“Wonderful”

Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Surrey, England
“Wonderful”
Reviewed January 16, 2007

I was searching for a 'special' hotel to take my husband to on the first night of his birthday trip to the US. I looked at loads of reviews of different hotels in Baltimore and consulted this site and when I found Henderson's Wharf I knew immediately it was the place for us.

I had a number of email conversations with staff and they kindly arranged a few 'extras' in our room for my husband's birthday. When we arrived everything was perfect, easy to park, went straight to our room and after our long flight it was fantastic to relax with a bottle of sparkly!

Staff were very friendly and advised us where to go for a meal. The room (water front) we stayed in was beautiful, a fantastic view of the sun rising over the marina in the morning, it couldn't have been a more perfect way to start the day.

If you are looking for 'the' hotel that has a little bit extra then I couldn't advise you strongly enough to stay.

• Liked — The location and quietnes
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank Round-the-World77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
NYC
Reviewed January 14, 2007

We stayed at the Wharf between Christmas and New Years. From the moment we arrived we felt at home at this amazing hotel. If you go to Baltimore you should absolutely stay here. Right by the water, close to cozy pubs and the rooms are suburb. They provide a free bottle of wine and the snacks in the rooms are wonderful. Everything you could imagine and more! The front desk staff are so helpful and friendly. We even enjoyed hanging out in the hotel lobby reading and drinking coffee. Don't stay anywhere else when visiting that area. I stay in hotels all around the world and this place is up there!! Maya Balos, NYC, New York.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
1 Thank NYC_traveller123
State College, PA
Reviewed January 6, 2007

This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Unopretentious yet beautifully simple in all respects. Rooms, excellent. Service, excellent. Location, excellent. The whole experience was great.

In fact, we had spa appointments at the Intercontinental (could not get into the Fells Point spa we wanted) and we just amazed at how awful that place was compared to our little slice of heaven.

And, also, staying in the Inner Harbor?? Try Fells Point instead. MUCH better restaurants and nightlife.

2 Thank PAeric
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed December 2, 2006

We stayed at Hendersons Wharf Inn for two nights following our wedding in November. We couldn't have picked a better place! The Inn is gorgeous, the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, and the continental breakfast is not to be beat. The bottle of wine was a nice touch, and the mini bar is well stocked for late-night snacks. I also loved that coffee and tea are available 'round-the-clock in the lobby.

My only complaint: we had a ground-floor room facing out toward the harbor. There is a public sidewalk outside these rooms. When we arrived, we opened the shutters to enjoy the view -- only to find a man walking his dog staring back at us. So we kept the shutters closed throughout our stay. I wouldn't recommend harbor view rooms on the ground floor for this reason. That said, keeping the shutters closed certainly didn't ruin the stay.

Stay here...you won't be disappointed! And be sure to tap into the staff's opinions on the local restaurants -- they won't steer you wrong.

• Liked — Beautiful building, convenient location
  • Disliked — Ground floor windows don't offer much privacy
  • Tips/Secrets — Have tapas at Mezze -- it's delicious!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cjs121
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2006

My boyfriend I and planned a weekend trip to the Henderson Wharf Inn and were not disappointed. For a hotel ranked 3 stars it was better than some of the 5 star hotels I've visited. The hotel rooms were immaculate, beds a little too soft but still very comfortable, and the bottle of wine was a nice touch.

The mini bar was well stocked with snacks and drinks. Also if you needed some last minute gifts there were cute food items, all with a Baltimore theme, in there as well.

The free parking lot was a plus, because parking in the city can be tricky and expensive! The hotel also offered us the opportunity to leave our car there after we had checked out, so we didn't have to worry about parking for the day.

The continental breakfast was one of the best I've had. Bagels, pastries, fresh fruit, cereals, etc. You can eat at tables indoors or out depending on the weather, or you can take it back to you're room on trays.

The location is walking distance to many nice shops and great places to eat. Although it was in the heart of the city, we had a very peaceful and enjoyable weekend. Since we live in the area we had done the Harbor many times so this was a nice change.
If you are planning to visit the Harbor this hotel is short drive or water taxi away.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice getaway with a great location. Especially if you're local and want to feel like you're out of town this is a good choice.

