“Great visit”
Review of National Aquarium

National Aquarium
Ranked #4 of 245 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the world's best aquariums, the National Aquarium's mission is to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures. It champions environmental initiatives by engaging with visitors, volunteers, education groups and schools to actively participate in the preservation of the world's natural resources and living systems. The National Aquarium delivers meaningful experiences through its living collection of more than 17,000 animals from more than 750 species of fish, birds, amphibians, reptiles, marine mammals and sharks, as well as through exclusive behind-the-scenes experiences like sleepovers and tours, science-based education programs and hands-on experiences in the field.
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Great trip and enjoyed the National Aquarium I believe my granddaughter took 276 pictures she loved everything about it.
Was during Easter vacation so there were pretty big crowds each day but they handle the traffic well and kept everything moving.
All the informational personnel throughout the property were there and very helpful if you had a question. Would go again and I know one 8 year old would tell she's in if Grandpa wants to go back. Nice time.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,954)

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Came here with our 2 year old. We liked all the tanks and that they had ledges so we didn't have to lift her up. Our favorite was the octopus. Not much to see in the rainforest. Did I miss something? Dolphins just swam around nothing special. They'd be better having a little schedule of events you could go see. Children's area was super lame. Camden aquarium is much better for small children. And the price. Goodness!!

Kate H, Public Relations Manager at National Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. We aim to inspire and delight our guests, young to old, so while I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our octopus Cordelia, I'm disappointed to hear it was difficult for you and your child.

We offer event schedules that include more than 40 interactions daily on our maps and digital message boards throughout the buildings. I'm sorry these places were not sufficient for you - could you possibly provide some insight into what might have helped?

Throughout our exhibits, we offer steps for small children, but I'd love to hear more from you on what might be helpful for you and a 2 year old.

We truly appreciate your feedback and we're always trying to improve our experience. I'd really love to hear any suggestions you have! Please feel free to email me at social@aqua.org. Thanks again for sharing!

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I took Dad to visit the aquarium for his birthday; he hasn't been since it first opened and it has changed immensely since then. We loved just hanging out and trying to take good pictures of the amazing animals. We loved the 4-D movie "Salmon Run" especially having just visited Alaska last year.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

The layout of the Aquarium is really brilliant. We also did a behind the scenes tour, which considering the cost includes admission was really a great deal.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Aquarium takes a lot of heat for being an expensive outing, but so is the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and large aquariums everywhere. Our visit coincided with Spring Break in the Baltimore area (Good Friday). We had planned on a mid-afternoon visit to avoid the crowds, not knowing about spring break. We arrived at 2:30 but the next available timed entry was 5:45. This gave us time to walk along the harbor area. We even got a movie in at the Landmark Harbor East cinema and browsing Whole Foods before returning. The aquarium is prepared to deal with large crowds, and the line for entry was long but orderly. Once inside, your route is clearly directed so that you can take in the main reef/shark attraction. The place was packed, and I felt sorry for little people and young children. The first part of your journey takes you past many smaller tanks, sandwiched between dividing walls of interpretive signage, and these areas were hard to view in the crush. However, the main attraction--the sharks--are viewed on multiple levels and on multiple walkways, culminating in the lowest level of the building in which you are truly "swimming with the sharks", viewing them from floor to ceiling windows. In addition to the reef tank, there is a wing for Australian wildlife (why?), the dolphin tank with bleacher seating (we did not stay for the program), and not-to-miss room of various dramatically lit jellyfish tanks. There are also places to eat (but, why eat there when there are all the restaurants in the Inner Harbor?) and at least two gift shops. There were not enough scholarly books at the gift shop for my tastes, but, I was tempted by a plush jellyfish.

1  Thank CriticalGrrl