole Foods on Fleet Street. It's very pricey but it has what you need. I noticed they didn't have many name brand food there like Doritos or Lays, just their own brand, just keep that in mind.

The breakfast: When we booked the room we got free breakfast every morning. We honestly couldn't find the restaurant anywhere so we had to ask the front desk. Every morning we went to the second floor, walked across the small bridge, and down the escalator to eat our breakfast. We signed up for the continental breakfast, it's even checked off on the back of the meal voucher, but the staff, upon handing them the voucher, told us where the buffet is. We didn't complain, we got to choose our breakfast instead of a smaller selection. The buffet is originally around 20$ a person, a waiter accidentally handed us a bill, but it was straightened out. The food selection for the buffet was ok, but it wasn't as much as one would think when they hear the word "buffet". Good selection of healthy things like fruits, yogurt, bagels, and cereal. The spoons and bowls were HUGE, I could barely fit the spoon in my mouth. The bowls were oddly shaped (picture provided) so be careful not to spill your cereal all over the table. There is a nozzle that releases milk, it ran out by the time I got to it one morning, so when they ask you what you want to drink, ask them for a extra glass with your milk in it. The waiters were nice, always made sure we were happy. The restaurant had a very nice view of the side of the stadium, beautiful in the morning (picture provided).

The prices of various things: I mentioned before that snacks and soda's were 2$ a piece, depending on if you get it as a can or bottle. We got a single pack of gummy bears and it cost us 2$ (i think it might have been more). The bar will serve you soda, but it's by the glass for 2$ a glass. We didn't bother looking at the menu in the room for room service, everything is overpriced, plus the fee of someone bringing it to you. If you wanted the buffet in the morning it would be around 20$ per person, plus a tip for the waiter who brings you drinks (since you can't get them yourself). We got dropped off at the hotel so we didn't deal with valet parking or parking at all thank goodness. The gift shop is a joke, the prices are through the roof for everything. Around 2$ each for a tiny metal key (tiny as in a little smaller than your pinky) is too much. Since we booked early, we saved some money when it came time to pay the bill. I don't recommend paying for wifi, it's way overpriced, and if your a couple then you wouldn't need it anyway, just go to the lobby. The price for the room per day was around 100$ (not including tax) so that wasn't so bad for what we got.

Checkout: Checkout was a bit of a pain. The paper (they slipped it under the door in the morning) gave all the info on how much we paid had a part that gave us a number to call to checkout. The number didn't work (we tried multiple times) so we went to the front desk and successfuly checked out.

In short:
The room was big, clean, and had a beautiful view, but the tub was a bit small.
The staff was very nice and welcoming, except the gift shop girl.
The breakfast was nice but limited choices.
The hotel itself was very pretty and brightly colored, beautiful.
The price wasn't so bad, I don't recommend paying for wifi, it's overpriced.
There are a limited number of entrances to the hotel, so when it's cold its inconvenient.

Overall, we had a wonderful few days here, we might stay here later this year if we can't find anywhere closer to the water.

This is my first review on any website for reviewing a hotel, I wanted to be descriptive with everything so people know what they are paying for. How did I do?

Room Tip: When you book your room, under "special requests" make sure to put you want a high room if...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zack J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Korean first
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here from Sunday to Wednesday so we could spent time in the Harbor and go see a Red Sox Game. The Room was spotless and the cleaning lady did a wonderful job that we left her a very large tip at the end of our stay. I could have never been happier. One thing we did ask for was a room on a high level facing the ballpark. What I got was indescribable: a room that looked right onto the field. We did go see a game in person but mainly we watched the games from our room because we had such a perfect view. All we had to was turn on the tv so we could hear what was happening. All of the other amenities were fabulous as well. The pool was on the small side but still nice and clean. If when booking you see a breakfast package, get it. Breakfast without that package deal is $16 a person for the buffet. The breakfast package is worth it. The food was exceptional and the french toast was to die for.

Room Tip: Ask for a High Level when booking on the ballpark side. If the level is too low you will not be able...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Linda W, General Manager at Hilton Baltimore, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our breathtaking views of Camden Yards home of the Baltimore Orioles. We hope to see you again when next in Charm City.

Regards.
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

First off I expect nice from a Hilton brand. I think the being connected to the convention center helps out a lot. The staff does a real nice job. I especially mention Bryon in housekeeping who went out of his way to help me after airline lost my luggage. He was especially kind and has etched his name in the hall of fame for service at Hilton.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate your honest review of our hotel. It is always wonderful to hear praise about our fantastic staff.I would like to apologize for any issues experienced during your recent stay. We hope next time you are in Baltimore you will give us another opportunity to take care of you.

Kindest Regards,
Clarkston, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I used my Honors points for a Marina facing room, did not get it. The bathroom had peeling paint and peeling wallpaper, moldy grout on the floor, the water pressure was poor with constant changing temps to the level of discomfort. Had to wait in line to check in and had to walk into the hotel and ask for someone to help with the bags while the two bellhops goofed off at the door.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Linda W, General Manager at Hilton Baltimore, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you expect from Hilton during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Best Regards.
Yardley, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Great spot for a family weekend; You can walk to all Baltimore Inner Harbor activities. Looking out your window at the Camden Yards ballfield is a bonus! Very easy to get to from I-95. Don't miss the railroad museum!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent Hilton Baltimore experience with us. We appreciate having the opportunity to introduce you to our city, and to share in the richly diverse culture and legendary history the city of Baltimore has to offer. With our unique Inner Harbor location between Camden Yards and the Baltimore Convention Center, you will find yourself in the midst of it all. We hope to see you again in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Arrived at 9 PM, was waiting for valet but the valet staff was just looking out from their window. I waited for about 10 minutes but no one came out to offer to park my car so I decided to self park.
Checked in a nice room with a view, but I was surprised with how they made the bed (photo attached). I don't know if this is the standard, which I hope not.
The staff in the restaurant were really nice. From the staff working in the evening and breakfast, they were very accomodating.
I had the breakfast buffet but I didn't get the chance to sit and enjoy breakfast for long because it started to snow and I had to start driving back. I just had an oatmeal from the buffet but one of the staff packed some pastries for me to take for my trip. That was a kind gesture.

Room Tip: The ball park view does make a difference.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Linda W, General Manager at Hilton Baltimore, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience here at the Hilton Baltimore. Our goal is to have each of our guests rate us as a 10 out of 10 each time they visit our property. Although I see there were positive aspects of your stay, I would like to apologize any issues experienced as you arrived to our property. We will use your feedback to improve our guest experience. Driving in the snow can be challenging; we are glad you made it home safe.

We hope to serve you again in the future
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My company was in need of a small meeting spot, I called to guest services. I had the gracious opportunity to speak with Deborah in guest services via the phone, she made this an absolute breeze!! She gave me ideas and solved my dilemma!! Kudos Deborah

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear valued Guest,

We appreciate you sharing this positive feedback with our hotel team, as well as prospective guests. I also wanted to thank you for your comments regarding the attentiveness and professionalism of Deborah.
We hope to serve you and your meeting needs next time you are in the Baltimore area.