“Mixed Bag of Delights and Distractions”

Maryland Historical Society
Ranked #43 of 208 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Housing a priceless collection of more than 200,000 objects, this museum displays a significant number of Maryland cultural artifacts plus items such as dolls and toys that provide a glimpse of everyday life in Maryland.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

In an effort to entertain some history lover friends visiting the area, I suggested this spot as a morning activity. There is surely something here for everyone and my traveling companions did seem to enjoy the toys, fashions, weapons and tools. I enjoyed the folk arts display especially. The free parking is a definite plus as well. The sculpture garden is very small, but a nice break from the rather over-bearing interior. I don't know whether anyone else has noticed, but the smell of mold and mildew in the interior of the museum is almost over-bearing. Had I not been entertaining friends, I would have left after 15 minutes. I searched for a spot inside where the smell did not attack me and I could not find an interior respite. Thank goodness for the respite of the outdoor garden. Our Saturday visit totaled almost three hours - we only encountered 2 or 3 other visiting parties, which is a shame - because the collection is quite nice. I even remarked to my friend the contrast between this place and the (relatively) nearby Smithsonian museums in terms of visitors. If you like having a place all to yourself and don't mind the odor, this place is for you! Hopefully a good air\duct cleaning would correct the problem. In the meantime, the displays of Baltimore founding families, the role of Maryland in the Civil War and the other various assorted displays are real treats each and every one. I am glad this place exists and I hope the air quality improves soon.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"timeline"
"founding"

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We thought this would be an hour stop- it turned out to be a whole afternoon of interesting exhibits. We loved the civil war, colonial and Bonaparte exhibits. Saw the original Star Spangled Banner on the hour. Great street by street map of old Baltimore.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Amazing display of Peale paintings. Exhibits of Maryland in the Civil War and of Maryland furniture were excellent. Spent two hours there, just absorbing. Great museum!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The museum was filled with interesting Civil War and War of 1812 artifacts, highlighted with fabulous, detailed explanations. They have a very nice art collection and furniture collection. I was pleasantly surprised overall. The $9 charge is well worth it, especially as it goes to the upkeep of the facility. Building is well lit and has a nice flow to it. The neighborhood isn't the best. I walked there from the downtown area and it was rather desolate and run down, but I didn't feel threatened. In fact if you like old architecture as I do, there are many nice examples along the way. Staff was friendly other than one gentleman who had a little bit of a superior attitude.