“Scary but best crabcakes ever”
Review of Lexington Market

Lexington Market
Ranked #157 of 249 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: A colorful, busy, open-air market specializing in seafood.
Reviewed June 6, 2009

I was visiting Baltimore for a swim meet and decided to visit Lexington Market with my 11-year-old daughter. The bright spot is the crabcakes at Faidley's were absolutely the best I've ever had. The bad thing is it is a pit. We ate at a table on the second floor so we could people watch. The place was filled with shifty, scary people. While we were sitting there, security guards roamed the area. I felt like I was in a prison. We watched two men conduct lengthy negotiations over a drug deal. The security guard took note and radioed someone - after the deal was finished. Nothing happened. If you've watched The Wire, you know exactly what Lexington Market is. It's a shame because it could be a really neat place and some of the vendors are awesome. I won't go back. I will have my crabcakes shipped.

5  Thank seh
in 5 reviews
"md"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed April 29, 2009

being born in Baltimore, i have been to Lexington Market NUMEROUS times. My Dad and I would stop in, get some oysters, count the pig heads, get a deli sandwich, then always grab a couple bags of fresh roasted peanuts and head to an Orioles game. I was 8 then. It has gone a little downhill since then, i wouldnt recommend the elevator, but i would recommend the market itself. Every trip there is unique. Its unlike most other markets I've been to in other states. I would also recommend an Orioles game. Happy travels.

4  Thank pyrogeneral
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I live in Baltimore County, I`m not that old, however I have been to Lexington Market countless times. It is a very seedy place honestly & from the time I was younger, I never felt safe in that place. There is a lot going on. They have some pretty good food but I am not too sure about their sanitation. Last year around this time, I bought some Shrimp Fried Rice from one of the vendors, & about an hour later, I broke out in hives! It really surprised me, but I couldn`t think to expect anything more. Maybe if they actually cleaned Lexington Market up, people of good moral standing would visit more often, but more often than not, it is filled with very questionable people. Thank God I have never been robbed, but it isn`t a safe place at all. It makes me feel very uncomfortable.

3  Thank fortunate90
Reviewed March 12, 2009

When I visit other cities, I like to go to the places where the locals go. Sometimes they might be off the beaten path or not in an ideal neighborhood but, they are usually where I have the best, most authentic experiences. People who work in Baltimore don't eat at Harbor Place, they often eat in the city markets. Lexington market is the largest and best known. At lunch time it is bustling with people from U of MD and other business which surround it. Most Fridays (and I think Saturdays) there is live music. The choice of food is amazing. My husband thinks that Parks makes the best fried chicken in town but you could sample the numerous fried chicken stands in the market. You must try the cookies at Bergers with the chocolate icing on the top, a true Baltimore delicacy. Faidleys ships crab cakes around the country but I also like their raw bar. Go to Lexington Market for lunch. You can go to a chain restaurant at home.

4  Thank 0106
See more reviews
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Four of us went to Lexington Market in search of breakfast after being tempted by the Omelet Slideshow, based on the name alone. What we found was not a restaurant but a marketplace on the questionable side of town. There are a number of stands inside the market, but it appears that many of them contain the same or very similar food.

One of my friends did not feel too comfortable after spotting the sign indicating that the area was being videotaped for our "comfort and safety". The only patrons that interacted with me asked if there was something I was looking for, and was fairly nice. Another friend indicated that ten years from now, everyone will remember the breakfast we had at the Lexington Market and questioned if that would be true if we went to some boring old place that had restaurant luxuries like sanitation, waitstaff, or chairs. The fourth person in our group deemed it a great adventure.

Bottom line, the place feels like it has a seedy undertone to it, but we got out of there without getting sick or having any issues.

3  Thank Nittany93