“Enjoyable and Enlightening”

Great Blacks in Wax Museum
Ranked #49 of 243 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Wax museum that focuses on African-American culture and history.
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The neighborhood is sketchy, very sketchy, but I enjoyed the time spent in the museum. Yes, the place needs some work, but the exhibits and information presented helped me overlook any shortcomings. I especially liked the salute to/wax figures of notable Baltimoreans and the lynching exhibit. During my visit, I was able to move between listening to tour guides and doing a self-guided walk, which made the visit less confining. I went on a weekday and found on-street parking close by and a small amount of patrons. It's a short drive from the Harbor, not walking distance. You could probably spend an hour on a self-guided walk of just looking; longer if you take time to read everything or stick with a tour guide. I'd highly recommend this for school-age youngsters, but adults should find it extremely worthy, too.

1  Thank ms90

Reviewed July 16, 2011

The first thing to say is that the neighbourhood can appear scary at first. I arrived by train from DC and got a cab directly to the museum. The can driver looked genuinely worried when I told her where I wanted to go. Nonetheless I went and in fact when I left, I decided to catch the bus back down to the harbour area. No harm came to me and in fact I spoke to a few people on the bus.

So that aside, the museum was good. Is has a definite amateur feels about it and many of the exhibits are fairly simplistic but I really respected the effort and research that had clearly gone into the place. For someone (from the UK) who didn't know a great deal about African-American history, it was a real insight.

So if you're interested, and up for learning a little, go for it.

2  Thank Dan C
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Visited the museum about 4 years ago, and read about the surrounding neighborhood in advance, so we took the local Light Rail to it. Learned too, why the owner of the museum want the exhibit where it is. Moving it to the Inner Harbor area or anywhere away from the neighborhood it's in sends a bad message. Besides, everyone needs to be alert, and prepared. Alert, prepared people rarely have a problem wherever they go regardless of the surroundings.

3  Thank impala62
Reviewed May 25, 2009

The surrounding neighborhood is crime ridden and not recommended. The museum is good if you like politically correct dsiplay's. If the museum was a in a better neighborhood, I may give it a higher rating. It is only worth it, if you are really interested in the subject, other than that, the chance of being mugged or a victim of a crime in a drug infested neighborhood should make most think twice.

10  Thank PhilKnox
Reviewed March 16, 2008

The neighborhood the Great Black in Wax Museum is located wasnt in the best conditions. One of the native from Balimore warnedme in advance. However I had to go see the musuem for myself.

The moment I arrived inside the building was an experience in itself. I was at awe. Seeing the slaves ships, the chains of the slaves mouths of those trying to revolt and also the scenes of lynching was enough to make you cry and also was enough to make you proud and strong. The stories captured at this museum was very detailed and captivating. This museum is a must see for all.

6  Thank itsmoore