“Great Bar, Burgers and Staff”
Review of McCabes - CLOSED

McCabes
Cuisines: Bar, American, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cox Street
Hunt Valley, Maryland
“Great Bar, Burgers and Staff”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

McCabes is one of my husband and my favorite places to just go and hang out and have a good burger or fish sandwich. We love to sit at the bar and talk to the locals and the great bartender. If you want to spend the evening in a comfortable classic Baltimore place - this is it!

• Visited December 2012

Baltimore, Maryland
“Chearfull staff and great burger”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stopped in after a business trip to unwind and organize my work. I was chearfully greated by the barmaid and helped with the food menu for recommendations. I decided on the burger and it was a big hit. Cooked perfect...a real medium rare not gray like most places. It was juicy without being sloppy and seasoned perfectly. The bun had the just right texture and allowed the burger to shine. A side of pretty good fries finished a relaxing stop at McCabes. The interior is compact, inviting and easy on the eye. Price for a burger is... well over tens dollars now so join the 21st century. Parking is along Falls Rd. and since I was there during the week found a spot close by.

• Visited November 2012
The Villages, Florida
“Delicious Crabcakes”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I told my friends that I wanted crabcakes since I was in Maryland, and they took me to McCabe's. What a treat!! The crabcake was huge and all meat with very little filling and cooked perfectly. I had the choice of two sides which was nice because I could get veggies instead of a starch. The spinach was great, as were the grilled asparagus. My friend had his fries tossed in Old Bay seasoning and they were great too.

This place is a small neighborhood restaurant, but it's worth going. I wish I had a reason to get back there for another great crabcake dinner.

• Visited October 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great atmosphere, okay food”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We go to McCabe's often as it's nearby and the closest thing to an informal European-style bistro in its atmosphere. The bar is not loud, no smoking, attractive dining area, which is set off from the bar by a chest-high divider, so it's separate but not isolated. Last visit I had cream of crab soup, nowhere near as good as the wonderful version served before the closing and reopening. It was enjoyable, just not outstanding. My steak, which I asked for pink through, not red, was entirely raw in the middle and had to be sent back. It was returned well-done on the outside and still raw in the middle. It had a delicious sauce, but the meat was curiously bland. Mashed potatoes rather dry, asparagus well-seasoned and good, but with tough, woody ends. My husband had the French onion soup, good but too salty, and the moussaka appetizer, which he enjoyed.

The prices are very reasonable, the service tries hard, but another wait-person would be really helpful. Still, I think the service is not generally a problem. We go for the atmosphere and convenience as much as for the food, which to sum up is good enough, but not the biggest attraction for us.

• Visited September 2012
baltimore
“This is a treasure of a local bar-restaurant for simple dining.”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

This is the kind of bar with upscale bar food that every neighborhood should have, this one in Hamden on Falls Road.
It had closed, was presumably bought by new owners, and then recently the happy surprised of a re-opening, greatly improved. The food is excellent if you are going for one of the specials: fish or some sort of steak for example, or for the standard but broadly varied bar food. Pulled pork sandwich and hamburgers wonderful, great fries, and home-made coleslaw that is not swimming in white goop. Lots of choices. My husband has the steak sandwich or steak salad and swears by them both. Nice desserts, usually including a bread pudding of some sort. In a very plain neighborhood, with a bar on the premises, but no smoking and no blaring TVs. Good cocktails and beer choices, of course. For a simple night out, or before going to the movies, this is the place.

Visited December 2011