“Interesting”

Star-Spangled Banner Flag House
Ranked #49 of 229 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of Mary Pickersgill, the woman who sewed a U.S. flag during the War of 1812, inspiring the famous Francis Scott Key poem that became the American national anthem.
Dover, Delaware, United States
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We went with the cub scouts. It was very interesting and our guides were very good but the younger kids did get bored@at times

1 Thank Richard V

Pasadena, MD
“Made me proud to be a Marylander!”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had were in charge of a convention made up of visitors from up and down the eastern seaboard. Lots of history in those states! But our Star-Spangled Banner Flag House made me proud! The venue has increased from having Mary's home open with pretty much authentic furnishings to an outstanding museum located adjacent to the property. Driving up and seeing the huge replicia of our flag on the window of the building was incredible!
Recommended for all ages. So interesting!!

Visited November 2013
Illinois
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Oh say can you see”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The house was owned by Rebecca Young who had sewn flags for George Washington. Her widowed daughter Mary Pickersgill and her daughter Caroline moved in. The 3 women owned a flag making business. I had always wondered how she got the job. The flag was laid out on the floor of a brewery which was next door where the African American Museum is today. The house is interesting to tour. Look for the huge screened modern glass building. Inside the new part is a small display and the gift shop. There is a short film which should be seen-just ask and they will start it for you. do not bother going upstairs. Parking is tight in the area but there is a garage across the street. Within walking distance is the Civil War Museum, Mo's Fish and several Italian restaurants. Couple blocks behind is a block of delis

Visited October 2013
1 Thank spinkick
Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Flag House”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

After riding around looking for this place we finally found it. No map had an address for it. If it wasn't for my GPS on my phone I would never have found it. When we got there it was "Closed on Monday's". I could understand if it was winter but not now!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Andy C
Columbus, OH
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“tour was catered to the audience”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We arrived and there was no one there. I worried other people might know something I didn't about avoiding the place.

Instead, we ended up having a private tour of this cute little house. We traveled with young children. When I asked our tour guide to mention somethings to our young child, I expected like "they had to use candles in the dark instead of lights" and then move on to giving my husband and I information on the house. Instead, our tour guide basicly focused the entire tour on my child. Oh the learning!! I was so glad we took this tour.

Also, there was a play room for kids that was really good for teaching social studies.

Visited April 2013