“Great visit”

Fort McHenry National Monument
Ranked #2 of 234 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic fort that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the U.S. national anthem.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

A very pleasant and informative visit. My time spent at Fort McHenry has forever changed my experience of the singing of the Star Spangled Banner!

There are newer reviews for Fort McHenry National Monument

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Not sure why, but my expectations were not very high for my visit to Fort McHenry. In fact I've visited Baltimore a good 15 times before deciding to finally make a visit. And boy was I glad I did.

The movie at the visitor's center was not only entertaining and informative but quite moving, especially when at the end they drew the curtain to reveal Old Glory flying from Fort McHenry in the background. I've heard the Star Spangled Banner probably a thousand times in my lifetime. But after hearing it sung after listening to the history of the Battle of Baltimore (which of course brought to mind the 9/11 attack), it realty brought tears to my eyes.

And the various exhibits at the fort were all quite well done. Especially all the demonstrations and programs organized by the park rangers.

Definitely worth a visit for every American!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Very much enjoyed the history both in the visitor's center, the Fort and surrounding grounds. We thought we would only be there a couple of hours and then decided we wanted to spend more time, so we left and picked up sandwiches at a local restaurant, came back and ate at the picnic tables on the grounds. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed the views of the bay while we ate lunch. The Ranger activities and talks regarding the Fort, history and area were captivating and informative.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was a sunny day and nice ride on the water taxi. A good boat ride down the harbor/scenic. Fort is very historic/informative and beautiful spot to visit.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Went to Fort McHenry since there is the location of the battle that inspired the Star Spangled Banner. Inside the visitor center is a small museum and a film presentation and a gift shop. There are tours throughout the day; our tour guide was amazing who told little stories that are not in the textbooks. Though it was July, the fort is on the water so the weather was nice. The fort has been restored, making it one of the nicest forts I have ever been to. Plan to spend at least one hour here. It does cost money, but worth it.