“Really no reason for a tourist to visit here”
Review of Lexington Market

Lexington Market
Ranked #65 of 229 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: A colorful, busy, open-air market specializing in seafood.
Brooklyn, Ohio
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Really no reason for a tourist to visit here”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I like visiting markets. Markets are usually something I see out in every city I visit whether it be a permanent market, a daily one or a pop-up outdoor one. Usually I'm excited to find some amazing food, which I'm sure is in here somewhere, and just people watch and take in a local, non-touristy type of environment. This place however disappointed. It didn't feel like a very safe area of town, it didn't feel like the people loitering around were very interested in shopping, and it didn't feel the sales taking place were all sales of legal nature. The building from the outside is nice and it's easy to get here on the Charm City Circulator, but inside it was a bit dirty/grimy/gritty/dingy - you get the idea. The police and market operators would be needed to help safeguard this historical market and make it a place that leaves a good taste in visitor's mind. I'm sure no local who shops here would mind some improvements either. I don't expect every bit of a city to be like the tourist area the inner harbour is, but there definitely is something in between the inner harbour and Lexington Market in terms of safety and cleanliness.

Visited October 2013

• Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oyster Haven”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

A little uncomfortable in safety but the fresh shucked oysters are awesome! I went with a friend and we road the train right to the stop. It's great that way. It's not in the best area of town but the oysters are great and if you're looking for fried chicken or any part of the big then you'll find it there. But I do wonder how some place pass the health inspection.

Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“It's got all, even a soul”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Please please - add this attraction to your "10 things to do" list in Baltimore. And it does not matter if you are planning on buying something or not, but a real life jazz band playing in a middle of a day? That's seriously cool. Cakes of shape an colour one could not imagine in their weirdest dreams? Go for it. Sea food - all size and origin? Come on! It's a beyond-a-crab-city as it turns put. I loved it, although it was a bit embarrassing initially for I was the only Caucasian there, but I tried to do my best blending in. It's your turn now. My respect, Lexington Market

Visited October 2013
Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Most previous reviews, good and bad, seem true to my experience. If you're expecting Pike Place, Faneuil Hall, Reading Terminal, etc., you will probably be disappointed.

We walked from Mount Vernon on a Saturday morning- this I can't recommend. I live and work in a city with a lot of problems and "unsafe areas", but I was surprised (and saddened) by the number of people this much of a mess, on the streets, in the day time- and by the absence of unintoxicated pedestrians (really, we were it). BUT, we were not approached or accosted by anyone. Next time, light rail!

In the market- a snapshot of urban life. Wish we stayed longer for the music...next time!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank CTSusanna
Reading, PA
724 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,719 helpful votes
“Not much of a "market"”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The market dates back to 1782, but the structure is not that old. As other have said, it is more of a food court housed in a rustic building. There were all types of restaurants - fried chicken, Greek, Mexican, Italian, sandwich shops, the famous Faidley's crab cakes - but very few market stands selling produce, meats, deli items, poultry, seafood and vegetables.

Because it is old, it is dark and dingy (and a bit odiferous). It is located in an urban setting, not in the best neighborhood. I used the bathroom and had never encountered a sign before that said "no shaving, bathing, drinking, drugs, loitering, loud music" and a few other "no's" I cannot recall. There must have been a problem with those activities to warrant such a sign. For those not used to cities, caution is advised. At lunch time there is plenty of activity, but it is always good to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. Another note of caution, keep your eye on your cell phones. All over Baltimore there were signs posted about theft of cell phones and other electronic devices.

Visited August 2013