“Parents of train loving kids- TAKE THEM HERE”

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum
Ranked #8 of 237 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the site of the oldest railroad station in America, this museum traces the development of trains and features a huge collection of railroad memorabilia, a model railroad and an operating replica of the very first locomotive, The Tom Thumb, which was built here.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Our two year old loves trains and going to this place feels like a vacation because he is so entirely entertained. The facility is beautifully restored and they've put so much entertainment in for kids that I don't think he'll ever tire of visiting. Whenever we visit family in Maryland we head here. They have a very large play area in the main building that includes multiple train tables, coloring areas and a dress up area (as well as comfy ricking chairs for mom and dad.) There are also a number of restored trains kids can walk in and lots of fun buttons to push. Outside there are more trains to walk through, a model train set up (big hit with kids) as well as small rides for kids and picnic tables. There is also a restored train trip you can take from the museum which lasts less than an hour which is a prefect time frame to maintain the attention of young ones. Just when you think you've seen it all there is a second building with more trains the kids can walk through.

1  Thank cityrider76

Reviewed May 27, 2013

A gorgeous rebuilt roundhouse and many locomotives and cars to see with excellent history. Every one of us had positive things to say about this museum.

1  Thank Graham M
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We spent an afternoon looking at the trains and exhibits here. It was enjoyable- as was the train ride. My son is 5 and he enjoyed his trip, but I feel like he would've enjoyed it more about a year ago. It was fun enough but we wouldn't return.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Went here with my wife daughter and husband. I like trains and generally my wife tolerates our "visits" to train venues. But she and my daughter actually found this museum interesting and educational. There are quite a large number of rolling stock and a working roundhouse and yards. Some of the equipment you can enter and walk through and even sit at the controls in some of the steam engines. The exhibits are awesome as are the trains. There are tours that go on through the day with lots of information. I would say allow about 3 hours to get a good feel of the place and the history of the railroad business in general. Well worth the admission price.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was our first return visit since the roundhouse was rebuilt following major damage from a snowstorm caving in the roof a few years ago. We thought that the renovations and displays were excellent, especially the current exhibition on Trains in the Civil War. My husband is a railroad buff and he soaked up lots of technical details about the trains, while I tended to enjoy seeing the way the sizes evolved from the small & colorful early styles to the absolutely gigantic powerhouse, "The Appalachian". The stagecoach and the Conestoga wagon also caught my eye. Families were there with children and I noticed that the kids were having fun exploring the exhibits too. Everything is well laid out both indoors and outdoors, including children's active play areas in both places. The roundhouse exhibitions were especially interesting and the building was very comfortable and clean. Parking was free and inside the gated grounds. We've gone to a lot of railroad museums and this is one of our favorites.

1  Thank JA W