“Nice place; don't expect the Smithsonian!”

Star-Spangled Banner Flag House
Ranked #47 of 243 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of Mary Pickersgill, the woman who sewed a U.S. flag during the War of 1812, inspiring the famous Francis Scott Key poem that became the American national anthem.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We are a home school family who visited here as part of my daughter's curriculum on the War of 1812. The house and museum were interesting to us and our 7 year old, and we spent a couple of hours here. This is certainly not an all day place to visit, and IMO the admission fees were a little steep for what you see ($22 for 2 adults and 1 child), The museum is very small and holds just a few artifacts. The house itself is the treasure and I could see spending an hour seeing it and furnishings. The parking on the street was very easy and unless the day was busy you should be able to get a very close spot. If you go inside you can get a parking pass that permits you to park in special areas on the street designated for Flag House visitors. The short (9 minute) video in the museum is different but was an interesting look at the story of the flag. The area of the museum that sells little gifts was appropriate for my 7 yo and reasonably priced. The exhibits in the house itself are a little tired, looking a bit dated but still relevant and interesting. The cell phone tour in the house is easy to navigate or choose the book tour to skim over the items of interest. Overall I would recommend this site to a visitor who is interested in the history of the flag and needs to spend a couple of hours somewhere. We read every sign and look at every artifact and this was about a 2 hour visit. One more thing- the website for the house recommends that you buy tickets in advance because they "sell out" fast. Today when we were there - during our entire visit- we never saw another visitor. so I'm not sure when tickets "sell out fast" but it seems an exaggeration to say the least. A nice visit but not a place I'd return to; glad we went but don't expect a Smithsonian!

2  Thank ncbunnie

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We went with the cub scouts. It was very interesting and our guides were very good but the younger kids did get bored@at times

1  Thank Richard V
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had were in charge of a convention made up of visitors from up and down the eastern seaboard. Lots of history in those states! But our Star-Spangled Banner Flag House made me proud! The venue has increased from having Mary's home open with pretty much authentic furnishings to an outstanding museum located adjacent to the property. Driving up and seeing the huge replicia of our flag on the window of the building was incredible!
Recommended for all ages. So interesting!!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The house was owned by Rebecca Young who had sewn flags for George Washington. Her widowed daughter Mary Pickersgill and her daughter Caroline moved in. The 3 women owned a flag making business. I had always wondered how she got the job. The flag was laid out on the floor of a brewery which was next door where the African American Museum is today. The house is interesting to tour. Look for the huge screened modern glass building. Inside the new part is a small display and the gift shop. There is a short film which should be seen-just ask and they will start it for you. do not bother going upstairs. Parking is tight in the area but there is a garage across the street. Within walking distance is the Civil War Museum, Mo's Fish and several Italian restaurants. Couple blocks behind is a block of delis

1  Thank spinkick
Reviewed September 17, 2013

After riding around looking for this place we finally found it. No map had an address for it. If it wasn't for my GPS on my phone I would never have found it. When we got there it was "Closed on Monday's". I could understand if it was winter but not now!

1  Thank Andy C

Been to Star-Spangled Banner Flag House? Share your experiences!