“Delicious Crabcakes”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cox Street
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I told my friends that I wanted crabcakes since I was in Maryland, and they took me to McCabe's. What a treat!! The crabcake was huge and all meat with very little filling and cooked perfectly. I had the choice of two sides which was nice because I could get veggies instead of a starch. The spinach was great, as were the grilled asparagus. My friend had his fries tossed in Old Bay seasoning and they were great too.

This place is a small neighborhood restaurant, but it's worth going. I wish I had a reason to get back there for another great crabcake dinner.

There are newer reviews for McCabes

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We go to McCabe's often as it's nearby and the closest thing to an informal European-style bistro in its atmosphere. The bar is not loud, no smoking, attractive dining area, which is set off from the bar by a chest-high divider, so it's separate but not isolated. Last visit I had cream of crab soup, nowhere near as good as the wonderful version served before the closing and reopening. It was enjoyable, just not outstanding. My steak, which I asked for pink through, not red, was entirely raw in the middle and had to be sent back. It was returned well-done on the outside and still raw in the middle. It had a delicious sauce, but the meat was curiously bland. Mashed potatoes rather dry, asparagus well-seasoned and good, but with tough, woody ends. My husband had the French onion soup, good but too salty, and the moussaka appetizer, which he enjoyed.

The prices are very reasonable, the service tries hard, but another wait-person would be really helpful. Still, I think the service is not generally a problem. We go for the atmosphere and convenience as much as for the food, which to sum up is good enough, but not the biggest attraction for us.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

This is the kind of bar with upscale bar food that every neighborhood should have, this one in Hamden on Falls Road.
It had closed, was presumably bought by new owners, and then recently the happy surprised of a re-opening, greatly improved. The food is excellent if you are going for one of the specials: fish or some sort of steak for example, or for the standard but broadly varied bar food. Pulled pork sandwich and hamburgers wonderful, great fries, and home-made coleslaw that is not swimming in white goop. Lots of choices. My husband has the steak sandwich or steak salad and swears by them both. Nice desserts, usually including a bread pudding of some sort. In a very plain neighborhood, with a bar on the premises, but no smoking and no blaring TVs. Good cocktails and beer choices, of course. For a simple night out, or before going to the movies, this is the place.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Saturday night is busy in this small pub/restaurant. Reservations are definetly a help. Greeting staff was good, although we had to wait 10 minutes for a table. The bar had limited by the glass wine choices. The food, we had burgers, ribs, salads and brisket at my table, were all tasty (especially the ribs and sauce) and well sized. Cole slaw and Fries also appeared to be freshly made. The dessert , apple something with vanilla ice cream was fair. The service overall was spotty. The waiter was nice, but rarely checked on us without being asked. Overall very good experience and cetainly would return.

1  Thank Ira F
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I have been here a few times and have consistently had good experiences each time. As one of the other reviews stated below, it really does look like a hole in the wall from the outside. But once you get inside, its small yet cozy and a great place to get pub-type food with quality ingredients.

On this visit, we started off with the wings which are definitely not your typical wings. They appear to be fried and then finished on the grill with a sweet maple BBQ sauce that is NOT spicy at all. Served with a house-made bleu cheese dressing, carrots and celery stalks. Really tasty and a pleasant departure from your typical spicy buffalo wings.

We both ordered bacon cheeseburgers and as always, they did not disappoint. Very fresh meat cooked perfectly to specified temperature, quality thick and crispy bacon slices on top of a wonderful Stone Mill Bakery bun. Fresh cut fries on the side. There are some great burgers in Baltimore, and this is one of the best for sure. I have also tried their baby back ribs before and though they were good, I don't put them on the same level as their burgers.

Service was friendly and attentive. We had great seats at the bar with a view of the TV. Depending on when you go, you should be able to find parking on Falls Rd. without too much trouble.

1  Thank MRCfoodie