“surprise stop”
Review of National Aquarium

National Aquarium
Ranked #4 of 243 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the world's best aquariums, the National Aquarium's mission is to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures. It champions environmental initiatives by engaging with visitors, volunteers, education groups and schools to actively participate in the preservation of the world's natural resources and living systems. The National Aquarium delivers meaningful experiences through its living collection of more than 17,000 animals from more than 750 species of fish, birds, amphibians, reptiles, marine mammals and sharks, as well as through exclusive behind-the-scenes experiences like sleepovers and tours, science-based education programs and hands-on experiences in the field.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

With rainy weather in Virginia cancelling our outdoor plans we decided to stop here on our way home. I was travelling in a family group of 10, 6 of which were children. This stop turned out to be a highlight of this years vacationing. FANTASTIC!!. A little costly, until you see what you are paying for, the stroller rule upset me until you see just how crowded the museum is, and the reasoning behind it. The Kids enjoyed it all, they were quite entertained as well as the rest of us, Great exhibits the ramp taking you from the Oceans top full of sunlight to the bottom of the ocean with little filtered light was quite amazing. I am already planning a nother trip there as there is much to see, inside and out

2  Thank J0hn224
Write a ReviewReviews (5,907)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had read reviews before our visit complaining that the aquarium was crowded, uncomfortably warm and over-priced. I have to agree with all three observations.

At $35 per adult, this was not an inexpensive outing. Despite being there early on a Saturday (before 9:30) the crowds in front of the exhibits were uncomfortably deep. The facility kept air-conditioning to a minimum, making the temperature barely tolerable.

Mostly we just weren't impressed with the exhibits (with the exception of the tropical aviary with several birds and golden lion tamarinds frolicking about). For the fish, they were just housed in unimaginative, small tanks.

This was in contrast to the aquarium that we visited in Seattle where the exhibits seemed to be set up to keep the residents happy and engaged. For example in Seattle, the octopus exhibit was two tanks with a tube in between that allowed the octopi to move between the environments at will.

I wouldn't visit this aquarium again and wouldn't recommend it.

2  Thank Cubechick
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I went here on a weekday and it was busy but not overly crowded. I thought all the exhibits were well organized and I loved the way the museum was set up. You start on the upper lvel and move your way down into the deeper ocean levels. The top floor was the rain forest where there are gorgeous birds, frogs, tamarin monkeys, and sloths to name a few. Take time to walk slowly and look carefully - I saw a frog no bigger than the nail on my pinkie.
I found the staff to be very helpful and courteous. They answered every question I asked and one person even went to check on some information for me - I really appreciated that!
I also liked the no stroller rule - Really, this is expensive to get into - $35 for an adult - and kids in strollers are just too young to appreciate or understand what they are seeing. Wait untl they are older. I wouldn't bring a child younger than school age - you're wasting your money and time.
I spent three hours and could have stayed longer but I had other sites to see - I wll definitely visit again!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We take a group of 40 teens to this aquarium every summer. The kids absolutely love it. The dolphin presentations are always the highlight, as are the sharks and the jelly fish. The staff is really good about interacting with the students and answering their questions. Lots of great photo ops!

1  Thank breoni
Reviewed June 21, 2013

During the tour, we were greeted by several guides who explained what the exhibit was. BUT, THE MOST SIGNIFICANT INDIVIDUAL WE ENCOUNTERED WAS A GREETER AT THE ENTRANCE TO THE AQUARIUM. Please don't consider this comment racist. But to be sure this man receives credit, I will describe his as a large black man with a deep voice. When we entered with our grandson, he immediately recognized my grandson's shirt as the "Kool Aid Kid", gave him a high five, welcomed him and left my grandson as well as us with an impression that he really enjoyed his job and the visitors. HE IS A GREAT ASSET TO THE BALTIMORE NATIONAL AQUARIUM. SORRY I DID NOT GET HIS NAME. I saw him later outside the aquarium. he still exhibited the same positive attitude we saw inside the aquarium. KEEP HIM!

1  Thank Bill P
Kate H, Public Relations Manager at National Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you, Bill, for your amazing feedback! We know exactly who you're talking to - Tim! He's an amazing employee and we truly appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us. We've sent this information to Tim and his supervisors. Thank you again for visiting with us and sending your feedback!