“Sustainable & Spectacular!”

Ranked #1 of 44 Dessert in Baltimore
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Fells Point
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I never actually set out to find a healthy, sustainable source to feed my sweet tooth, so finding Pitango Gelato was a very happy coincidence. Located in the heart of Fells Point in Baltimore, this little shop makes high-quality gelato that tastes too good to feel "healthy." Their frozen treats have no artificial anything (a big plus in my book), and they make every effort to obtain natural products to include in their recipes. You'll savor organic milk from Pennsylvania, chocolate from Venezuela, hazelnuts from Italy, and vanilla beans from Papua New Guinea, just to name a few. Their treats are vegan, non-dairy, and gluten-free. While I'm not in those categories, I do appreciate foods and products that are good for my body, and it's nice to have a place to take out-of-town visitors who want something special for dessert. Their website also shows locations in Washington DC and Northern Virginia, so check it out if you don't live close to Baltimore.

Date of visit: August 2012
1  Thank venesueca
Write a reviewReviews (258)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

It's a cozy little shop in Fells Point. They have friendly staff and lots of great flavors! We tried the pistachio, chocolate and baccio flavors. Will definitely be going back!

Date of visit: September 2012
Reviewed November 23, 2012

A few weekends ago, my wife, who is originally from Baltimore, took me to Fells Point for the first time. As we strolled down Broadway, we walked past Pitango. I am allergic to dairy, and always on the hunt for frozen dessert places with good dairy free options, whether they are sorbets or desserts made with soy milk or other substitutes.

Pitango has a number of very intriguing sorbets, including one called Chocolate Noir that I had (along with Rhubarb sorbet). Wow! Really rich, creamy smooth, first-rate! I can't vouch for whether their prices are outrageous, but for a special treat, this was well worth it!

Date of visit: October 2012
1  Thank Charming_Karl
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The prices are pretty absurd for a college student, but it is quite delicious. I greatly enjoyed a nice gelato and a walk around Fell's point on a warm day.

All I gotta say is, before you order, be sure to get your fair share of free samples to get your money's worth.

Date of visit: May 2012
1  Thank circustiger
Reviewed October 23, 2012

During the summer, this place is packed!!! For a good reason though and the wait is soooo worth it. I live in Fells point and I usually go to RIta's or Maggie Moo's but I didn't go to any of those places after I found Pitango. It was my first try at Gelato and I had the coconut flavor the first time and it was beyond delicious. We have tried other flavors and my husband and I agree that coconut is the best one. You can get one flavor or 2 in a small cup and I'm pretty sure they have other sizes. As you have read, it's pricey but so worth it for how delicious and decadent it is. I feel bad for Rita's because It was replaced this year.

Date of visit: September 2012

Been to Pitango Gelato? Share your experiences!