“research - not much help”

Maryland Historical Society
Ranked #51 of 237 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Housing a priceless collection of more than 200,000 objects, this museum displays a significant number of Maryland cultural artifacts plus items such as dolls and toys that provide a glimpse of everyday life in Maryland.
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was pleasantly greeted at the information desk, and after paying my $6 fee, was directed to the research library (to do genealogy research). At the front desk of the library, I was directed to the gentleman who is in charge of all genealogy research. I've looked at microfilms records before, but these were impossible to read, and the gentleman wasn't that interested in helping me. Without certain codes from the film records, I couldn't get any further.

So I thought I'd go to their computers and see what records I could pull up there. I went on to their webpage (which had a dozen or more links to Maryland records). However, with each link, an error message popped up that this site is not available. When I asked the people at the desk about this, they told me that most sites are blocked on these computers - - - even their OWN pages. But I could access them from my home computer. Okay, so why am I here??? And I paid for this privilege.

I've performed years of research in dozens of libraries (almost always for free), but this one was the most frustrating, and a complete waste of an afternoon.

3  Thank blush48

Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is the greatest museum! It had so many exhibits I could have stayed all day and almost did. Had a room devoted to turn of the century toys, a huge civil war display, beautiful potrait, furniture, silver items, maritime and folk art sections. Loved it all!

Reviewed February 1, 2012

It is not the Smithsonian, but it gives a very good history of Baltimore and Maryland, if you like museums you go.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Some big collectors were so impressed with the collection of the Historical Society, they tried to steal some early history documents. The theives were caught, and you can see why they visited the Historical Society's displays. Near Mount Vernon.

1  Thank jacbalt
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We've lived in the Baltimore area for over 30 years and had never visited this interesting museum. It's all about Maryland history and there is currently a special exhibit about the state's involvement in the Civil War. Every 1/2 hour they do a small skit to bring history to life. On the next 1/2 hour, they provide brief tours of the Civil War section. We were very impressed with the quality of the exhibits and tour guides.

1  Thank BrendaBaltimore