“Worth the visit but not on a school day!”
Review of National Aquarium

National Aquarium
Ranked #4 of 243 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the world's best aquariums, the National Aquarium's mission is to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures. It champions environmental initiatives by engaging with visitors, volunteers, education groups and schools to actively participate in the preservation of the world's natural resources and living systems. The National Aquarium delivers meaningful experiences through its living collection of more than 17,000 animals from more than 750 species of fish, birds, amphibians, reptiles, marine mammals and sharks, as well as through exclusive behind-the-scenes experiences like sleepovers and tours, science-based education programs and hands-on experiences in the field.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

It cost $60 to enter the aquarium for the two of us on a Monday morning but, would have cost even more had we wanted to see the 3D movie once inside. It took less than one and a half hours to look at all of the exhibits and to watch the dolphins perform in their pool for 20 of these minutes. Overall it was interesting and informative but not a patch on other aquariums that my family have visited around the world, such as in Hong Kong, Hawaii and London.

I did not think the $30 per piece entrance fee was worth the experience and left thinking were were short changed from the experience especially as it was so terribly noisy with all the school kids screaming and shouting throughout.

I would certainly avoid going to visit the aquarium during any school days as both my wife and I left with terrible headaches!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

After 5pm the entry fee is reduced from $40 - to a more reasonable price.
At the start there appears to be more photos of fish than actual fish...but as you go deeper inside you get to see a wide variety of fish, birds, sharks and dolphins

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We really enjoyed seeing all of the fish, they have a lot of variety. A must see in Baltimore. The dolphin area was a little disappointing. The jelly fish exhibit was awesome!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife and I drove up from DC to visit the aquarium and grab a good lunch in Fell's Point. The price, at $30 a piece, is a bit steep. But in retrospect, there aren't many opportunities to visit anything harboring the quality or content of this aquarium. I would suggest getting tickets online, it saves a wait in line at the gate. Parking wise, there are lots of garages in the vicinity (we parked in one on South and Lombard, $10 for a full day on weekends).
The aquarium itself is awesome. It is very well organized, they make it very easy for you to make your way through without questioning whether you missed something. Apparently they are opening a new exhibit with black tip reef sharks in the summer of 2013, so that might be worth the wait if you only plan on going once. There is already a cool shark exhibit so it's probably not that big of a deal. Every exhibit is excellent, there are no letdowns.
I would say a day trip to the aquarium and surrounding area is worth at least a 1.5 hour drive, more for me but I like driving. The only drawback is the price, but the amount of work they put into the building/exhibits makes it well worth it.

1  Thank brandon1989
Reviewed September 29, 2012

If I could give negative stars I would. I was at the Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg Tennesee this spring and it was amazing. To then visit the Baltimore Aquarium in July was a crushing blow. The tickets were part of a package at Brookshire Suites ( a very nice place to stay) but they were not free. Free is the only way I would go to this aquarium again....and honestly I wouldn't even go if it were free. Every 15 minutes they let in at least 1000 people and you can barely move let alone see a lot of the exhibits. No shows are included at this increased ticket price. When we slipped out a side door to escape the place, an employee concurred with our less than stellar opinion of the venue.

2  Thank jenniwren1
Colleen D, Public Relations Representative at National Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that your visit did not meet expectations. You are correct in that we admit guests in timed waves. We do this in order to be sure that the buildings remain far below maximum capacity and to provide a more positive visit for our guests. Though we admit in waves, guests certainly need not follow the crowd at the moment of the wave entrance. We have found that often times just waiting back 5 or 10 minutes and letting the rush go through may provide a less crowded experience.

Your one-star rating is very alarming to us and we'd love to know more specific information on how we may improve! We would be appreciative if you could contact us on one of the channels provided on the "Contact Us" portion of our website to explain your trip in more detail. We strive to continuously act upon neutral or negative feedback in order to improve the experience for all visitors.