“Great for all ages”
Review of National Aquarium

National Aquarium
Ranked #4 of 245 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the world's best aquariums, the National Aquarium's mission is to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures. It champions environmental initiatives by engaging with visitors, volunteers, education groups and schools to actively participate in the preservation of the world's natural resources and living systems. The National Aquarium delivers meaningful experiences through its living collection of more than 17,000 animals from more than 750 species of fish, birds, amphibians, reptiles, marine mammals and sharks, as well as through exclusive behind-the-scenes experiences like sleepovers and tours, science-based education programs and hands-on experiences in the field.
Reviewed January 14, 2014

A really great experience, extremely informative, and very knowledgeable staff! You have to take time to see the dolphin exhibit/show, people of all ages will enjoy their "play" time! Make sure to allow yourself at least a minimum of 2 1/2 hours to see everything in the aquarium. The 4D movie experience is more than worth the $5 purchase and an awesome experience!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,990)

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I visited the aquarium with my 3 year old grandson on a very wet and dreary Saturday. A lot of other people had the same idea I did, so it got a bit crowded after lunch. After entering the museum, one of the first things that the staff wants you to do is to rid yourselves of extra belongings. They would like you to trade in your stroller for a bjorn-like front pack for your little ones. You'll understand why they want you to ditch the stroller when you venture around the dimly lit halls of the upper floors. A stroller is really kind of a nuisance up there. That said, they attached a handicap decal to my stroller when I told them I needed it to either move my grandson when he tired, and his "never know when he'll regress" diaper bag. That was lesson one. Lesson two was that I should not have dressed him in navy blue, because he was hard to see sometimes. I would advise that just like on Halloween, you give your child one of those glowing necklaces to easily find him/her.
Lesson three would be to start at the top level and work your way down. The exhibits on the top floors are smaller and draw crowds. It takes awhile to find those poison dart frogs, and no one wants to leave without finding at least one. Start there and keep the large exhibits (reefs and dolphins) for when there are more people in the aquarium. Those exhibits are large enough to easily handle bigger crowds.
Because I had a handicap decal, I used elevators. Be forewarned that not all elevators go to the top levels. Fortunately, this aquarium has ample staff to assist, and one of the staff members led me to the proper elevator to get to the top.
The dolphins and jellyfish display are off in another building that you get to by an enclosed bridge. My grandson really enjoyed the jellyfish, while he didn't seem too keen on the dolphins. He was also impressed with the shark tank and particularly enjoyed seeing a very large sea turtle.
The cafeteria is reasonable and again the staff there were great. There were also other smaller snack areas. We finished off our visit by taking in a "4-D" (the seats had special effects) movie of Happy Feet. It was only fifteen minutes long, but was perfect for the younger set. Our seats shook, we were poked at, rained on, snowed on and bubbles blew by with the wind. My grandson ate it up.
We arrived around 10AM and by 1:30PM we had seen as much as a three year old could take in in a day. For older kids, plan on more time. It's a tad expensive, but a must see if you're in Baltimore.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This probably on most people's to do list when visiting Baltimore. It is definitely worth visiting. It is 1/2 to 3/4 day worth of activities inside. It is wheel chair friendly. It also has a jungle and dessert and bird section which I enjoyed more than the marine life. The dolphin show is fun too. It is a bit pricey though. I'd suggest bringing your own lunch.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Had a day to spend in Baltimore so I took in the Aquarium. I personally think the $34+ price for admission is a bit steep, but I guess since it runs on donations that's expected. Decent aquarium. Lots to learn and the fish all look healthy and lively.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I visited the aquarium during a visit to Baltimore with friends. I was not sure what to expect but this place was pretty impressive. There is just floor after floor of tanks with different types of fish. They have a multiple floor shark tank with many different varieties of sharks just swimming all around you. There was a rainforest section and they also had a small indoor stadium with a dolphin show/encounter. The trip took up most of our day-there was so much to see and we didn't want to miss anything. It is also very conveniently located in Downtown Baltimore Inner Harbor so there are plenty of places to eat all around the aquarium. Worth the trip-definitely something to see! I visited during the winter and it was pretty crowded so just know to expect the crowd.