“Fun Time With The Kids”
Review of National Aquarium

National Aquarium
Ranked #4 of 237 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the world's best aquariums, the National Aquarium's mission is to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures. It champions environmental initiatives by engaging with visitors, volunteers, education groups and schools to actively participate in the preservation of the world's natural resources and living systems. The National Aquarium delivers meaningful experiences through its living collection of more than 17,000 animals from more than 750 species of fish, birds, amphibians, reptiles, marine mammals and sharks, as well as through exclusive behind-the-scenes experiences like sleepovers and tours, science-based education programs and hands-on experiences in the field.
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My kids love aquariums. They do a tremendous amount with this aquarium given its relatively limited footprint and extensive exhibits. However, that does mean that the facility is typically crowded and you are forced to maneuver through many, many vertical levels of exhibits. This also results in the aquarium's "no stroller" policy which is likely an issue for many with small children (as it was for us).

There are some very good (and very large) exhibits featuring reef fish, including sharks, turtles, and thousands of species of fish. There are also a number of smaller exhibits featuring just a few species in much smaller exhibit aquariums.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

This aquarium was so beautiful and clean back 10+ years ago when we had season passes. I was very disappointed with my recent visit to a place my children and I loved attending before. It didn't feel like anyone took pride in the appearance of the tanks or facility. There was even a fish that had a huge camen bite on it still in the tank with the camen that bit it. Not worth the amount of money we spent to get in.

1  Thank Gary C
Kate R, Public Relations Manager at National Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Hi Gary, Thank you for your feedback. I'm disappointed to hear about your recent visit. We love when our guests come back, especially with their children! I'm sorry you did not have the great experience you've had in the past.

I'd love to hear more about what you found lacking in our appearance. We are always striving toward providing our guests with an amazing facility and I'd love to hear any input you have on what we can work on. Myself and others are available at social@aqua.org if you find the time to share.

Also, I've checked in with our Amazon River Forest staff about the bitten fish and wanted to let you know that fish was fine, despite what the bite looked like. As animals often do, this fish had a run in with another animal in its habitat. The team consistently monitors the animals in our exhibits but we truly appreciate you looking out too!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Lots of fish and other sea creatures with a few creative exhibits. They have a huge dolphin area but offered no scheduled viewings or trainings/interactions so you have to wait around and see if something happens. Other viewing areas were stuffy and hot with little to no air flowing. If you want to get up close to many of the exhibits you have to be VERY patient. The gift shop is horribly expensive and the admission is terribly overpriced for what this attraction offers. There are no student rates. This left me with the impression that they just want your money.

Thank you for visiting and for your feedback. Our mission is to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures and that is what we want for our guests - to be inspired. I'm sorry to hear that you did not feel that way! Please note that our admission prices help us work toward that mission (not to mention, help us feed our more than 17,000 animals).

Our Dolphin Discovery exhibit format has changed over the years to provide a more open environment for all to enjoy and watch the dolphins, much like you do with our sharks and other animals. We consistently have staff and marine mammal experts available to talk to and do regular informative, often interactive, talks. We hope the next time you join us, you'll visit us to enjoy this exhibit.

I'd love to hear from you what kind of student rates you look for when visiting a facility like ours. Have you seen student rates at other locations? We are constantly looking to improve ourselves for our guests and would love to hear more. I'm always available at social@aqua.org. Thanks again for your feedback!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We thought the aquarium was wonderful. There are many levels. You can watch them train the dolphins.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I visited this aquarium about 10 years ago and loved it. I was very glad to see that they have added several new exhibits and it is even better. Out of all of the aquariums that I have visited, the National Aquarium is bar far #1!!