“We really liked this zoo, so glad we went.”
Review of The Maryland Zoo

The Maryland Zoo
Ranked #22 of 245 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors meet more than 1,500 animals including chimpanzees, elephants, leopards and warthogs as they journey on an African safari, groom goats in the Farmyard, explore the winding trails through the Lyn P. Myerhoff Maryland Wilderness and watch the polar bears swim next to you at the underwater viewing window. Plus, don't miss the new, award winning Penguin Coast exhibit featuring the most successful breeding colony of endangered African penguins in North America.
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My Central Pennsylvania family visited the Maryland Zoo for the first time today and we couldn't be happier with our experience. It may not be as big and fancy as some zoo's in the nation, but we found if to be quite nice. We had a wonderful time seeing all the animals out and about. Our favorite was watching the elephants and feeding the giraffes. It took us about 3 hours to see everything. We will definitely be back to this zoo.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"okapi"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed September 7, 2010

I have been to this zoo many times and had not visited for about two years now. This time I took two boys, ages 7 and 11, who had just lost their mother. They were so psyched to go. However, what a huge letdown...........the zoo has gone downhill so much from what I remember it used to be. Even the boys didn't really enjoy it. The main thoroughfare that is closed was one of my favorite parts and so many exhibits were just empty. The animals looked healthy, but what was once my favorite zoo will definitely not be on my list of places to visit on summer vacation again.

1  Thank PiggieFreak
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We went on a Sunday late AM and it only took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get through it. It was a drizzly rainy day so that kept a lot of people away. The rides of course were not running in the rain. A lot of cave areas to get out of the rain if need be in a pinch.
My biggest complaint was how many exhibits were closed for "refurbishment". Really? In the dead of August you close an exhibit - why not wait until the season dies down a bit?
Other negatives were how unkept the grounds were - overgrown weeds everywhere and the parking lot is horrible!! Whoever decided on the raised bricks never pushed a child in a stroller before!!
We got tickets via Groupon for $7- otherwise, I would be giving this a "poor" rating. $16 is WAY too much for this zoo.
When comparing this zoo to the Pittsburgh zoo or even the Erie Zoo - wow - no comparison.
Cute gift store at the entrance. My son enjoyed the tram ride that takes you from the entrance area to the main part of the zoo - that would be a looong walk up hill otherwise...
Can't speak to the food concessions.
Bathrooms seemed well maintained.
Kind of a seedy area surrounding the zoo - don't get lost at night!

1  Thank beardogmom
Reviewed July 25, 2010

This zoo was great- lots of animals and nice staff. They has some nice interactive hings for small kids to do, espcially around the farm area. My 3 year old really enjoyed it. Very affordable ticket prices and free parking. Clean food areas and bathrooms.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2010

As a former member of the Maryland Zoo, I have enjoyed going with my family for at least 10 years . But after a recent visit in July, I can agree with the other posted reviews about the sad decline of this once popular zoo. Back when it was the Baltimore Zoo, my family enjoyed 4 sections : Africa , Polar Bear Watch, MD Wilderness, and in particular the Historic Main Valley path located at the entrance were we saw flamingos, bald eagles, peacocks, tigers , and snow leopards. Now, due to a lack of funding ,the Main Valley has been closed since 2007 and we had to walk 10 minutes to get to other exhibits. At least the Prairie dogs from the Main Valley have a cool new area near the entrance and the path goes through mature woods and is very shaded.

We toured the 3 remaining sections. Despite the fact that many of the exhibits were spaced far apart they were still enjoyable. The MD Wilderness and children's zoo still has fun interactive exhibits including the tree slide and the bat cave , but they seem to have less wildlife in them than before . The otters were MIA due to the summer heat but inside there was nothing! Even the skunk in the tree slide was gone. At least the barnyard still had farm animals

Polar Bear Watch was still great with the bears swimming in the pools to cool off along with Africa. Along the path many of the animals were out including the chimpanzees , giraffes, and big cats (lion cheetah leopard) They also had some new birds including beautiful African Crowned Cranes . The baby elephant was cute drinking water with his mother along with the baby warthogs. But there were still some missing including the crocodiles and rock hyrax

Food prices are high just like at the National Zoo. I bought a ice cream bar that was $3.50! Admission is also very high at $16/adults! The Zoo, in general is still a great place to spend a couple of hours while in Baltimore with what they have . They also do a great job as a nonprofit, AZA zoo in supporting endangered species and education. Hopefully with more support from memberships and the state they can expand. Though if you want to see others , visit the National Zoo or MD's other Zoo the Salisbury Zoo