“Don't be put off by the exterior, you'll be happy at McCabe”
Review of McCabes - CLOSED

McCabes
Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cox Street
Reviewed March 8, 2014

McCabes has a bit of a fortress-like exterior, but inside is a classic friendly pub with very good food. I had a delicious crab cake sandwich, and my dining partner had french onion soup and a grilled ham and cheese. All were really tasty. The service was also friendly and efficient. If I'm again traveling to this part of Baltimore, I'll stop in again.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is a darkish, small bar with a local clientele. The staff is always friendly. They have a great selection of beers on tap. The burgers are the best in Baltimore. The bun by itself is amazing, but the burger is always perfect.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Our kids live in Baltimore City, and they suggested this place to eat prior to going to see the lights on 34th street....it was an awesome recommendation! McCabes is a small, kind of dark-ish restuarant bar. It has a real local feel about it. We arrived on a Thurs nt about 6, and found close, parallel parking on the street..don't think they have a parking lot..this is the city remember! The place was empty but filled quickly. We were greeted warmly and had a very good server. If you have 5 or more in your party, you should probably make a reservation so they can make arrangements to accommodate a larger group. Thurs is rib night..1/2 rack for 10 bucks; can't beat it! Out group ordered 2 ribs meals, 2 fried chicken breasts,1 fish and chips (which was a special that night) and 2 salads. The salads were large, fresh, well presented with delicous blu cheese, tasted homemade. All the meals offered good sized portions. The ribs had a flavorful barbecue sauce (just the right amt too!), with fall off the bone meat..delish! There were 2 large pieces of fish which were light, not at all greasy and absolutely melted in your mouth. The chicken breast was coated in light breading, sort of rolled and was dressed with a honey-chili sauce. Not spicy and just enough to enhance the meat but not drown out the taste. The chicken was served with broccolini and home made mac n cheese. The ribs and fish were served with a light, crisp, fresh homemade cole slaw (simply dressed in oil/vinegar I believe) and hand cut fries. Everything was terrific. If I had to criticize, I would have like my fries hotter, but I like all my hot food, very hot, but hey, that's just me. We cleaned every plate! We ordered 2 bread pudding desserts, which had just come out of the oven. Nice size, served with a light cream glaze with I think small chunks of apple and tiny chocolate chips. Sounds very rich, but the apple/chocolate was minimal which really made the yummy bread and glaze shine..again, not a speck left! The tab for all this deliciousness plus 3 beers came to 123.00 minus tip. The only negative (and this is minor) is that when the house was full, it was a bit loud...this would not keep me away from this lovely local restaurant/bar with it's superb food. We had a terrifc meal, got to spend time together as a family and then enjoyed a quick walk down 34th st to see the Christmas light displays. I have a feeling McCabes will become a Christmas tradition!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I was in Baltimore for a music festival and my friend (a Baltimore native) took our group here for brunch. I was wary in the beginning since we were the only customers the whole time we were there but the crab cake sandwich was PHENOMENAL!

Don't overlook this gem and don't miss the crab cake sandwich!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've lived in Hampden for a few years and never really paid any mind to McCabes. Recently, I heard there were new owners. A group of us decided to check it out - wow! I was impressed. Tiny dining area is very cozy. The menu was the perfect size and had many comfort foods on it. Some of my friends commented that it was one of the best burgers they have had in a while. I personally thought my dish was delicious and well seasoned. I've since been 3 times in the last month and McCabe's has become the new go-to spot for going out but not breaking the bank. GREAT value for the money and they also seem to have good cocktails! Don't let the location fool you! It's nothing like Dmitri's hah!