“tour was catered to the audience”

Star-Spangled Banner Flag House
Ranked #49 of 229 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of Mary Pickersgill, the woman who sewed a U.S. flag during the War of 1812, inspiring the famous Francis Scott Key poem that became the American national anthem.
Columbus, OH
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“tour was catered to the audience”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We arrived and there was no one there. I worried other people might know something I didn't about avoiding the place.

Instead, we ended up having a private tour of this cute little house. We traveled with young children. When I asked our tour guide to mention somethings to our young child, I expected like "they had to use candles in the dark instead of lights" and then move on to giving my husband and I information on the house. Instead, our tour guide basicly focused the entire tour on my child. Oh the learning!! I was so glad we took this tour.

Also, there was a play room for kids that was really good for teaching social studies.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank starlight1010

Cumberland, Maryland
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Wonderfull historic museum and don't forget the Rose Garden”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is an outstanding small museum about Mary Pickersgill who made the flag for Ft McHenry for the War of 1812 when the British tried to burn Baltimore like they had at Washington, but were stopped when Ft Mchenry would not surrender and the Maryland Militia stopped the British Army at what is now Patterson Park,
Don't forget to visit the Rose Garden at the Flag house. It is lovingly tended by the Maryland Rose Society. There is a number of Mary Pickersgill roses which are yellow blend miniflora roses, named to honor Mary Pickersgill.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank navybng
Baltimore, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Small but Nice”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

A small historic building with an excellent tour guide. Lots of good history is related. Nothing fancy, just good history tour. No crowds.

Visited June 2012
Ellicott City, Maryland, United States
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Quick and Informative”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were surprised to learn of the house and museum! The museum, movie and tour of the house take about an hour if you take your time with all the details-and you should! Two docents called out sick the day we visited but we took the tour with our cell phone on speaker. The museum employee was very helpful and answered all of our questions. Visitors get a feel for what life was like at the time as well as Baltimore's significance in the War of 1812. Combine this trip with Fort McHenry for a complete picture or walk over to Little Italy for a meal!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Lynn R
Baltimore, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A moving exhibit”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

When my family and I went to the Flag House, I was truly moved. I could really picture in my mind what happened during that time. It is a very educational exhibit and I really enjoyed it!