“IMPRESSED” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maryland Historical Society

Maryland Historical Society
Ranked #48 of 224 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Housing a priceless collection of more than 200,000 objects, this museum displays a significant number of Maryland cultural artifacts plus items such as dolls and toys that provide a glimpse of everyday life in Maryland.
Pottsville, Pennsylvania
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“IMPRESSED”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

The museum was filled with interesting Civil War and War of 1812 artifacts, highlighted with fabulous, detailed explanations. They have a very nice art collection and furniture collection. I was pleasantly surprised overall. The $9 charge is well worth it, especially as it goes to the upkeep of the facility. Building is well lit and has a nice flow to it. The neighborhood isn't the best. I walked there from the downtown area and it was rather desolate and run down, but I didn't feel threatened. In fact if you like old architecture as I do, there are many nice examples along the way. Staff was friendly other than one gentleman who had a little bit of a superior attitude.

• Turkish first
Simpsonville, South Carolina
169 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“Excellent way to spend half a day learning Baltimore history!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stumbled across this museum when we noticed the huge Nipper display on the roof. The Maryland Historical Society had outstanding exhibits of local furniture, silver, quilts, and the Civil War. I enjoyed the exhibit on Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte and my husband was partial to the exhibits from the War of 1812 and the Civil War. The art was first rate, the staff extremely friendly and helpful.

Seven Valleys, Pennsylvania
“Very impressive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

First visit for my friend and me. She is a born and bred Marylander...I am a transplant but have lived here since 1979. We went especially to see the exhibit on Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte and waled in on the stitching of the American Flag, so we were invited to add our stitches which we gladly did. The exhibit was very interesting, beautifully displayed and very informative. We will definitely return to tour the rest of the facility

Silver Spring, Maryland
311 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 330 helpful votes
“Maryland, My Wonderful Maryland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

As a Marylander I found the Historical Society fascinating. There are bits and pieces of Maryland all over the place including furniture, silver, quilts, paintings, Baltimore painted screens, primitive art, pottery, embroidered purses, shoes, weather vanes, beer bottles, nearly everything to do with Maryland History. It's all well marked. The historical exhibits, particularly those of the War of 1812 and the Civil War, tie everything together. The Historical Society took over the collection of the Peale Museum, pretty much the first museum in America. The most obvious part of this is the area that contains the paintings of Charles Wilson Peale and his family. This is a wonderful place to browse and definitely should be on anyone's list of things to see in Baltimore.

Visited March 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“One of the best in Baltimore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed all of the exhibits and learning how much of a role Baltimore played in American History. I really enjoyed seeing the guns that they had that were actually fired in the Pratt Street riots, one of the first battles of the Civi War. They have a very interesting display on Slavery in Maryland as well as a map of Maryland that took up the whole wall that showed the population of each county and how many slaves were there. On the second floor are exhibits of the Revolutionary War. I didn't think I would be here long when I visited but I winded up staying for 3 hours because I wanted to see everything.

1 Thank JustPassingThru22