• Liked — rooms, location
  • Disliked — bed was a little soft, but that's me looking for something to complain about. Not a big deal!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 80'sbaby
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 4, 2006

We stayed at the very lovely and absolutely superior Henderson's Wharf Inn for a 2 night anniversary getaway. I cannot say enough positive things about this property and can see why it is rated #1 here on Tripadvisor. We arrived on a Friday night about 8 p.m. - nice lobby and we had a very pleasant and speedy check-in. The Inn is located a the end of Fells Point on the 1st floor of a refurbished 19th century tobacco building. It's right on the water. We were in Room 138, which is king bed room with a cobblestone view. I also recommend this view over the garden courtyard view - while the courtyard itself is lovely, the cobblestone rooms are, architecturally, much more interesting than the courtyard rooms - although they looked nice as well, just planier. The exposed brick walls in the cobblestone view rooms really add a classic and rustic touch. I can only imagine that the waterview rooms must be spectacular - unfortunately, they were all booked throughout the duration of our stay. Our room was gorgeous and VERY clean - the bed was THE most comfortable I have ever slept in. The sheets were soft and luxurious and the pillowtop mattress were wonderful. Furnishings were classy. Custom shutters are unique - although if you do have the cobblestone view room, people on the street will pass by, so keep them closed if need be. There is a nice little bar area as well with a bottle of your complimentary wine and a personalized welcome note from the staff. Even the minibar was stocked with interesting items that you may actually want to purchase and did not seem horrifically overpriced. The bathrooms were lovely and clean - and the sinks are not to be believed - very unique. If there is any one small criticism, I would say they could stand to purchase some thicker, softer towels for the bath. Even his and hers robes were included for your stay. Satellite TV with a ton of channels and free internet connection in your room as well are nice amentities.

The Inn itself is ideally located, just one block away from all the restaurants and bars in Fells Point. However, it is really quiet and peaceful - just far enough away from the busy streets and Fells Point scene to be secluded, but a 2-3 minute walk away, and you were right in the hustle and bustle of Fells Point.

Deluxe continental breakfast is offered in the mornings. It's a great way to start the day: hard boiled eggs, granola, yogurt, an array of cereals, pasteries, bagels with flavored cream cheeses, fresh fruits, varied cheeses, oatmeal, breakfast cakes, juices (orange, cranberry, tomato), coffee, teas, bottled water - it is a really nice continental spread. The coffee/tea setup is kept out 24/7, so it's nice to come back from sightseeing and have some hot beverages at your disposal.

The parking is included in the cost of your room and is in a secured lot that is adjacent to the hotel. It's great to have it included in your room rate. Nothing is more of a downer than to be charged $30/day over and above your room rate to park your car - not at Henderson's!

Staff could not have been more helpful. They recommended great restaurants to us and were always so pleasant.

There is also a fitness center - but we were so busy eating that we did not work out once!

I have to say that I cannot believe that Expedia rates this hotel at 2.5 stars. They have GOT to be kidding - this was a 4* property if I ever saw one. One thing, though -- I don't know that I would bring my young children to Henderson's - it's probably fine for teens on up, but this is a quiet, classy and romantic establishment. I think I would spend the majority of my time worrying if my kids were quiet enough.

Also, both John Stevens and Slainte were great, casual places to eat right near the hotel in Fells Point.

It's a great hotel for Baltimore and for $189/night, was completely reasonable for what we received. I'd return without hesitation. I am thrilled by this fabulous find and it is appropriately rated as Baltimore's #1 hotel.

• Liked — comfortable bed, location, great breakfast, service, free parking, free wine
  • Disliked — thin towels in bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — This is your place to stay in Baltimore!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mccarthys5
Chicago
Reviewed October 15, 2006

We stayed here for 2 nights to see a White Sox game. I had two teens with me and we all loved it. They let us check in early, we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, the room - wow. I don't think i've ever stayed anyplace with 2 queen beds instead of 2 full beds. The bathroom had all the amenities and the staff was super helpful. Yes, i did enjoy my complimentary wine. The neighborhood around the inn was nice to walk through and the water taxi was easy to use. We loved the brick in our room and would definitely recommend!

• Liked — Comfy beds
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family