“Lot's and lot's of Maryland history!”

Maryland Historical Society
Ranked #50 of 247 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Housing a priceless collection of more than 200,000 objects, this museum displays a significant number of Maryland cultural artifacts plus items such as dolls and toys that provide a glimpse of everyday life in Maryland.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We thought this would be an hour stop- it turned out to be a whole afternoon of interesting exhibits. We loved the civil war, colonial and Bonaparte exhibits. Saw the original Star Spangled Banner on the hour. Great street by street map of old Baltimore.

All reviews
"civil war"
in 23 reviews
"early history"
in 4 reviews
"on display"
in 7 reviews
"the original star spangled banner"
"folk art"
in 28 reviews
"mastodon"
"mhs"

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Amazing display of Peale paintings. Exhibits of Maryland in the Civil War and of Maryland furniture were excellent. Spent two hours there, just absorbing. Great museum!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The museum was filled with interesting Civil War and War of 1812 artifacts, highlighted with fabulous, detailed explanations. They have a very nice art collection and furniture collection. I was pleasantly surprised overall. The $9 charge is well worth it, especially as it goes to the upkeep of the facility. Building is well lit and has a nice flow to it. The neighborhood isn't the best. I walked there from the downtown area and it was rather desolate and run down, but I didn't feel threatened. In fact if you like old architecture as I do, there are many nice examples along the way. Staff was friendly other than one gentleman who had a little bit of a superior attitude.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stumbled across this museum when we noticed the huge Nipper display on the roof. The Maryland Historical Society had outstanding exhibits of local furniture, silver, quilts, and the Civil War. I enjoyed the exhibit on Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte and my husband was partial to the exhibits from the War of 1812 and the Civil War. The art was first rate, the staff extremely friendly and helpful.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 3, 2013

First visit for my friend and me. She is a born and bred Marylander...I am a transplant but have lived here since 1979. We went especially to see the exhibit on Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte and waled in on the stitching of the American Flag, so we were invited to add our stitches which we gladly did. The exhibit was very interesting, beautifully displayed and very informative. We will definitely return to tour the rest of the facility