Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
More Information

Ways to Experience The Maryland Zoo
from $349.90
More Info
All reviews penguin area bears polar goats enclosures exhibits maryland admission reptiles volunteers concessions
Selected filters
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Wow, I haven't been to this zoo since I was a child and it has not changed for the better.
It was sad to see since I brought my daughter to see the animals and frankly there weren't many to see! The giraffes looked good, but beyond that the animals were all older and looked unusually sluggish for the first warm day of the year! The male elephant was just walking in circles and looked like he just wanted to go back to the inside area, but the fence was closed. He just kept going around the same spot and it was enough to make you cry. It was the baby elephants birthday and the park was packed. There was only food from machines available or a huge line for a snow cone because some sort of construction was going on. The polar bears looked pretty miserable and just looked like they are either not well cared for. The enclosure looks awkward with very little space and nowhere away from the crowds. One was just laying on the ground with his back to everyone instead of in the pool, where you would expect him to be on a warm day, the other looked like he was trying to find a place out of sight of the crowd. These and other animals in the zoo looked like they could use a good meal. They all seemed underweight to me. No I am not a proffesional zookeeper, but I have been to The Audobon Zoo, The Washington Zoo and The Dublin Zoo and know what well cared for animals look like and it isn't like this. If they can't care properly for their animals they should send them to a zoo that can because this is just too sad.

1  Thank lechat72
Reviewed December 23, 2009

Signing up for a membership when my son was 2 years old was a great investment. He is 5 now and we attend the zoo every few weeks and have a wonderful time --every time. The zoo is split into four sections: Polar Bears, Africa and Maryland Wildlife and Petting Zoo/Farm Animals. The African section is strongest. During the warm months every enclosure provides the animals with lots of space in a natural environment. Because of this, I strongly prefer the Maryland Zoo to the National Zoo where many of the animals live in concrete cages. The two zoos are complimentary with the Zoo in Baltimore focusing on Africa and D.C. strength is Asian Animals. The grounds are stunning, the park was designed by Olmstead and I love how the exhibits are carved into the rolling hills. The petting zoo is great for Toddlers, but after my son turned 4 we focus our time on Africa. The Maryland wildlife section has fewer animals, but is good for children who prefer physical activities like sliding boards and and rope bridge.

1  Thank MingChoLee
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I can't believe people gave this zoo such high ratings!! I have been to a lot of zoos and this one was definitely the worst. There was a ton of walking up hills, and not many animals to look at. I couldn't believe that they didn't put any money into making benchs for people to sit on and rest! There were barely any considering how much walking you have to do. I also hated Baltimore in general. It is a giant ghetto with way too much traffic. It's better to go to D.C. instead.

4  Thank skycathedral
Reviewed June 24, 2009

My 7 year old & I spent about 3 hours here, got it mostly covered. The size is just right, not too spread out. The walking trails had a lot of shade which was very nice. I liked how they have activities for kids intermixed with the exhbits - slides, climbing spots, some small rides ($2 per ride) in the center, and of course the favorite camel ride ($5). The zoo was very clean, the barn area didn't smell all that 'barn-y', plenty of hand washing stations by the hands-on stuff. They are doing some work there, so the water fountains were few & far between.

2  Thank SweettroitSteve
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Overall, my 5 yr old had a great time at the zoo. We went on a Wednesday, which there is cheaper admission during the week, and I had a coupon so admission was reasonable. Parking was free. Once in the park, you have to take a tram to the actual exhibits, which is about a 10 minute wait. The Africa exhibits were really good. The giraffes were terrific. Unfortunately the penguin exhibit was closed for cleaning, which really disappointed my son, who just loves penguins. The children's side of the zoo was ok. Nothing spectacular. He had fun petting the goats. My biggest complaint is that once you are in the children's section, you HAVE to go through the WHOLE side to get back out to get to a bathroom. This didn't work out so well in our favor. I understand they are under construction, but an emergency porta-potty would have been great somewhere along the way. As for eating there, we packed our own lunch because they do not have much in the line of food... unless you want to pay $4 for a dixie-cup sized snowcone.

1  Thank CarsMomma